Thread: advice--ordering from boyds?

Basic Member

advice--ordering from boyds?

Any advice to make sure this goes as smooth as possible? I have an axis II 223 heavy barrel i would like to get a stock for. I shoot the factory stock pretty well so thinking classic would be my way to go. nutmeg with stippling is what I'm thinking for a finish. I emailed them last week and they said about 3 week turn around time for the stock but everything i find online says months instead of weeks. I planned on doing the ordering online cause im not to keen on giving an unknow person a credit card number but some things i see online say order through a person so things are right.

what would you do?

I ordered mine "online" as it's much quicker to get your order in. (Not having to wait to get ahold of someone....) Make sure to measure your action screw spacing, and whether you have top or bottom bolt release... 3 weeks may be possible if it's already "made".

When I ordered my last Pro Varmint it took several months before I had it in hand... I'm left handed though, so that may have been an additional factor.

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    I ordered mine "online" as it's much quicker to get your order in. (Not having to wait to get ahold of someone....) Make sure to measure your action screw spacing, and whether you have top or bottom bolt release... 3 weeks may be possible if it's already "made".

When I ordered my last Pro Varmint it took several months before I had it in hand... I'm left handed though, so that may have been an additional factor.

We're in the AXIS forum - there's only one screw spacing option and only one bolt release option.

Basic Member
    I have a left handed, thumb hole stock in royal jacaranda with the deluxe finish. It took me less than three weeks to get it from Boyd's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    They've been filling my orders much faster these days.

Basic Member
    so do you guys order online or on the phone?

do you guys like checkering or stippling on the stocks or is it just cosmetic and doesn't offer grip?

Basic Member
    stippling might be better grip, but very untraditional looking. i don't care for it, myself. depends on what you are wanting, I guess. As for function, they are both good. Not merely cosmetic at all. I don't bother on thumbholes, though. Doesn't seem to need it. Pro Varmint doesn't necessarily need it either, in my opinion.

BTW, if you want checkerring or stipplling, be sure to NOT go "Classic" or "Prairie Hunter" go Heritage or Platinum. THey have true wrap around grip on the forearms. Classic and Prairie Hunter has it on sides only, not much value to it.

Basic Member

advice--ordering from boyds?

My Axis is chambered in .223. With the thumb hole, I have no grip problems. Stippling or checkering would take away from the look I was striving for without any providing any real performance benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    stippling might be better grip, but very untraditional looking. i don't care for it, myself. depends on what you are wanting, I guess.
    Proper stippling is very good for off-hand shooting where you want maximum grip without having to have a death grip on the stock (silhouette, accross the course, etc). This is also why so many guys have it done to their polymer framed pistols.