Thread: 11VT or T10

11VT or T10

New member here needs friendly advice. Looking to iether buy a like new used 11VT 308, nikon 3-9 bdc, 2 mags, bipod $400 or new T10 308 $430 after rebate....what do ya think?

Basic Member
    You need to compare the 2. Look at features. I have the 10T in 308. Been a tac driver since the 3rd shot. Did an egg challenge over easter and nailed the egg @100 yards on 1st shot. I looked at the 11VT to see what the specs are. The 10T had both accustock and accutrigger. Not sure on the 11VT. 10T have 5R rifling. Can't determine on the 11VT. I like the bull barrel on the 10T as it doesn't heat up as fast as a fluted barrel. But its heavier. There is a 10T-SR that has a threaded barrel. Not sure if that matters to you. My 10T is in a Cadex chassis. Not sure your budget or what your looking for in a rifle. Hunting, target shooting, both? If hunting, you may want a fluted barrel rifle to keep weight down. Good luck on your decision. Welcome to the board.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    The 11vt isn't a bad deal. Since it's used I'd make sure it's a shooter and see what kind of groups it shoots and with what ammo. IMO the only real advantage to the 10T is the accustock and it's a nice addition over the 11vt. What rebate is going to get the 10T for $430?

Thanks for input guys. Leaning more towards T10 cause of added features. Cabelas has T10 for $530 and Savage is offering a $100 rebate

Basic Member
    I'd go with the 10T at that price.

Basic Member
    10 t at that price.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Vt 11 mine shoots gray box 150,s Winchester under an inch at 160 yards

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Take a careful look at the barrel on the 10T before you take it home. I bought one that had one of the roughest barrels I've ever seen on a non-military rifle.

Next time I buy a Savage I plan on taking by Borecam with me and may end up checking every rifle the dealer has in stock until I find one that doesn't have a bore that looks like it was drilled in somebody's shop by just welding an extension on a Jobber Length drill bit and finished with a rat-tailed file.

Actually the barrel wasn't quite that bad but let's just say that the rife no longer has the original barrel. It sits on my bench waiting for a donor action so I can put it together with the accustock I dumped as well. This way I can sell the rifle made of "leftovers" and recoup some of the cost of the replacement Benchmark barrel and MDT chassis.

Basic Member
    I have a 11VT and so does my father. We do a lot of bench shooting and my fathers will shoot the cheap factory Winchester 150gr at a .75" group at 100 yards. That's in completely factory form including the scope. It shoots the cheap Wally World 150gt Perfecta even better. We have tried Core-Loct, Federal Fusion, cheap federal, and Winchester. All of it had acceptable grouping. It does the best with a few choice reloads. I was not so lucky with my 11vt. It likes the cheap Perfecta FMJ 150gr and reloads. Since a heavy barrel 308 was on my bucket list I decided to swap on an Accustock, change the recoil lug, and add a one piece base. I'm hoping it takes a liking to factory loads once I get everything swapped. I probably would have sold my 11vt and bought a 10t if I knew about the rebate. I'm in too deep now so I'll roll the dice.

Dantheman, thanks for 11VT info. Havent decided yet, also looking at model 11 fcns.
    Something for you to think about, I shoot a model 11 243 that shot a 1.5 - 2" group at 100yds. Started reloading with a neck sizing die instead of full case die and even more importantly started moving bullet closer to rifle lands, brought to just over 1/2" moa

Basic Member
    Don't forget to look at the GRS savage sells. Sweet chassis. Would have purchased that instead of buying the 10T and buying a chassis and stock if it was available. But my 10T is an awesome shooting rifle. Made the mistake using a bore cam and looking. Looks terrible. But boy does it shoot. Choices to be made. Research, then buy your gut tells you to go with. Good luck.

Basic Member
    There are a couple used 10-FCP for sale in the classified section. With that you would get the accustock and the more desirable bottom metal. Might be worth checking out.

Thanks guys, sounds like good advice. Gonna research both the grs and fcp

Basic Member
    My brother picked up a FCP left hand version. He is just getting into bolt action rifles so had him pick up a few different boxes of ammo to test. Got him out to the range. Brought my chrono. Now my 10T loves the 178 ELD-X. His shot it ok. Also used it to zero at 100 yards. But the next box to test was the Fed gold match sierra match kings 175 gr. I couldn't believe it. 4 shots, 4 dead bullseyes. Wow. Told him he found his bullet. We still finished off testing the others. Both Hornady 168 A-Max and match did well, but not as good as FGMM 175. The FCP has a fluted barrel. Nice rifle.
    Forgot to mention, the 10T has a bottom bolt release. It sucks. My 338 FCP has the top bolt release as does the 10 FCP.

Bearcatrp, is your brothers fcp the 20" or 24" barrel? Good for him he found a shooter like that.

Basic Member
    24 inch barrel.

Basic Member
    I'll never buy another gun with a plastic bottom metal and plastic bottom bolt release. I wrote it off as not being all that important on a bolt gun when I first bought it and now I'm looking at $150 worth of parts from Savage for a metal replacement or $210 CDI bottom metal upgrade plus the cost of mags for it because I really don't get along well with that plastic crap. The action screws squeeze the plastic which I think would baffle any reputable riflesmith. The way the soft plastic tab on the magazine clips into place belongs on a toy, not on a centerfire rifle. Just my 2 cents - stay away from the plastic DBM / Bottom metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
    I'll never buy another gun with a plastic bottom metal and plastic bottom bolt release. I wrote it off as not being all that important on a bolt gun when I first bought it and now I'm looking at $150 worth of parts from Savage for a metal replacement or $210 CDI bottom metal upgrade plus the cost of mags for it because I really don't get along well with that plastic crap. The action screws squeeze the plastic which I think would baffle any reputable riflesmith. The way the soft plastic tab on the magazine clips into place belongs on a toy, not on a centerfire rifle. Just my 2 cents - stay away from the plastic DBM / Bottom metal.
    I would agree here. I am very disappointed in my .243 after changing stocks. I also now realize the cheapness of the plastic parts. Very disappointed. You get what you pay for. However, I have a 400 heavy barrel and action.

They sent me all the metal parts to replace my plastic for free

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    They sent me all the metal parts to replace my plastic for free

Savage did that ????? I can't believe it. Good for you, but that's incredible. How did you get them to do that?

I sent my gun back for repair told him about the plastic parts and they took care of everything for free bolt wouldn't go in they fix that

Basic Member
    ^^^That's awesome customer service.