Thread: Barrel help please...

Barrel help please...

Hello this is my first post. I want to build a custom rifle myself. I have read on several forums that Savage is easier than some other manufacturers, so without a lathe or milling machine I have decided this is the route that I will go. I will be building a 6.5 Creedmore that I will use for target/hunting.

Questions for now (there will be MANY more to follow):

1. Which aftermarket barrel would you recommend? I don't really want a bull barrel, maybe heavy Palma?

2. Which Savage action? Where is the cheapest source?

Thanks in advance,
    Lonster

Basic Member
    Any savage action will work-more funds better source.

CBI, Hart, bartlien, etc. All good barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    "Bull" barrel is a generic term for a heavy barrel. Some companies started making a barrel they call "Bull" but it came after the generic term. A heavy palma is a heavy barrel. Take a look at Bartlein's contours for ideas. If you want a lighter weight barrel which is still heavy enough to not give issues with higher rates of rife then look at the Med Palma or Rem Varmint contours. http://bartleinbarrels.com/contours/

Basic Member
    Savage actions come in large shank, and small shank. If you intend to take this out in the woods, you certainly don't want a large shank, and I can tell you that a small shank 26 in varmint barrel gets to be awfully heavy on a hike unless you're built like the Hulk! So a heavy varmint barrel cut to 20 or 22 inches might be your do all gun. A short, stiff barrel for accuracy and portability won't deliver the absolute highest velocities, but it'll do both jobs. Just a thought.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    If you intend to take this out in the woods, you certainly don't want a large shank,

Why exactly?
    INFERNO

Basic Member
    A longer 26" barrel in a med palma, versus the heavy palma/varmint, will give velocity and lighter weight.

Banned
    Ok Hoss, lets reign the team in and start with some basics.

And take it slow, if you are not deep into this stuff, its takes some time to sort out.

I have been shooting for 55 years or so, I had a lot of background to base my directions on.
    And frankly, while I got back into shooting seriously 8 years ago, its been about 2 years that I focused down on the area that I will keep at (small groups in targets).

First question is what are you going to do with the gun?

What kind of hunting do you do and what kind of target do you have in mind?

Savage has two triggers, one is a normal trigger, the other is called Acu Trigger (of which there are 3 pull variations).

For many the acu trigger is as much trigger as you want or need. Others that get deep into target shooting or the acu does not suit, get an aftermarkets trigger.

For a one off gun, there are a lot other than Savage that work and shoot very good.

By the time you are done with the tools to do a barrel, a custom barrel and the donor you are into some pretty good gun territory money wise.

Pay attention to the guns themselves as Savage has gone from a top bolt release that a lot of us prefer to a bottom bolt release.

Guns are coming with smooth nuts and those take a pipe wrench or cutting to get off.

There are a lot of good barrels out there. Ones I have and recommend are Shilen and Lothar Walther (the last is a bit limited in Savage pre fits)

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    Ok Hoss, lets reign the team in and start with some basics.

And take it slow, if you are not deep into this stuff, its takes some time to sort out.

I have been shooting for 55 years or so, I had a lot of background to base my directions on.
    And frankly, while I got back into shooting seriously 8 years ago, its been about 2 years that I focused down on the area that I will keep at (small groups in targets).

First question is what are you going to do with the gun?

What kind of hunting do you do and what kind of target do you have in mind?

Savage has two triggers, one is a normal trigger, the other is called Acu Trigger (of which there are 3 pull variations).

For many the acu trigger is as much trigger as you want or need. Others that get deep into target shooting or the acu does not suit, get an aftermarkets trigger.

For a one off gun, there are a lot other than Savage that work and shoot very good.

By the time you are done with the tools to do a barrel, a custom barrel and the donor you are into some pretty good gun territory money wise.

Pay attention to the guns themselves as Savage has gone from a top bolt release that a lot of us prefer to a bottom bolt release.

Guns are coming with smooth nuts and those take a pipe wrench or cutting to get off.

There are a lot of good barrels out there. Ones I have and recommend are Shilen and Lothar Walther (the last is a bit limited in Savage pre fits)
    I have been shooting since I was a kid, I'm now 48 years old.

i have always been a gun nut and have acquired quite a collection.

I have always read about "custom" rifles and always thought that I'd never have one (too expensive for me).

I'm now 48 years old and realize I need to start doing and not just dreaming. I'm an attorney with a successful practice, I can pay the bills and I can't take any of it with me when I die.

i have a new custom rifle 6.5-284 Norma built on a Remington 700 long action, Timney Calvin Elite trigger, Krieger heavy Palma 26" barrel, Graboe stock, Nightforce: scope, rings and base. I ordered this rifle two weeks ago and it will be in my hands Tuesday! This will be my primary hunting rifle.

I live in Alabama but may hunt out west some (previously it has been bow hunting exclusively out west).

I will be using my Savage for target shooting and some hunting for whitetails. Mostly it will be a truck gun.

I don't want a 14 lb. rifle.

I don't want a 6 lb. rifle.

I want an accurate gun. More accurate than a factory-built rifle.

Tools...I'm going to be purchasing tools. I'm an attorney and I'm tired of the law being my life. I am going to take a gunsmithing course and start building rifles as a hobby.

I just thought that possibly building a Savage would be a good way to get my feet wet and get a taste of what I'm getting into.

Thanks,
    Lonster

Banned
    Back in the day they were called Gun Cranks. grin

From that standpoint of learning about guns as an entry into Gun smiting its a sort of yes and a lot of no.

Savage is one of the only bolt action rifles in the world that uses the fine screw and nut system.

From that standpoint its a limited market though Remington also uses a fine thread and there is a thing called a Remage for Remingtons that adds more threads and a nut to it making it Savage like.

Other barrels have course threads and are torques or set into the right tension with a witness mark (and a whole different world if it has a front sight!)

Savage bolt is unusual as well as is the sear release of the firing pin. Trigger mechanism as a result is different.

On the other hand it is easily done, not too much in tools though the benefit comes as you do more than one.

In my case I wanted a bull 30-06 and no one makes anything like that. Even the barrel was special order as while there are a lot of stocked or soon to be re-stocked 308 and 6.5 of various types, a HB 06 is unheard of (so I have one of the few in the country!)

So yes you can make a pretty accurate rifle (Sub 1/2 MOA in my opinion) from a Savage, assuming you work on the shooting part of it.

Under 1 MOA there is a balance of the shooter, loads and the gun and the gun is the easiest part. Reloads to the under 1/2 MOA are a lot of detail work on small things.

You can pick up a Donner off Gun Broker or locally, all Savage receivers (other than the single shot targets) are the same. The variation is in smaller details. New ones how have a bottom bolt release (and plastic parts) vs the old top bolt release.

Nuts are now more and more smooth which can be taken off but should be replaced with a segmented nut.

If you are going to replace the trigger then it does not mater if its acu trigger or not.

Everyone has an opinion on barrel quality, my go to (I have two out of 3) are Shilen, Loather Wather (limited pre fit choices though you can go custom for about $550) and Criterion. None are cut rifled, they are buttoned rifled.. Cut rifle which are considered a class up are Bartlein and a number of others. Someone has to cut the trheads and chamber it though, none of them do Savage pre fit.

Ragged hole basrels comes to mind as they have a number of mfgs that supply them barrels and most are cut rifles (also know as Southern Precision Rifles) .

Frankly at my 1/2 MOA shooting I would not benefit from a cut rifled barrel. I think the buttons are good to 3/8 or 1/4.

The better the barrel the easier it is to clean as the better ones are lapped, Shilen is, LW is , Criterion which I do not have is unknown but report are they clean up well so probably. A rough barrel will shoot fine, its just harder to clean up.

Truck/target gun is probably best served with a Heavy Hunter barrel per Savage, I don't know what contour is closest to that.

As target guns are sensitive to their setting in the stock a truck gun and a target gun are contradictory to the two missions (though if case and taken care if not completely

24 inch would be enough barrel and save a bit of weight.

Rather than gun smith courses I would look into a technical college that has gun smith curriculum (or think about it longer term).

Huge variations out there and in the tech schools you learn from the ground up and get the basics solid and the plethora of variations of design.

That includes stocks as those can be a huge part of in accurate guns (and bedding right etc)

I appreciate the replies.
    when I say "target shooting" I'm not talking about what you guys do. My target shooting will be from a bench with friends, no competition stuff, just bragging rights among a few friends. I can shoot out to 300 yards here on my property.

I will shoot out to 900 yards at one friend's property occasionally.

But mostly this rifle will be shot between rounds with my 6.5/284 Norma and kept in the truck when I'm running my trap lines.

I have reconsidered a build... I found a Savage 10FCP-SR with a 24" barrel, picatinny base, 10 round mag, with accu-trigger for $559.00 and Savage has a $100.00 rebate going right now, so I would end up having a total of $487.00 in this rifle. Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Lonster

A 308 aint no creedmoor.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    A 308 aint no creedmoor.
    This is a grownup conversation Robinhood.

The rifle I described IS A CREEDMOOR.

Google "Savage 22338" and see what you get. The "22338" is the manufacturer part number.

http://grabagun.com/savage-100.html

Banned
    What Robinhood in his somewhat blunt way is saying is that Savage does not show that gun in a 6.5 Creed.

You are correct, its listed as a 6.5. No idea if new or there is a mistake, most LE guns are 308 but doesn't mean it can't or has not changed and Savage not caught up.

Pretty darn nice setup and the price is good. The acu trigger in that model can be set down to 2.5 lbs. Acu stock is decent.

It has the TBR most of us like.

Barrel can always be changed but the basics for a good base are there and it may well prove good enough to shoot out the barrel and then replace it.

Thanks RC. I was not aware that they were making the 10FCP-SR in 6.5 Creedmoor. They don't teach those things in my kindergarten class. I'm going to skeedadle now. The adults are taking me and the 6.5 CM over to the 1000 yard range this afternoon.( 600 got boring the other day). Maybe we will see you and some more big people out there soon. Hehe. Grownup conversation. Hehe! We got us a live wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Thanks RC. I was not aware that they were making the 10FCP-SR in 6.5 Creedmoor. They don't teach those things in my kindergarten class. I'm going to skeedadle now. The adults are taking me and the 6.5 CM over to the 1000 yard range this afternoon.( 600 got boring the other day). Maybe we will see you and some more big people out there soon. Hehe. Grownup conversation. Hehe! We got us a live wire.
    Just joshing with you Robinhood.

Lonster

I dish it out I have to be able to take it!