Thread: new savage 25 classic 223

demo_slug

new savage 25 classic 223

I bought a brand new savage 25 classic in 223. I bought it about 6 months ago... put an 18X scope on it and took it to the range and put about 40 rounds worth of PMC bronze 55grn trying to sight in the scope from sand bags. I was grouping at about 6 inches at 50 yards. I was completely disappointed with the experience and shelved it :-\. I've been meaning to shoot it again to prove or disprove if it was just a bad day or a bad rifle... but it feels like a chore. I live in the city and shoot pistol twice a month. but I have to drive out of town to get to a rifle range to shoot rifle cartridges. I keep putting it off..

anyway... this rifle hums like a tunning fork after I fire it. is that normal? my 10-22 doesn't do it and my marlin 1894 doesn't do it, but they rattle :P. anyway, this is my first bolt action rifle.

miker

Re: new savage 25 classic 223

Make sure action screws are tight all 23 savage rifles i have started life with loose screws if it was a package rifle take the scope off and tighten the scope mouts will most likley be loose as well

anyway... this rifle hums like a tunning fork after I fire it. is that normal?
    How can you hear it "hum" through your hearing protection? Is it high C? F sharp?

oldguy

What brand of scope.? I have a Savage 25-- 223 shoots consistant .600 or less @ 100 yards with my reloads.

demo_slug

I can feel it thru my left hand. if I flick the stock near the barrel it will resonate for a second. you can feel it. its got good sustain.

I guess this is abnormal? my girl friend fired it and noticed the vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Pope
    anyway... this rifle hums like a tunning fork after I fire it. is that normal?
    How can you hear it "hum" through your hearing protection? Is it high C? F sharp?

demo_slug

the scope is a Bushnell banner. I mounted it. it vibrates with the scope removed.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=128054

oldguy

Try another scope if you can borrow or have one available I've had some problems with banner scopes, most of the model 25's are very accurate. Check your mount screws they will work loose at times. If all fail ship her back to Savage.

Basic Member

This has worked for me with rimfires. I have even tried it with some success with centerfires.

Add a pressure pad between the stock and the barrel. I normally place a foam ear plug about 1" from the end of the stock. If the gap is realy tight you might try cutting the foam earplug in half. Pressure pads can sometimes reduce the harmonics of barrels, making them seem to settle down a bit.

Shoot a few groups then move the pad back an inch. Continue this until you have a group that shrinks dramatically.

As part of my accuracy testing of any new rimfires I use a pressure pad. I use them to fine tune the gun once I work out what ammo it likes.

Dolomite

demo_slug

went and shot it today. shot fine today. it still resonates after shooting, it will rattle my ear muffs when I go to re aim after a shot..

but grouping was great. I think it was an issue with the scope.

demo_slug

I was looking thru my brass and the primers are all cratered :-[

I double checked with my spear manual and it says this is a defect in the firing pin assembly.

demo_slug

i got a picture of the primers...

is it safe to shoot?

[img width=337 height=450]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_wVYW09JAmHU/TKGIpO3pVBI/AAAAAAAAAGA/GXqklcV86NI/s512/m25%20primer%20crater.JPG[/img]

Ray Gunter

I have never seen primers like that.

Take your rifle and those spent shells to a gunsmith along with some of the same rounds that have not been fired yet. Find out whats going on.

Basic Member

Just from the pic's, it looks like it needs the firing pin hole in the bolt head bushed.
    There shouldn't be that much back flow around the firing pin.
    I would definitely have a smith check it out.

demo_slug

yeah, I talked to the shop I bought it from. they'll send it to savage for warranty work. I talked to savage and they wanted the rifle back, but didn't want to pay shipping....

demo_slug

so the rifle was shipped 2 complete weeks ago, they haven't called. how long does warranty take and when should I start bugging people?

demo_slug

I talked to savage and they quickly looked up my rifle by serial number. and told me that they replaced the bolt assembly and "proof tested it" and its good to go. I plan on being very happy. ;D and I think my vibration issue was some defective scope rings. can't wait to shoot again.

having the service data quickly available really says a lot about a company. to me.

demo_slug

rifle is back. the bolt throw is a lot easier. originally it was a real knuckle buster.

it still vibrates. what a pisser. so... the scope has a big spring in it. its what holds the front lenz in. the spring and the rifle have a sympathetic resonate frequency. pull the trigger and buzzzzzzz. :P maybe the spring isn't fit right. with the scope off the gun. I can tap the scope and it vibrates for a bit. guess Its time to roll this over on Bushnell.

borg

Guns shouldn't hum after you shoot them. That's all I know.

Wtex

If they fixed the bolt and it still vibrates, then that wasn't the problem. I would try another scope and see if it still does it.

Basic Member

Is the primer issue corrected ??

demo_slug

Quote Originally Posted by shovelheadave
    Is the primer issue corrected ??
    yes. the primer issue is fixed. and I'm much happier with how the new bolt functions. it used to be very very hard to lift. so hard, that when it finally cocked, my hand could slip off the handle and bust knuckles on the scope.

it shot OK. @100 yard I put about 120 rounds thru it. mostly 55 grain, but also some 50 Grain HPFBs. the biggest group was 4 inches, the smallest was under 2".

my best group of the day was with 55 grain PMC bronze. I shoved some cardboard between the stock and the barrel. it reduced some of the vibration... but its still their.

in regards to the scope, Bushnell put me on hold for 20min yesterday before I gave up, live and learn. soo I ordered a new scope, a Vortex Viper 20X.

but once I get the vibration issue sorted out, this thing should do very well. I'm 100% sure that getting the stock bedded and swapping the scope will get this rifle up to snuff.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by borg
    Guns shouldn't hum after you shoot them. That's all I know.
    That's only because you haven't taught them the words yet :P
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

demo_slug

OK.. got my Vortex Viper scope on the rifle and now the hum is gone and the rifle is now shooting sub MOA. ;D shoots like a dream. happy model 25 owner.

the hum was the POS banner scope and midway gave me my money back.

it liked 69g match king with 23 grains of AA2015 (CCI primers).

Wtex

I'm glad to hear it worked out. You had to go through a lot of work to get it where it needed to be. I know you're thankful to be rid of the hum and have it shooting under an inch. While you're trying different loads, try some Sierra 52gr hpbt with the AA2015, that's my best combination.

Joe O

Your pic of the primers was too dark to see well.Have you called Savage customer service and emailed that pic to them(has happened frequently)they more than likely ,would have sent a UPS pick up order for the Gun,without going through a retail dealer.That's what happened in my case,last year.The squeaky wheel gets the grease.Their QC final shot before it goes out the door is where the problem lays.Apparently not looking at the primers after ,and not checking ejection,as well as making sure the barrel alignment is true to the action,would eliminate 90% of the return problems.