Thread: Axis XP Range Report 5/12/17

Basic Member

Axis XP Range Report 5/12/17

Finally got the opportunity for some range time today, after installing a one piece scope rail and moving the scope to the rear for better eye relief, the focus needed to be adjusted and sighted in again.
    After getting it all dialed in I attempted some grouping at 50 yards and then 100 yards with some inexpensive American Eagle 50 grain JHP Varmint & Predator ammo, managed some decent 5 shot groups at 50 yards, I then had to put ten rounds into the first target at 100 yards to find my bearings and get used to my first attempt at that distance, shot a 5 round group on the second target which is not great but I'm happy with it, still kind of surprised at how accurate this amazing 'cheap' rifle is. I'm still using the scope that came with the rifle, so maybe an upgraded scope will tighten up my groups a bit.

I know they're "cheap" but I like minen so far anyway. Well enough that I bought 2 more a couple months ago. I think you can't go wrong for the money.
    Nice shooting....now just keep practicing that'll tighten groups. Obviously to a point...but practice makes a huge difference.
    Scooter

Basic Member
    Thanks Scooter! I agree, the value for money is amazing, the quality and accuracy is also surprising. They did cut corners on the stock and trigger ect. but it's a solid little rifle with lots of potential. This is the first center fire rifle I've owned since my days in the military (1970's-80's), always had a few .22 rifles and pellet guns to plink with on a regular basis so my skills are not too rusty, but this is a lot more fun. I will be spending more time at the range from now on, for sure.

I've not restocked mine yet but I will. For now, I rockite the forearms to stiffen it some. I know there's trigger fixes that work but I put in the Rifle Basix in mine. When you catch em on sale and with a rebate you still don't have that much in the rifle.
    If it's your 1st in a while you'll be hooked now lol.
    I'm hoping to get my 223 to the range this weekend.
    Scooter
    Last edited by scooterf79; 05-24-2017 at 12:11 AM.
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    I also modified my stock to stiffen it up, works for me. I'm not in a hurry to restock just yet, but a new scope is on my list of urgently needed upgrades. I did the regular trigger fix, with a weaker spring and a machine screw, it's around 3 1/2 pounds with no creep, also works well for my needs.

Sounds like you're well on your way!
    I shot my new 223 today....had a little change of plans...scope wise. I had an egw rail for an axis down back but my new scope was hitting the rail when I went to mount it. Popped on another scope just to be able to shoot it today. Another set of rings and bases are on the way.
    Anyway...I'll post a pic later but I got on paper then went to 75yds(farthest I can go without driving all the way to the range).
    Put 3rds of Hornady 55gr Vmax in a little under an inch with it. So..its got potential for sure! First 223 bolt I've had.....
    Hope to get it ready for a prairie dog hunt in July
    Scooter.
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.