Thread: Scope Mounting

Scope Mounting

I'm looking for a recommendation for a scope mounting kit from a reliable source. I want something that has a level in it, a way to lap the rings and align the scope in the rings, etc.

Thanks.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAMPFOX View Post
    I'm looking for a recommendation for a scope mounting kit from a reliable source. I want something that has a level in it, a way to lap the rings and align the scope in the rings, etc.

Thanks.
    Here's the one:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/wheeler-...ting-kits.html

You can align rings on two piece bases, lap 1" or 30mm rings, includes levels, torque wrench and bits. Optic's planet is, right now the lowest price I saw and free shipping.

The Wheeler will be the cheapest, and may be the only complete kit out there. Some of the wheeler stuff is ok, while other stuff from them is so-so. The other option would be to buy individual tools separately which would be more expensive, but you would have higher quality tools.

This is what my scope installation kit consist of. No 1" long levels involved.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...nt=749-011-661

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod75317.aspx

After installation hang a plumb bob out there about.25 yrds and check your crosshairs

Of course you need a rifle level to be sure you are not canting it

I have replaced every wheeler tool i have ever bought

Basic Member
    skip buying all the tools and buy quality scope rings. With what is available on the market these days lapping rings is a thing of the past. I prefer American Rifle Company's M10 Rings. They are more expensive than most shooters are willing to pay, but once you use them you'll understand why. The Vortex/Seekins rings will also get the job done well. The better quality of parts used the better the end result will be.

Basic Member
    I always use the DNZ scope rings.

http://www.dnzproducts.com/why-dnz/

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    skip buying all the tools and buy quality scope rings. With what is available on the market these days lapping rings is a thing of the past. I prefer American Rifle Company's M10 Rings. They are more expensive than most shooters are willing to pay, but once you use them you'll understand why. The Vortex/Seekins rings will also get the job done well. The better quality of parts used the better the end result will be.
    And how many times have you checked ring.alignment after installation? Lots.of.things can effect alignment.

Have you ever lapped a.set of rings? You would be suprised how little contact there is between the rings and scope.tube on many premium rings.

I bet the American Rifle Company rings are.awesome like.the.rest.of.their products.

Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    And how many times have you checked ring.alignment after installation? Lots.of.things can effect alignment.

Have you ever lapped a.set of rings? You would be suprised how little contact there is between the rings and scope.tube on many premium rings.

I bet the American Rifle Company rings are.awesome like.the.rest.of.their products.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    skip buying all the tools and buy quality scope rings. With what is available on the market these days lapping rings is a thing of the past.
    One would think or expect that to be true, but if you actually check many of today's high dollar CNC machined rings they're far from perfect. Fact is they're still mass production pieces prone to tolerances just the same as any other mass produced product. Leupold even notes in the factory tour video they put out last year that they don't even keep the upper and lower halves matched together after they cut and separate them - they just toss them into separate large tubs of tops and bottoms - even on their high end Mark 4 rings and Mark 2/4/6/8 Integrated Systems.

Probably the worst set I've had in recent years was a set of CZ rimfire rings for my 452 that run about $80. They're CNC machined steel and both rings required extensive lapping out of the box as you can see here. The darker areas are all that remains of the original factory surface after lapping. Note the lower half to the right shows no original surface remaining.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CZ_Rings_Lapped.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	3249

I have TPS Tactical and Seekings/Vortex ring sets that were both CNC machined that also required quite a bit of lapping as well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    One would think or expect that to be true, but if you actually check many of today's high dollar CNC machined rings they're far from perfect. Fact is they're still mass production pieces prone to tolerances just the same as any other mass produced product. Leupold even notes in the factory tour video they put out last year that they don't even keep the upper and lower halves matched together after they cut and separate them - they just toss them into separate large tubs of tops and bottoms - even on their high end Mark 4 rings and Mark 2/4/6/8 Integrated Systems.

Probably the worst set I've had in recent years was a set of CZ rimfire rings for my 452 that run about $80. They're CNC machined steel and both rings required extensive lapping out of the box as you can see here. The darker areas are all that remains of the original factory surface after lapping. Note the lower half to the right shows no original surface remaining.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CZ_Rings_Lapped.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	3249

I have TPS Tactical and Seekings/Vortex ring sets that were both CNC machined that also required quite a bit of lapping as well.
    I'll agree with you on those rings, but I definitely don't consider Leupold high quality. There's much better gear out there. Problem is most don't want to pay the price. That is the norm on this side of the fence. I wish I had an extra set of M10 rings I could send you to check out! It's how they're designed.

The M10 rings specifically close in a manner where they wrap around the circumference and apply constant even pressure as you snug them up to 55inlbs torque spec. You can tell they align perfectly as the reticle does not move as you torque them. It's a phenomenal experience the first time you mount a scope with them.

Standard rings are like a fat girl sitting on a sandwich. Stuff oozes out one side, then the other and you just hope there's something left in the middle when your done.

SPUHR although I didn't find their mounts to my liking machine their mounts out of one block of billet all at once. However, they still haven't over come what the M10 rings have.

Keeping the scope in the rings I can remove and reinstall the scope and still maintain zero like a one piece base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To bad this won't fit in a signature.
    Standard rings are like a fat girl sitting on a sandwich. Stuff oozes out one side, then the other and you just hope there's something left in the middle when your done.
    - Lone Wolf -
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I'm sure the M10 rings are nice, but $180/set is to rich for my blood. I'd rather spend that money on 500 bullets or a keg of powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    To bad this won't fit in a signature.
    Buy a Silver Team Savage Membership and it will.

If you would let me test some of those scopes on your workbench......
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.