Thread: Axis XP

Basic Member

Axis XP

Just picked up a Savage XP in 7-08. Has a Weaver 3x9x40 scope on it. Anyone have an opinion of this scope, good or bad. I know it's about a $100 scope although I just bought a $320 Leupold and it was not functional out of the box. May buy a Bushnell if the Leupold is no good.

Basic Member
    The stock scope leaves a lot to be desired. At 50 yards or so it's okay for casual plinking, but it's an inexpensive, budget type quality. I'm still using mine, but I will be upgrading in the near future.

Basic Member
    Just curious --what about the Leupold made it non-functional?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgah View Post
    Just curious --what about the Leupold made it non-functional?
    Mounted the Leupold for the first time, tried to bore sight rifle. Turrets would turn but cross hair would not move. Sent it to the factory, haven't heard from them.

Basic Member
    I have used Leupold scopes a very long time, so I am surprised you had trouble !!

Basic Member
    I hunt with Bushnells. I find the rainguard coating a blessing. They do not have the best optics in the world, however, since my shots are 200 yards and under I can get by. The only time I was frustrated with my scope was when the fog rolled in. I could make out the goat but couldn't find it in the scope. Early morning and evening were never a problem.

What are your requirements for an acceptable scope? What distances do you shoot? Are you a hunter or a precision shooter? I think a hunter like me can get by with a "mediocre" scope compared to a precision shooter.

I have also fallen a number of times and dinged up my scopes - another reason I don't want to spend a whole lot of money.

Just my 2 cents.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiku_Rodney View Post
    I hunt with Bushnells. I find the rainguard coating a blessing. They do not have the best optics in the world, however, since my shots are 200 yards and under I can get by. The only time I was frustrated with my scope was when the fog rolled in. I could make out the goat but couldn't find it in the scope. Early morning and evening were never a problem.

What are your requirements for an acceptable scope? What distances do you shoot? Are you a hunter or a precision shooter? I think a hunter like me can get by with a "mediocre" scope compared to a precision shooter.

I have also fallen a number of times and dinged up my scopes - another reason I don't want to spend a whole lot of money.

Just my 2 cents.

Just deer hunt, about 150-200 max yardage. I've always used leupold VX2 scopes. This is the first time I've ever had a problem with a VX2. I've got a VX2 on an old Browning BBR 7mag for about 25 years now and it's not had an easy life but I've never had to adjust it since I put it on the rifle. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong bore sighting, but tried several time to get the cross hairs to move but couldn't. I've bore sighted a lot of scopes, this is the first time this has happened. Scope is now at the factory but haven't heard from them yet.

Basic Member
    Hmmm... Recently had a friend give me a Bushnell collimator -- didn't want one, but it was a gift. I mounted a proven Nikon scope I had on hand on a new rifle and had the same experience -- by the collimator, the crosshairs weren't moving at all. I took everything to the range anyway, fired the first shot, and was 5" high and 4" to the right. Made the required adjustments and -- BINGO. Dead center. The crosshair WAS moving, but the boresighter wasn't showing it. Weird.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgah View Post
    Hmmm... Recently had a friend give me a Bushnell collimator -- didn't want one, but it was a gift. I mounted a proven Nikon scope I had on hand on a new rifle and had the same experience -- by the collimator, the crosshairs weren't moving at all. I took everything to the range anyway, fired the first shot, and was 5" high and 4" to the right. Made the required adjustments and -- BINGO. Dead center. The crosshair WAS moving, but the boresighter wasn't showing it. Weird.
    I was using a lazerlyte bore sighter and it works, can plainly see the cross hairs move on my Weaver, Tasco, Charles Daly scopes. I couldn't see the cross hairs move at all in the Leupold. I have other Leupolds and Leupold binocular and never had any problems with them.