Thread: Got the bug bad enough to finally get a 1899 but which one?

Basic Member

Got the bug bad enough to finally get a 1899 but which one?

I know this is going to open a whole can of worms but I'm stuck and the show is this weekend. Been admiring 1899s for years (and years) - always will look at any that are at the local shows - sold a gun recently and I think I have the money for just about any model except the rare calibers and fancy/engraved versions. I do find myself gravitating toward the prewar carbines; Fs with those terrific saddle rings and Hs, but quite frankly they're all pretty dang cool. If you were starting out again, what would choose to start your collection with a $2k budget? Thanks!

john

Basic Member
    Tough question! Why not start out with the 1899 that got it all started, one in .303 Savage! There's a lot of them out there and with your budget, you could get a nice one, or two! Good for starters! My second choice would be one in a rare caliber like .25-20, .32-40, or .38-55. These three were all discontinued in 1914 or so. Takedown would be nice, too! I always enjoy the hunt, so have fun!!

OOOPPPS! Meant to say .25-35, not .25-20. It was late!

Basic Member
    Thanks Big Al1 for the reply. I think a rare caliber model might be the most interesting route to take. I'll be off to the show in a few hours so maybe I'll get lucky?

John

Basic Member
    Five Savages at the show. All were pretty rough and post war as far as I could determine. Plus they were rough - pitted and poor stocks including two with filler in the wood. Very disappointing but not unexpected.

Basic Member
    I was at the Ashland, Wi. gun show a few weeks ago. There was a guy there selling off his collection of over 200 1899/99's. Bet he could have hooked you up!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    I was at the Ashland, Wi. gun show a few weeks ago. There was a guy there selling off his collection of over 200 1899/99's. Bet he could have hooked you up!!
    And you didn't tell him to come join us here? That may be a ban-able offense - I'm going to have to check the rules...
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    Oh man, you're killing me!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    And you didn't tell him to come join us here? That may be a ban-able offense - I'm going to have to check the rules...
    Sorry, I was staying with my friend at a campground!! It was an internet dead zone!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by levallois View Post
    Oh man, you're killing me!
    I went weak in the knees, and almost controlled my drooling. It was worse being there! He had an 1899 custom deluxe in .32-40. That's when I had to go on 02!! After they remove the paper bag from my face, I looked at the price tag and moved on.................reluctantly. But with your budget, you could have afforded it!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big al1 View Post
    ?................. He had an 1899 custom deluxe in .32-40..........................but with your budget, you could have afforded it!
    aaugh!