Thread: Savage Model 11 Scout Rifle Metal Finish??

Cruiser55n

Savage Model 11 Scout Rifle Metal Finish??

I'm considering buying the Savage Scout Rifle for my sailing vessel (full time on salt water) so, although the weapon will be stored in a dry area, I'm concerned about how corrosion resistant the exterior finish is. In all the listings I've see the finish is simply described as "matte black". I called Savage to ask exactly what chemical process was used to produce the finish and was told it is blued!?!? The only part of the weapon I've seen in pictures which looks blued is the metal portion of the 10 rd magazine. I can't believe the exterior finish is only blued (not suitable for marine environment), when it looks matte black. Is the finish in fact blued? Or is it in fact a substantially more corrosion resistant finish? I don't mind keeping a light coat of oil in the bore and on the bolt but I don't want the exterior metal covered in oil all the time.

On a similar note I've seen listings for a stainless steel version of the Savage Scout but all listing show out of stock and I don't see the stainless version listed on the Savage Web site. I'm guessing the stainless version has been discontinued. Am I wrong?

Your help is much appreciated! Although I've used firearms professionally and as a civilian for decades this would be my first Savage rifle and I thank you for sharing your expertise.

It's blued. The matte finish is just achieved by not polishing the parts and instead leaving them with the tumbled finish. Pretty much the same as if you sand blasted the parts and then blued them.

You really need to go with stainless steel in that environment, but even it will be subject to rusting over time if not cared for. I would imagine you could order a SS Scout through Savage's custom shop if you're dead set on that specific model.