Thread: 6mm rem

tropicmaster

6mm rem

Will a 1:10 twist stabilize heavier bullets? From what I am reading the reason the 6mm rem never took off was due to being offered in a fast twist for varmint shooters, while the .243 would shoot the heavier bullets that deer hunters wanted. I dont know enough to know what " fast" or " slow" twist rates are for any caliber, but I bet someone here knows!

pd721el

Re: 6mm rem

No. If you want to shoot 100 or heavier i'd go 1/8 and if just 115 DTACS i'd go 1/7.5. I just check a box of 95 gr VLD Bergers and they recommend 1/9. My 1/8 shoots 107 SMK and 75 gr Vmax very well.

Cycler

You have the idea of fast and slow twist backwards. A 1:10" twist (one turn in 10") is "faster" than a 1:12" twist (one turn in 12"). A fast twist spins the bullet faster.

The original version of Remington riflres for the 6 mm Rem (called the .244 Rem at the time) had a 1:12" twist and it was too "slow" to stabilize bullets heavier than about 90 gr. Remington thought it was going to be just a varmint round and wouldn't need heavy bullets.

The .243 Winchester was seen as a dual purpose right from its introduction (varmint and deer size big game) and came with a 1:10" twist (i.e. a "faster" twist) that would stabilize 100 gr and even slightly heavier bullets. The .243Win was a tremendous success right from the start and the .244 Rem was a VERY slow seller.

Remington saw the error of its ways and changed their rifling twist to, IIRC, 1:9" and renamed the cartridge the 6 mm Rem to try to divorce it from the .244's poor reputation.

So, yes, a 1:10" twist will be fine for a 6 mm Rem unless you plan to use very heavy bullets or very long for weight target bullets like the "VLD" type. Then an even faster twist would be better.

Eric in NC

The 10 twist will stabilize "standard" hunting bullets up to 100 grains just fine (as well as the lighter varmint bullets).

It will not stabilize A-Max and VLD type 95-115 grain bullets (long distance target types).

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.