Thread: Savage 1915 Disassembly

Updated w pics - Savage 1915 Disassembly

Okay. I just bought a Savage 1915. It looks barely fired to me. I will post some pics in the next day or two. But I am having a problem. Looked at the disassembly process for the 1907 and it is pretty straight forward. However, it does not work for the 1915. I can't get the breech block to rotate. Is there a trick I don't know about? I find nothing online that helps. Can someone here help me? Thanks in advance.

Basic Member
    I found this youtube video that shows field stripping the Model 1915. It starts at about the 5:00 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jj9bKzX36I

Thank you. I found that video, but it is not working for me. Its also hard to tell what is actually happening because there is no voice audio. It looks like, as he drops the magazine, he is doing something to the slide and possibly slide release, can't tell. Also looks like he may be doing something with his left hand because of the way he holds the slide as he is rotating the breech block. Again, no audio so I can't tell. There has to be some little piece I'm missing.

Sometimes I have found that when I get frustrated about something that is not going like I think it should the best thing to do is just walk away from it for a while. Come back with a clear head and fresh outlook. This was one of those times.

The instructions and videos are correct except for one very small detail. The instructions are to lock the slide back and the breech block will rotate. Not entirely true. The slide must be fully retracted before the breech block will release. That is not where the slide locks. The slide will retract about 1/8" or so beyond the locked position. The slide must be held in that position before the breech block will release. Then it will release easily.

This requires what is sometimes described as the "armorers grip" to accomplish. The recoil spring is very heavy on this gun and I don't have the hand strength to do it any more. However if the gun is pressed downward with the slide pressed against the hard edge of a bench or table, padded of course, then you can to fully retract the slide one handed.

I should have realized this earlier, because I have a Beretta 85 that requires the same action in order to order to rotate the takedown lever on reassembly. Sometimes it takes more than once to teach an old dog a new trick.

Basic Member
    You should not have to pull the slide back past the safety locked rear position to remove the bolt, you do have to push up on the front of the cocking piece to allow it to turn --- make sure you do not get part of your thumb where it can be pinched! ****update - YOU DO NOT NEED TO PUSH UP ON THIS to remove the bolt****

**** update - This is from the position using the safety to lock the slide, it will not work using the magazine slide lock - that position is a little farther forward and you then will have to pull the slide back slightly.

-
    There is a video showing the bolt being replaced at the end of the first post in the sticky above - '1915 32 Pistol Project', the removal of the bolt was not covered but you can see the front of the cocking piece being pushed up to allow the bolt to be easily inserted for reassembly.
    Last edited by Sav22; 05-28-2017 at 11:53 AM. Reason: correction

See the pics and tell me what you think. The pictures don't do it justice, its much nicer in the hand.
    Not bad for a 100 year old gun.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. In my many hours dealing with this yesterday, I actually tried that. It is very stiff and difficult to compress. When I did manage to compress it and turn at the same time, the bolt would only rotate about 3 degrees or so. When I did manage to get it apart, from all appearances, this gun has been shot very little. I hesitate to say unfired, but I am hard pressed to find wear anywhere on it. The dealer I bought it from told me he was selling the collection of a long time Savage collector for the estate. Again, "he said" this individual was one of, if not the largest Savage collector in the country.

Do I believe all of that? I'm not sure. I do know I got more than I expected. I am hesitant to even fire it now. I will try to get some pics of the internals in a few days.

Basic Member
    Since I had already pulled the guns to double check my 'memory' of how it was done (which was a little off) I decided to do a quick video of the bolt removal and edited it into the end of the sticky above - here it is - bolt removal

Quote Originally Posted by Sav22 View Post
    Since I had already pulled the guns to double check my 'memory' of how it was done (which was a little off) I decided to do a quick video of the bolt removal and edited it into the end of the sticky above - here it is - bolt removal
    That is EXACTLY what I need. Thank you so much.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CATI1835 View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. In my many hours dealing with this yesterday, I actually tried that. It is very stiff and difficult to compress. When I did manage to compress it and turn at the same time, the bolt would only rotate about 3 degrees or so. When I did manage to get it apart, from all appearances, this gun has been shot very little. I hesitate to say unfired, but I am hard pressed to find wear anywhere on it. The dealer I bought it from told me he was selling the collection of a long time Savage collector for the estate. Again, "he said" this individual was one of, if not the largest Savage collector in the country.

Do I believe all of that? I'm not sure. I do know I got more than I expected. I am hesitant to even fire it now. I will try to get some pics of the internals in a few days.
    That's an exceptionally nice looking 1915, the rarest of the small Savage pistols.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk