Thread: New Savage B17 Rifles

Basic Member

New Savage B17 Rifles

Has anybody shot any of the new Savage B17 rifles? Looking at the B17 FV-SR in 17HMR as now Savage has the rotary mag and got rid of the old one that really had problems. They have the synthetic stock so not sure if they will be as accurate as the wood stocks. Let me know what you all think. Thanks

DaYooper14
    +1 OP. Looking at that same and curious about barrel length effects of the 17 fv-sr, if any.

Basic Member
    Did you miss the sub forum "B17 rim fire rifles?

DaYooper14
    Quote Originally Posted by WV1951 View Post
    Did you miss the sub forum "B17 rim fire rifles?
    That's where I found this thread, no? Only 6 or so topics in it so figured I'd ask. Let me know if not please.
    Thanks for the vid Mr. Hollywood. I've seen a few of the reviews and checked out the varmint AI & blueberry sites. Hoping to run into someone who owns the b17 fv-sr it and doesnt run a suppressor. The shorter barrel lengths are more conducive for my truck when running the trap lines. Farmers like the crows and groundhogs dead in addition to what I'm after on the line. The 6.5 creemoor is nice but a little overkill volume wise and p/rd cost. 17hmr should be just the ticket.

Basic Member
    Have you seen the "new" new B series rimfires, with wood stocks?

Quote Originally Posted by DaYooper14 View Post
    That's where I found this thread, no? Only 6 or so topics in it so figured I'd ask. Let me know if not please.
    Thanks for the vid Mr. Hollywood. I've seen a few of the reviews and checked out the varmint AI & blueberry sites. Hoping to run into someone who owns the b17 fv-sr it and doesnt run a suppressor. The shorter barrel lengths are more conducive for my truck when running the trap lines. Farmers like the crows and groundhogs dead in addition to what I'm after on the line. The 6.5 creemoor is nice but a little overkill volume wise and p/rd cost. 17hmr should be just the ticket.
    We reviewed the B22 FV here recently - same rifle in 22LR minus the threaded muzzle. Savage has always put out great shooting HMR's since the round first came out so no reason the B17's would be any different.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

DaYooper14
    ended up going with an A17 from Gander for $300, price was too right to pass up.

gpsman007
    i have one and its shoots outstanding (one hole groups at 100 yards.. you cant beat this accuracy in a gon thats less than 300 bucks.. you wont be dissapointed

When Savage puts out a left hand heavy barreled B17 I'll likely buy one. I really like my 93R17 GLV..............except for the magazine design (and certain characteristics that make them somewhat challenging to bed properly).

Hopefully Boyds will have Pro Varmint stocks inletted for the B17's soon too.