Thread: Having a feeding problem with my MarkII BRS .22 LR

Basic Member

Having a feeding problem with my MarkII BRS .22 LR

Approx. 3 years ago I purchased a very nice Mark II, with it, came a 5 round Magazine. I then purchase 16 more 10 rounds magazines for the rifle and then purchased a Savage B-mag .17 cal. and the Mark II became a safe queen unfired.
    Recently took it out to sight in and shoot some targets. Boy was I surprised, all new magazines, (Savage factory magazines for the Mark II) I bought failed to properly feed the round into the chamber. As soon as the first round would leave the magazine the following round would pop up and some what block the round from entering the chamber.
    Has anyone had this problem before, heard of this problem with the Savage Mark II, or know how to fix or solve this feeding problem? As of now this might become a wall hanger. Any help or advice would be welcome, Thank You Dennis

I had a Savage 17hmr that would do that, and the feed lips on the mag had to be bent slightly (tweaked) to get it functioning properly. After that the rifle worked fine and never needed adjustment again. I think Savage had a batch of bad mags floating around out there for some time. I ended up selling the 17 about a year later as 22 works better for my needs.

The 5 and 10 round mags that I have for my 93R17 would do that same thing. Not all the time, but enough to be annoying. A few careful tweaks of the feed lips solved the problem.

This is pretty common with stamped steel spare magazines such as these. The magazine that comes with a gun from the factory is tuned for proper feeding in that gun at the factory. Magazines not paired to a gun at the factory are packaged "as produced" and will typically require some minor tuning of the feed lips to get them to feed properly in your rifle.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

The 10 round mag that I purchased separately fouled more often and needed more tweaking for sure. The original 5 round mag would hang up every once in a while and needed a little tuning too.