Thread: Leupold VX 3 vs Sightron SIII

Inrut24/7

Leupold VX 3 vs Sightron SIII

Im thinking about a sightron SIII 6x24 for my new 260, How would you compair the quality of the sightron to the vx 3 8.5x25, I have the leupold scope already on a 204 and frankly i think it could be a little brighter at upper power, No one around me carries sightrons, so i wont have a chance to look through one before ordering. thanks in advance
    Ben

Re: Leupold VX 3 vs Sightron SIII

I have used both and optically I would say they are pretty much even. To gain any significant advantage you would have to spend significant $$. I prefer Leupold myself and actually prefer the 6.5-20 over the 8-25.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member

I have 2 Sightron SIII 6-24x50 scopes.I really like the quality and clarity of these scopes. I do wish they offered more choices of reticles in these scopes,but I'll take the Sightron over the Leupold any day.
    Leupold makes a nice scope,but for what you get,they cost way to much.

Don - LongRangeSupply

another vote for the SIII

I have compared Leupold VX3s, Sightron SIII and Nightforce side by side on optical test targets and the SIII is sharper than the Leupold. Not as sharp as the Nightforce as some claim, but worth what you pay for them in any case.

McKinneyMike

I would buy the Sightron myself. It has excellent glass vs the Leupold, IMO with excellent internals and turrets. The Leupold will have better resale value, but i never buy anything to sell, so that is of little importance to me. Both are quality optics, but I simply believe that the Sightron SIII scopes are a cut above for what you pay for them vs the Leupold's.

Basic Member

I have had a pretty good number of VX-IIIs, and two (VX-III 6.5-20X40 LRs). These two are in the same price range as my Sightron SIII 8-32X56. For the price the Sightrong is much better. Not only the obvious differences, but I think the glass of the Sightron is better. I do think the Lupy paralax adjustment is better than the Sightron, but that is minimal.

juanjo322

I haven't had the luck of looking through a Sightron, however, I have looked through a 699.00 leupold and a 399.00 zeiss and the Zeiss takes my vote.. IMHO I think Leupolds are overrated but their warranty is second to none. Redfields have the same warranty now..

-Juanjo