Thread: Savage 110 feeding issue

Basic Member

Savage 110 feeding issue

Hello. I have been working on a Savage 110 long action for a few years now and I have my dream barrel installed. It's a long action, originally chambered in 270, then 30-06 but I recently put a 308 barrel on it. When it was a 30-06, it had feeding issues where if I slammed the bolt home, the base of the round would jump too high and the round would jam. If I just eased up on pressure, the base of the round would fall back into alignment and easily feed. If I feed at a moderate speed or slowly, it feeds fine.

I just installed my 308 barrel and it behaves the same way, even with the shorter cases.

Any suggestions? Too stiff of a magazine spring? I'm using a magnum blind magazine right now. I can't find a 30-06 magazine to save my life.

Tony.

How fast do you need to cycle a round? Would a AR 10 or similar be faster?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    As fast as you'd need to cycle the action when hunting to get a follow up shot, or if you were running a tactical long range rifle course at the range. I'm not trying to cycle it as fast as a semi-auto; not even close. Maybe 3/4ths of a second. It jams when I try to cycle at that speed.

I wouldn't worry about it if this were simply a bench rifle, but I built it to be a field rifle.

Tony.

Try bending the feed lips in, I recently measured a mag vs standard width and although I can't recall what the numbers were, there was a difference. I would think it's "letting go" earlier than it should causing your issue(s)

Basic Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I figured it out, I think.

I reinstalled the original 30-06 blind magazine and follower and that seemed to help a little bit, but not 100%. After reevaluating the jam, I noticed that the case head was binding on the bolt face and not the inside top of the receiver. I had upgraded to a NSS extractor and ejector a while back and it has a square ejector. I reinstalled the original that had the rounded ejector tip and that solved the problem. I topped off the magazine four times and cycled the action as fast and as hard as I could and I could not get my dummy rounds to jam.

Ejection is nice and strong too.

Tony.

Good deal. Great feedback on the NSS kit as well.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I should be clear, I think it was the SSS kit. I used the upgraded extractor too and extraction is fantastic! Before I upgraded the extractor, my empty cases were just falling out of the action. Now they fly clear.

It could be that perhaps a short action round in a long action poses some issues that may not be there on a short action with the SSS ejector.

Tony.