Thread: what low rings for axis II?

Basic Member

what low rings for axis II?

I have an axis II heavy barrel 223rem topped with high burris rings and a vortex 6-18-44 scope. I'm not sure if i have the scope mounted too far forward or what but if i go medium rings the bolt smacks the scope. Im going to order a boyds classic stock and with the comb not being very high i would like to get a lower set of rings to bring it down a bit.

what rings do you guys prefer or do i have the scope mounted to far forward causing the bolt handle to hit the scope?

Basic Member
    I personally like the 1 piece Talley mounts and I carefully measure them to get the scope as low as possible. But yes, you can/will end up with the bolt handle hitting. Either replace it or do what I did and dremel it down until it clears.

On my Axises, I tend to use rings that are about 0.4" from the top of the rail to the bottom of the scope tube. I typically use EGW rails too, though so that may add a little bit to the height over bore compared to the factory mounts.

Basic Member
    The Weaver rails have the smallest profile I believe and coupled with some low profile Weaver tacticals rings work great for me.

Bold handle/ocular housing contact has always been an issue with the Axis due to the design of the bolt handle. If you're handy and don't mine a little DIY project, you can gain some clearance by grinding down the top side of the bolt handle removing the hump. See the two photo's from by .284 Axis build here:

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...Trigger/view/2

I went standard mounts and X-high Weaver rings. I have the Redfield Battlezone 6-18x44 mounted on mine using the prairie hunter stock, and a Blackhawk cheek riser. My bolt handle clears, but does rub a little. Has caused cosmetic damage but nothing more.

It's the bolt throw that is the issue.... It just rises too high, to get anything bigger than a 2-7 scope to clear. Therefore, you have to raise the scope, or you have to grind off the handle. I filed off the handle a bit on mine, but with lower rings, you may have a little more work to do.

Glades Armory has come out with an Axis specific bot handle, but I have not tried one out to see if the issue has been resolved. They state that it has been checked on the axis action for scope clearance though.