Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Striker mid to rear trigger conversion instructions?

Basic Member

Striker mid to rear trigger conversion instructions?

Before making this post I spent 4 hours searching this site for instructions on how to do this conversion.
    And while I have found plenty of threads talking about it.
    Not one of them actually show or tell exactly what to do.
    Does anyone actually have this information?
    Thank you for your time.

The striker should be an easy swap. I am not sure if the sear is unique but if seams like at the least it would be a trigger.( I have one if you want to try) and at the most it would need a sear, hanger and trigger. The safety stuff should be the same.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    If you can swap an XP 100 to a rear trigger, you can do the same to a Striker. Think Rifle Basix without all the linkage crap.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

If this is 1st gen. then it has all the linkages and stuff. I don't think there us any way to convert it.
    Maybe Sharp Shooter can chime in.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    Yes 1st generation

If it looks like this on the bottom I think you have options.

Random NFO
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...Savage-striker
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

It is still just a savage short action. Just take off all the trigger linkage and add a new savage rifle trigger.

Basic Member
    Billy if you do convert it to rear trigger what are you planning for a stock?

Basic Member
    Probably make an aluminum clone of those 3 fingers (or whatever the hell it is called) sweet stocks I've seen online

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1 View Post
    It is still just a savage short action. Just take off all the trigger linkage and add a new savage rifle trigger.
    I've never torn apart a savage anything.
    So I am not real excited to start removing parts without a clue of what I am doing.
    Especially since either no-one has ever done it before.
    Or it is some kind of deep dark secret.I have had six replies.
    And am not an inch closer to knowing how to do it

Team Savage
    What you need to do, being that "I've never torn apart a Savage anything" is track down a local gunsmith. I would recommend picking up a Rifle Basix I trigger and have your man install it. End of problems.
    I have converted a couple of Remington XP 100s to rear trigger with not to much of a problem. And a jive Savage isn't any more complicated than they are. Find a good smith and get it done.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    Still saving pennies for a precision rifles aluminum stock and a trigger
    I have a full bull macgowan 223 wylde barrel.
    When I'm done I will do some show and tell

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    If it looks like this on the bottom I think you have options.

Random NFO
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...Savage-striker
    Hello robinhood, I resurrected this old thread in a search for rear grip strikers
    I am in current planning stages of building a long action striker. It will be a rear grip and I will modify a wood savage stock to serve as the rear grip.
    I have about 10 barrels to play with right nowincuding a variety of calibers! I can't find where anyone has used a long action for this and I am aware of TAG rules concerning barrel and overall lengths. What are your thoughts on this conversion?

Basic Member
    Consider not tearing up a perfectly good Striker pistol. Call the factory and buy an undesignated action to build on if you want to tinker.

You will have a problem finding a rear grip stock for it. Unless you are a master at fabrication, you are in for a major project! Ask me how I know. I tried the same thing. They don't make the old stuff anymore, I'll buy it but please, don't destroy the Striker for a project action when there are two options.

Consider buying the NEW AND MODERN rear grip 110 pistol about to hit the shelves. You can't "build" one from the old frame and stock at the new price. The folks at the factory told me last week to be on the lookout for the new promotion.

If you are set on tearing up a perfectly good pistol, there is a stock maker in Montana that may help you, Jim Rockwell. He can be found on both his old and new web pages.

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=57797 Don't know if there is a long action, call the factory, they answer the phones.

It is as simple as removing the current trigger from the mag well. remove the center pivot pin with the transfer bar and sear release with the red paint and put a 10/110 trigger in its place. nothing is destroyed or cut up. save the old parts with the stock and it can be changed back with ease. if you compare it to a rifle trigger you will note the only difference is the finger spur is machined off. if you need to buy a trigger look at a Rifle Basix 110 trigger, it uses coil springs that will allow lighter pressure. any other after market 110 trigger is just as easy one pin or machine screw, depending on builder to install. Jim Rock or (Rock Jim on fb) would be one to talk to about wood, Joe Updike at accurate rifle systems for alum.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Appleseed View Post
    Consider not tearing up a perfectly good Striker pistol. Call the factory and buy an undesignated action to build on if you want to tinker.

You will have a problem finding a rear grip stock for it. Unless you are a master at fabrication, you are in for a major project! Ask me how I know. I tried the same thing. They don't make the old stuff anymore, I'll buy it but please, don't destroy the Striker for a project action when there are two options.

Consider buying the NEW AND MODERN rear grip 110 pistol about to hit the shelves. You can't "build" one from the old frame and stock at the new price. The folks at the factory told me last week to be on the lookout for the new promotion.

If you are set on tearing up a perfectly good pistol, there is a stock maker in Montana that may help you, Jim Rockwell. He can be found on both his old and new web pages.

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=57797 Don't know if there is a long action, call the factory, they answer the phones.
    I didn't expect to find a stock for it, I believe I can modify the wood stock to my liking and form fits function. As far as barrel machining costs I have done This for several yearsandexpectto come upwitha qualityfished project. What did your version turn out like? Do you have any pictures?
    What do i need to know in order toattemptthis?
    Thank you,
    Randy (mnbogboy) btw I will not be modifying or destroying a perfectly good striker! Why else would I want to build one?

Basic Member
    I reread your post and figure you must be using a non-designated action, not the Striker? Or you are making the barrels over 16"?

On the new non designated action from the factory, I used a rifle stock pattern with a pistol grip like the BVSS and gave it to a shop with a very good duplicating/cutting machine. It came out ok but was clunky more so than a factory Striker stock. Sold the whole thing to a pistol shooter in Penn. Don't know if he ever finished the project.

I am about to try a wood stock from Jim Rockwell and hopefully he can make the grip handle less diameter and somewhat longer with the thumb channel moved more level. My hands/fingers are medium and I find the old stock clunky. I shoot .223, not the big stuff, sold the .243 barrel as it had quite the punch and jumped on the bench.

I understand members changing to rear grip. With the new Savage pistols coming on the market I really think it will cost more to modify in dollars and time vs a new/improved factory model.

Basic Member
    I reread your post and figure you must be using a non-designated action, not the Striker? Or you are making the barrels over 16"?

On the new non designated action from the factory, I used a rifle stock pattern with a pistol grip like the BVSS and gave it to a shop with a very good duplicating/cutting machine. It came out ok but was clunky more so than a factory Striker stock. Sold the whole thing to a pistol shooter in Penn. Don't know if he ever finished the project.

I am about to try a wood stock from Jim Rockwell and hopefully he can make the grip handle less diameter and somewhat longer with the thumb channel moved more level. My hands/fingers are medium and I find the old stock clunky. I shoot .223, not the big stuff, sold the .243 barrel as it had quite the punch and jumped on the bench.

I understand members changing to rear grip. With the new Savage pistols coming on the market I really think it will cost more to modify in dollars and time vs a new/improved factory model.
    My question was about using a long action 110, definitely it would have been designated as a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    , I redirected this old thread in a search for rear grip strikers
    I am in current planning stages of building a long action striker. It will be a rear grip and I will modify a wood savage stock to serve as the rear grip.
    I have about 10 barrels to play with right now including a variety of calibers! I can't find where anyone has used a long action for this and I am aware of TAG rules concerning barrel and overall lengths. What are your thoughts on this conversion?
    So your not working with a striker, Your looking at building a rear grip, bolt action handgun. There is a difference in the minds of most of us. When i get to the shop I can post a couple pictures of some. now you have opened your self to a completely different group of stocks. choate is an easy one
    Last edited by Blue Avenger; 01-11-2022 at 08:38 PM.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    There are several members here that can assist answering your questions, Blue Avenger and N Cal Mike and Andrew (?}, probably more who have made a conversion or "built" pistol frames.

I am not one to show a how-to because after trying it, I won't bother doing it again. You might also try Specialty Pistols forum , there are some members of this forum there as well. Tinkerer over there is a good source for stocks, that is where I sold the project I mentioned. Andrew in OR a member that has some youtube vids of large caliber, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH-984iPdqw is worth a watch.

I do know from trials of cutting down a pistol grip rifle stock, it is not difficult, but my effort was an ugly pos. I'll order an undesignated action from the custom shop before I screw around with another "project pistol," or buy a new/improved 110 factory pistol frame. Here is a question, the new 110 pistol, is it a long or short left/right action?

Btw, my FFL ordered me an a VLP from the custom shop today.

Basic Member
    What action did you order?

Basic Member
    This is a VLP rifle right hand single shot, a non-desig action ordered a few year ago was a 12 right hand det/mag. For that project, the mag well was a problem trying to shape a pistol stock. A better craftsman may not have that problem.

I still question if the new 110 pistol is a long action, the calibers as advertised are short action I think? I have looked at those new rifle models similar to the upcoming pistol, but couldn't get through all of them to check calibers...week of X-mas was a shopping boondoggle.

Basic Member
    This is a VLP rifle right hand single shot, a non-desig action ordered a few year ago was a 12 right hand det/mag. For that project, the mag well was a problem trying to shape a pistol stock. A better craftsman may not have that problem.

I still question if the new 110 pistol is a long action, the calibers as advertised are short action I think? I have looked at those new rifle models similar to the upcoming pistol, but couldn't get through all of them to check calibers...week of X-mas was a shopping boondoggle.
    The new 110 is most likely a short action. Savage has done weird things in the past using the 110 number as a short action, a buddy of mine has a 110 Tactical in 6.5 creedmoor and it is indeed the same short action length as a model 10.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    What action did you order?
    I didnotorderan action buthavemanylongactiondonorsincludingcenterfeed& staggerfeed. I have anassorymentof afteraretandmodified savagetriggers

Basic Member
    That was painful to read… I’m not trying to be rude but maybe proof read before you hit post…

I’ve reread this entire thread now. I think the confusion is there are several different conversations going on in this one at once. mnbogboy2 replied to a 2017 thread where the original poster was asking about modifying a striker. But he’s asking about a long action designated action…

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast