Thread: Gotta brag a little

Basic Member

Gotta brag a little

I just finished my first build. It's a 270 WSM on a blueprinted savage 10 action. It has a 26" Shilen stainless barrel #7 contour, OD Green Cerakote, Precision recoil lug and no barrel nut. Bedded HS Precision stock with riser, AICS style DBM and Alpha mag. Hoptic ammo quiver. EGW 0 MOA rail with LaRue PSR 20MOA mount, Vortex bubble level, and Steiner T5Xi 5-25 scope. Accutrigger, Griffin armament muzzle break and form 1 suppressor.

After that mouthful of specs, I'm glad it's done after about 6 months. I can't wait to shoot it and hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome looking rifle

So no barrel nut? Headspace off the shoulder. Finish reaming after barrel install.

Why would you use a savage action if you are going to eliminate the barrel nut.

It is really not that hard to do.You have the action face to the bolt face dimension. The thickness of the recoil lug. The desired case protrusion from the breech face of the barrel. Cut your tenon to the calculated length. Headspace while in the lathe if you are unsure.

No big deal really.(Some people think that the floating bolt head fixes the misalignment/Axis of the barrel to action junction)
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    Awesome looking rifle

So no barrel nut? Headspace off the shoulder. Finish reaming after barrel install.

I didn't do it myself, but my gunsmith said it's technically more precise without a barrel nut. Plus, I bought a barrel that's the same diameter as the action, so it wouldn't have really worked well anyway. I used the action because it's what I had and this gun will never have a new barrel put on it until it's worn out, so no real need for a nut.

phantomphyxer
    Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    Awesome looking rifle

Not really any different than doing a Rem 700. You can do the reverse with a Rem 700 and use a barrel nut aka RemAge.

Basic Member
    There are fans of the "nut" on the Remington side as well as fans of "shouldered" barrels among the Savage owners. An argument for either can probably be made on paper but in the end it's really what the owner wants.

I'm getting ready to re-barrel my favorite Remington and the new barrel will have a nut. I like the idea of ordering a barrel from a far away barrel maker and being able to install it in short order without having to own a lathe or wait for a couple months for a 'smith to do it for me. There are some who would rather not mess around with wrench, vise, gauge, etc.

Basic Member
    Nice setup. I would shoulder the barrel also just because I think the nut is ugly (ducking for cover).

Seems like the counterbore would have to be cut a little roomy to do a "Remage". No doubt it's ok though as there seem to be plenty around.

Banned
    Well I suppose that is why Savage has gone to those useless smooth nuts, to appease someone who just thinks form is more important function. They often are democrats.

To each his own, I think the stainless nuts are quite cool. I wish I could afford to have one on each build.

They also show off the gun as a "I built this sucker"

Ok, counter flame over. Someone needed to do it. On this site though, egads.

Anyone can buy a gun, not everyone can build one.

Very VERY nice rifle !!!

Any reason why you chose 270 wsm for a PRS type build ???

Basic Member

Gotta brag a little

Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    Very VERY nice rifle !!!

Any reason why you chose 270 wsm for a PRS type build ???
    Thanks! I think it looks good too. I'm actually very happy with everything except how much it weighs @ 17.6# unloaded.

It's a long story but I had a 270wsm that I was going to modify and I bought a stock that didn't fit but was higher priced than the gun, so I sold the wsm. Well, I had already bought bullets, brass, primers, and powder, dies, etc. so I was still into the caliber for a few hundred dollars. So I stuck with it on the new build. Hoping it goes well on Tuesday when I go shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    Well I suppose that is why Savage has gone to those useless smooth nuts, to appease someone who just thinks form is more important function. They often are democrats.

To each his own, I think the stainless nuts are quite cool. I wish I could afford to have one on each build.

Far from a Democrat here, my political beliefs lie just to the right of Atilla the Hun.

Build you say? Screwing a barrel on is hardly the definition of build.

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post

I'm with you RC20... There are some who just want to have the gun built for them... Then there's the others who feel a great sense of pride by doing the research, sourcing the parts and tools, and then spending the time and sweat to put it all together (semi-build).

So when you sit down next to a high priced custom built rifle and shoot the same little bug holes, you know it's because "YOU did it right"...

260 Rem Match
    1st 5 shot group during break in (shots 13-17) @ 100 yards. No load development at all... Just 42 gr. H4350 shooting 143 ELD-X @ 2.89 COAL.