Thread: boyds prairie/cllassic for bench and varmints?

Basic Member

boyds prairie/cllassic for bench and varmints?

Im trying to decide on a boyds stock for my axis II heavy barrel. I mainly shoot off the bench and sitting or prone for woodchuck hunting. I don't like the pro varmint or thumbhole so its gotta be between these 2 for this setup. what do you guys think would be best for this rifle setup? I shoot the factory stock pretty well and im afraid the other 2 might throw me off.

Not sure what you don't prefer about the Pro Varmint as it's specifically designed for what you want to do, but to each their own... The Prairie hunter would be my vote (I have the PV & PH). The comb is a little higher on the PH then the classic, however I still put a cheek riser on it for my bench varmint rifle. The Heritage is another option very close to that of the PH. I like the PH quite a bit, and it's relatively comfortable to shoot from prone or bench. The Pro Varmint is WAY more comfortable though... IMO

I switch back and forth between the PV and the PH and I don't feel that "it throws me off"... The biggest difference I notice is: my bag height changes both front and rear, when I swap a gun over. Other than that, the only difference I notice is in the angle of my wrist is much more comfortable when shooting the PV.

Good luck,

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    Not sure what you don't prefer about the Pro Varmint as it's specifically designed for what you want to do, but to each their own... The Prairie hunter would be my vote (I have the PV & PH). The comb is a little higher on the PH then the classic, however I still put a cheek riser on it for my bench varmint rifle. The Heritage is another option very close to that of the PH. I like the PH quite a bit, and it's relatively comfortable to shoot from prone or bench. The Pro Varmint is WAY more comfortable though... IMO

I switch back and forth between the PV and the PH and I don't feel that "it throws me off"... The biggest difference I notice is: my bag height changes both front and rear, when I swap a gun over. Other than that, the only difference I notice is in the angle of my wrist is much more comfortable when shooting the PV.

Good luck,
    I don't like the plywood its made from and don't care for the large palm swell. I tried one on a rifle and didn't like it at all. Tried a boyds thumbhole too and it was a little odd with my thumb bone hitting the inside of the hole.

The PV is now available in laminate (just fyi) but I do understand what you mean about the large palm swell, not everyone's hands are large enough to make it a non-issue. You'll be plenty happy with the PH in that case. The palm swell in only on one side(the side you shoot from) and is not near as bulky.

Something to keep in mind: If you plan to rebarrel (being a varmint/bench gun) the PH barrel channel can only open up enough to accommodate a Heavy Sporter or a Light Varmint contoured barrel, unless you don't mind giving up the flats of the barrel channel.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    The PV is now available in laminate (just fyi) but I do understand what you mean about the large palm swell, not everyone's hands are large enough to make it a non-issue. You'll be plenty happy with the PH in that case. The palm swell in only on one side(the side you shoot from) and is not near as bulky.

Something to keep in mind: If you plan to rebarrel (being a varmint/bench gun) the PH barrel channel can only open up enough to accommodate a Heavy Sporter or a Light Varmint contoured barrel, unless you don't mind giving up the flats of the barrel channel.
    thanks for the info. do you find the PH to be too high on the bench, prone or sitting with a bipod? Im worried the stock wont fit me for these situations as it looks like it tucks down instead of strait.

I just ordered my first Bipod, so I don't know the answer to that yet. I use a Gorilla Bag for my front and have it setting on a wood platform which adds about 2 1/4 inches, so my front bag height is about 7'-8" and then I use a Caldwell Deadshot rear bag.

I do have to monkey around with it a little to get it setup correctly sometimes... The farther I move the rear bag towards the butt, the higher I have to make the front bag. However, It has not exceeded 10" for my front bag height when shooting from Prone at a target 250 yards away with a 10 degree incline.

Most of my shooting is done in the varmint fields though, which is usually shooting at down angles rather than inclines.

Basic Member
    Plus one on provarmint in the laminate.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ohihunter2014 View Post
    thanks for the info. do you find the PH to be too high on the bench, prone or sitting with a bipod? Im worried the stock wont fit me for these situations as it looks like it tucks down instead of strait.
    Lord All Mighty! You're still hee-hawing around on what stock to order? You've been at this for over a month now friend. LOL

To answer your question, no it doesn't sit too high in the rear for shooting off the bench or prone with a bipod. In fact, it's no higher than a factory stock.

Boyds PH on Harris BR 6-9" (collapsed & fully extended)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01378.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	3191

Name:	DSC01379.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	3192

Boyds Heritage on Harris BR 6-9" (collapsed & fully extended)

Name:	DSC01380.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	3193

Name:	DSC01381.JPG 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	3194

Factory Synthetic on Harris BR 6-9" (collapsed & fully extended)

Name:	DSC01382.JPG 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	3195

Name:	DSC01383.JPG 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	3196

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Lord All Mighty! You're still hee-hawing around on what stock to order? You've been at this for over a month now friend. LOL

To answer your question, no it doesn't sit too high in the rear for shooting off the bench or prone with a bipod. In fact, it's no higher than a factory stock.

I'm a hard man to please! I checked out the thumbholes and my thumb hits the top of the hole making it a little uncomfortable. I tried a pro varmint or at least what looked like one on a floor gun at cabelas and didn't like how the grip was. I then found a 22/17hmr with the pro varmint type stock and it felt good but no clue if they are boyds. I think I'm settled on the classic in nutmeg. I just have to bite the bullet and order it now.

Banned
    Something to keep in mind, you can experiment with your grip and finger positions (not just the trigger finger)

My CZ 22 is too light for bench rest, I don't hunt so that is what I do with it. I had thoughts of a thumbhole for it (local store has one and I like it)

But as my bench rest shooting has evolved, I have found that small adjustments can have significant affects, so while shooting I try different approaches.

In this case it occurred to me to put my thumb ON TOP of the CZ stock, not wrapped over.

I lost count of how many rounds I put in 1/4 inch at 50 yards. 10-15. One flyer that may have been me or the round. Normally I get about 1/2 inch groups with ammo it really likes at that range.

Idea is that you want a squeeze that does not cause any motion. Certainly a challenge.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post

prairie hunter in nutmeg is on the way. I ordered one from amazon cause i saved $60 with rewards points. thanks for your help. :) really hope it works well on the bench and field.