Thread: Accuracy Barrel Kit by EABCO

Team Savage

Accuracy Barrel Kit by EABCO

Anybody tried on of these? Who makes the blanks? Who chambers them? Picture in ad almost looks like a barrel liner. Price is not bad if the quality is there. Year ago I bought a 22RF Contender barrel from EA Brown and it is a shooter.

Bill

Banned
    ER Shaw makes Savage specific pre fit (chambered and threaded) .

http://www.eabco.com/Savage_Rifle_Ba..._E_R_Shaw.html

That would be the way to go.

Most people seem good with them. They are not a Shilen etc, but they seem to shoot pretty good with at a guess about 3/4 MOA.

As always, you can get a bad one, or you can get a better one. The lower the cost barrel the more likely you will get a bad one.

I do not know what their return policy is. Criterion, Shilen and the others will take barrel back and check them out.

If its a common caliber, Lother Walther makes pre fit Savages that are $370. Very nice interior finish (and exterior but I am not concerned with outside)

Varmint contour (Savage spec) is the heaviest you can get from them.

Mine was the nicest finished of the 3 after market barrels I have (LW, Shilen and then XCB being the roughest)

Better finish means easier cleaning.

Just a blank would cost a gun smith time for the threads and chambering.

Is XCB X-Caliber or X Criterion Barrel?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

From an example of 1, they are every bit as smooth(interior) as Savage's best factory effort; and shoot accordingly.
    While I can certainly agree with RC20 on the general notion of "you get what you pay for", I personally believe that MOST barrels are grossly over-priced. So to me the question becomes more of a question of the Crossfire Vs SLK. Mercedez sold that car for $65,000. For the same car with Chrysler emblems it was $30,000. So "Which one was better"? If exclusivity is important, then the Benz. If performance per dollar spent is, then you take the Chrysler.

For my mile shooting, I've shot a $5,000 rifle. and currently shoot a $189 barrel screwed on a Marlin XL7 with a $230 scope. My ability as you can see from some of my posts about it here, when things go well I can land the bulk of them within a 55-gal drum lid. Neither rifle gave me an advantage over the other, perhaps to someone else they could see the difference. Just depends primarily on your ability, and your goals. The equipment is the final and smaller piece in my mind.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by bsekf View Post
    Anybody tried on of these? Who makes the blanks? Who chambers them? Picture in ad almost looks like a barrel liner. Price is not bad if the quality is there. Year ago I bought a 22RF Contender barrel from EA Brown and it is a shooter.

Bill
    I like mine. Finish was outstanding IMO. Have not shot it that much but followed EABCO's recommended "break in" procedure just for the heck of it....winter ya know. So how would I rate it? Above average and as good or better than a few that cost a lot more.

Basic Member
    Shilen-criterion-xcal are my choices in barrels. Expensive but well worth it. I wouldn't buy an eabco honestly bc those are the quality barrels that come on my savages. Though I admit, barrels from Apache gun works are shooters! Maybe he needs to get his hands on some eabco blanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Is XCB X-Caliber or X Criterion Barrel?

XCB = Excalibur Barrel .
    CB = Criterions barrel.

Savage is the roughest of the line up, LW/Shilen/XC and Savage about 50% more cleaning effort needed than the XC.

I may or may not try to see if the Savage 308 Varmint can be brought to heal. So far no results as good as the Aftermarket.

Pencils have been even worse, may or may not try to get the 270 to shoot.

Banned
    Note: I have a Lyman boroscope I got on a heck of a deal. I can see what the finish is.

So its not just a guess.

For what its worth, Remington hammer forged is very smooth as well.

I have used a couple of these accuracy barrel kits and have been very pleased with them. I have done a .260 and a 7mm rem mag that shoot just as well as anything else out there.

Any one tried this on an axis I know they have special instructions, but didn't know if any one has had verrifyed they need smithing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ktmracer358 View Post
    Any one tried this on an axis I know they have special instructions, but didn't know if any one has had verrifyed they need smithing
    Yes. I did not encounter a problem but apparently some have.

Basic Member
    Believe it or not - axis actions are quality cheap actions. Would not hesitate to run one.

I was thinking about picking up a 6.5 creed accuracy barrel for my axis action in the future just wanting to know what I was getting into. Btw I have a 243 heavy barrel axis I picked up new a couple months back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Run with it. I preferred all LA bc stocks are easer to obtain. My large shank SA is another story - not too many to pick from.

243 and 6.5cm are fantastic choices - all in the 308 casing family! Can't go wrong with a243!

Banned
    I got to shoot my brothers new 6.5 Lapua, really nice. It make me look pretty good with a 1/2 inch 5 shot group and not my own very stable setup (his rear rest was a towel that tended to wobble, not his usual either but forgot his bag)

I would not hesitate on a 243, 6.5 creed and only slightly on a 6.5 Lapua (brass)