Thread: Which .221 Fireball dies ???

Pastprime

Which .221 Fireball dies ???

I'm going to rebarrel my Axix to .221 and I've been looking at the dies for it and there doesn't seem to be as large a selection as some calibers. Just wonder what you experienced Fireball shooters are using. I don't want to full length size my brass every loading; just neck size it. I've had good luck with the Lee collet neck sizing die in other calibers but I don't see one listed for the .221 Fireball. I've used L. E. Wilson dies with an arbor press in the past and wonder if that might be a good choice. I'd appreciate some suggestions that won't break my small budget......

Hank

Team Savage
    If you neck size only, sooner or later you WILL have to full length resize or at least use a body die to push everything back in place. I shoulder bump and neck size then as I start getting a stiff bolt lift on extraction, the brass gets a body size. I happen to use Forster Precision Bushing Bump Dies and a body die when/as needed.
    Wore out too many Lee dies doing mil spec 5.56 and 7.62 to go back to using them again as well as one of their cheap presses.
    Not a thing wrong with using a good brand name full length resizing die. RCBS is the first one that comes to mind. Sized LOTS of brass with RCBS dies.
    Watch Ebay for Fireball dies. Have seen a few for sale.

Check this out. http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...l-die.3925919/
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    I get the most concentric cases with the least neck runout with Froster full length benchrest dies with the high mounted floating expander. The neck of the case is held and centered in the neck of the die as the floating expander enters the case neck. Meaning the expander can not pull the case neck off center and induce neck runout.

221 Fireball Full Length Die & Bench Rest Seater Set
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...est-seater-set

The seating die chamber holds the case and bullet in alignment and can even correct slight runout variations.

Team Savage
    One thing you have to deal with when using dies with the expander button, as the button is pulled thru the neck, it makes the case longer on every stroke.
    Shoulder bump and neck size bushing dies don't do that. I have BR brass that has been sized 25 to 30 times and still doesn't need trimming. Pros and cons to everything you use. Just find out what works best for YOU.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.