Thread: HS Precision + CDI Bottom Metal vs MDTT Chassis

Basic Member

HS Precision + CDI Bottom Metal vs MDTT Chassis

Hello all,

I am planning on upgrading my plastic axis-style bottom metal on my 10T (aka 11VT). All that plastic junk just doesn't do it for me. I'm currently using an HS Precision stock (PSV118) with aluminum bedding block which is great and has really improved my groups. The CDI bottom metal is about $250 after I pay to have it shipped for the free inlet service. Recently, the MDTT LSS chassis caught my eye for $400. I would need to add about $80 for a CTR stock, buffer, nut, and comb riser putting to total cost at $480. If I went this route I would try and sell my HS Precision stock for $300. If successful, this would actually be the cheaper option with a total cost of roughly $180 and I wouldn't have to deal with the added hassle of having my FFL ship the firearm.

Right now I'm shooting an 18" 308 barrel on this rifle but I plan to upgrade it to a high end 24" Creedmoor plus suppressor. Is this too much barrel for the LSS chassis? I don't think the barrel should matter since the chassis is bolted to the receiver only... it doesn't know how long the barrel is. Its description states "For rifles with longer barrels to be used for long range (past 900 meters) we recommend our TAC21 or our HS3 Chassis systems" so that has me reconsidering. The larger options are a full $100 more so that puts the chassis a bit out of my price range, although I'd entertain the idea. I'd like to get into some classes and competition but for now this is just my fun gun for shooting steel. If you were in my shoes, which route would you go?

Thanks!
    -Chris

Basic Member
    I have the LSS-XL for my Savage 10 FCP-SR and love it. I changed the barrel to 28" and haven't had issues. I doubt you will, but the LSS is the smaller of the two chassis they offer. I was astounded at the difference in feel between the two. Then again, I went full out and got everything from MDT, including their stock. Hopefully someone with the LSS can chime in. As for the larger LSS-XL, I'd look at it if you're considering a 24" barrel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No need for a ffl for the cdi bottom metal. All they need is the stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Personally do not recommend the CDi for HS stocks due to short pillar length. You'll end up with a trigger guard you can't get your finger in if you have sausages like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
    Hello all,

Recently, the MDTT LSS chassis caught my eye for $400. I would need to add about $80 for a CTR stock, buffer, nut, and comb riser putting to total cost at $480.

Right now I'm shooting an 18" 308 barrel on this rifle but I plan to upgrade it to a high end 24" Creedmoor plus suppressor. Is this too much barrel for the LSS chassis? I don't think the barrel should matter since the chassis is bolted to the receiver only... it doesn't know how long the barrel is. Its description states "For rifles with longer barrels to be used for long range (past 900 meters) we recommend our TAC21 or our HS3 Chassis systems" so that has me reconsidering. The larger options are a full $100 more so that puts the chassis a bit out of my price range, although I'd entertain the idea. I'd like to get into some classes and competition but for now this is just my fun gun for shooting steel. If you were in my shoes, which route would you go?

Thanks!
    -Chris
    You don't need the buffer, just the tube and buttstock of your choice. The LSS has an allen lock nut as well, so as long as you aren't being crazy rough with it, will easily hold until you buy a nut. And you are correct, the stock is PLENTY relived for any barrel diameter. The reason they suggest a different stock for "long barrels", is due to the forearm length. The LSS is rather short, so when you mount the bi-pod the OAL of the bipod contact(ground) and you at the buttstock is shorter than some like. I doesn't bother me, but some want to be as long as possible for stability.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    You don't need the buffer, just the tube and buttstock of your choice. The LSS has an allen lock nut as well, so as long as you aren't being crazy rough with it, will easily hold until you buy a nut. And you are correct, the stock is PLENTY relived for any barrel diameter. The reason they suggest a different stock for "long barrels", is due to the forearm length. The LSS is rather short, so when you mount the bi-pod the OAL of the bipod contact(ground) and you at the buttstock is shorter than some like. I doesn't bother me, but some want to be as long as possible for stability.
    Yup - meant to write "buffer tube." Good catch. That makes sense about the bipod being pretty close to the shooter - that was my assumption as well about why they recommend a different chassis for longer barrels.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Evans View Post
    Personally do not recommend the CDi for HS stocks due to short pillar length. You'll end up with a trigger guard you can't get your finger in if you have sausages like me.
    I hadn't thought of that as being an issue - do I understand you correctly that much of the trigger will be up inside the stock? I'll have to do some more research on this. Do you happen to have a picture that shows how much of an issue this is? Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Basic Member
    No pics but if you use the CDi as-is, to the pillar height you need to get reliable feeding, the rear trigger guard screw has to be milled down so far the screw threads are gone. Its at least 1/4" farther up in the stock. My solution was to cut off the CDi trigger guard, mill the front trigger guard screw post down to fit, and use the original Savage guard from the LRPV HS stock. Fat fingers fit fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
    I hadn't thought of that as being an issue - do I understand you correctly that much of the trigger will be up inside the stock? I'll have to do some more research on this. Do you happen to have a picture that shows how much of an issue this is? Thanks for bringing this to my attention!