Thread: Savage SA with bastard bolt spacing

Savage SA with bastard bolt spacing

I have a lefty savage SA model 10( per the serial number through savage, though the barrel says model 110) in .223. Im trying to get a new stock ordered, but my bolt spacing is 5.25. I was thinking it was built on a long action, but the spacing doesn't seem right. I called savage and was told that the spacing is "the older spacing, which is 4.25". But try as I might I can't get my face measure to lose an inch, and I can't seem to find a lefty stock that has this spacing. Any ideas?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    I have looked at that page, my action measures like a long action except the bolt spacing, it is at 5.25 inches

Basic Member
    Because it's a "lefty" is it possible it was built on an older action (1988-1997) when all short actions were built on long action's with just a shorter mag cutout?

That might be a possibility if you aren't measuring the bolt spacing correctly, like outside of bolt to outside of bolt rather than outside of one to inside of other which gives a pretty precise CTC measurement.

Just trying to cover all possibilities. I've seen weird stuff like this in the Automotive Industry. Like rear axle bearings being different on the Left side of an axle than on the right, only because the manufacturer didn't change the parts supply on both sides at the same time in the factory.

Are you measuring from center to center of the action screws? Yours is a long action and the dimension is 5.062. Take a picture with your calipers on the screw holes.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

You aren't measuring from the front action screw to the rear trigger guard screw are you? The rear trigger guard screw is just a wood screw, not an action screw.