Basic Member

inch lbs to foot lbs

My torque wrench is in inch lbs up to 250"
    How many inch lbs is in 60 foot lbs ??
    Thanks for your time.

Basic Member
    Here ya go buddy: 60x12=720inch lb. I may be off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is 12 inches per foot, so converting either direction is a multiple or division of 12.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

I don't see how a torque wrench rated to 250 in/lb could possibly be accurate in the 20 in/lb range we use so often.

And then use the same torque wrench for ft/lb for barrel nut torque

Buy you a fat wrench and a ft/lb torque wrench

And we aren't even talking quality tools here

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    I don't see how a torque wrench rated to 250 in/lb could possibly be accurate in the 20 in/lb range we use so often.

And then use the same torque wrench for ft/lb for barrel nut torque

Buy you a fat wrench and a ft/lb torque wrench

And we aren't even talking quality tools here
    agreed I've seen this first hand. example my cousin used my 1/2" torque wrench to torque his mains on a Honda engine it's rated from 50-200 ft/lbs his tq was just over the min. this is a snap on tq wrench to boot. he couldn't even turn the crank and we checked it with plasti gauge and it was way too tight. handed him my 5-75 3/8" wrench (also snap-on and everything was happy, well except my cousin when I told him to go buy a new set of bearings and arp bolts as they would likely fail. lol

I went on the tool truck and they don't even offer a super low tq wrench for action bolts. oddly enough the shop has a screwdriver style one in a TPMS kit (tire sensors) I borrow it when I need to tighten scope rings or action screws.

Basic Member
    Ok..thanks

Banned
    agreed I've seen this first hand. example my cousin used my 1/2" torque wrench to torque his mains on a Honda engine it's rated from 50-200 ft/lbs his tq was just over the min. this is a snap on tq wrench to boot. he couldn't even turn the crank and we checked it with plasti gauge and it was way too tight. handed him my 5-75 3/8" wrench (also snap-on and everything was happy, well except my cousin when I told him to go buy a new set of bearings and arp bolts as they would likely fail. lol

I went on the tool truck and they don't even offer a super low tq wrench for action bolts. oddly enough the shop has a screwdriver style one in a TPMS kit (tire sensors) I borrow it when I need to tighten scope rings or action screws.
    Just a warning here.

A bearing cap is a fixed entity. It contacts the drives shaft journal surface flats.

The variance in a bit between those two fixed parts is the journal itself and the bearing size.

An oversize crank journal can cause fit (clearance ) issue.

The only thing to much toque will do (if overdone enough) is possibly take the bolt into the plastic range. It does not squeeze the bearing cap (or bearing) any more as there is a mating of two flat fixed distance surfaces.

The purpose of the plasti gauge is not to check torque, its to check bearing clearance of which a small amout is required.

So what you have is a larger than normal crank surface or a too large bearing.

The second torque would be under torqued allowing it to turn but if you are into that arena, it will come undone.

It sounds like he needs undersized bearings to get the proper clearance with the right toque.

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    Just a warning here.

A bearing cap is a fixed entity. It contacts the drives shaft journal surface flats.

The variance in a bit between those two fixed parts is the journal itself and the bearing size.

An oversize crank journal can cause fit (clearance ) issue.

The only thing to much toque will do (if overdone enough) is possibly take the bolt into the plastic range. It does not squeeze the bearing cap (or bearing) any more as there is a mating of two flat fixed distance surfaces.

The purpose of the plasti gauge is not to check torque, its to check bearing clearance of which a small amout is required.

So what you have is a larger than normal crank surface or a too small of a bearing.

The second torque would be under torqued allowing it to turn but if you are into that arena, it will come undone.

It sounds like he needs oversized bearings to get the proper clearance with the right toque.

There, fixed it. And I agree. Or a line bore on the journals.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Over torquing will not affect bearing clearances on an engine, what it will do is stretch the bolts and cause failure later. A lot of newer engines have bolts that are designed to be used only one time, so on rebuild new bolts are required.

I have three torque wrenches, a beam type 1-50 inch pounds, a clicker that's 30-250 inch pounds and a clicker 20-150 foot pounds. Always use the right tool for the job.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    There, fixed it. And I agree. Or a line bore on the journals.
    Apologies for thread hi-jack but it is important and costly thing that is going wrong there.

Robinhood, Thank you I will review again but it looks right on first pass (a bit hectic here with spring). Its been too danged long since I did those, concepts are solid but the details get a bit tangled up.

Hopefully the point is taken. Just because you get the result you want does not mean its the result you need.

I was fortunate, I got my torque wrenches back in the day you could get a real good ones for a decent price.

Mine are the dial set Snap On, I am not big on Snap on Satin finish or snoot, but those were good ones because they are good.

My Cat guy tells me that the electronics are best of all, followed by the Snap On Dial set and lastly the spring ones (I use the cat guys as there fuel injection system requires special tools and you need to know that traps)

I do have one spring one fro inch lbs but it also is a very good mfg, have to look, cross checks good with the low set Snap on where they cross at upper inch lbs and lower ft lbs.

Basic Member
    A simple question already answered and then taken up another notch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Want a good,compact and packable torque wrench then look at the Fix It Sticks with the torque limiters. Easy to use and you can get the basic kit or you can customize to the limiters you need. Besides the limiters it can be used as a standard tool kit as well with the attachments.

Short video on them
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN3DhHDb0D0