Thread: You Can't Make This Up

You Can't Make This Up

I was unpacking boxes from my recent move and came upon my flag, it was pretty worn so I figured I would retire her and get a new one. So I went on my way to the post office to properly dispose of her, and the lady said that this PO was a privately owned PO and she could not take it, but she kindly gave me directions to which one could. So I get to the other PO "it was pretty big" so I was standing in line and was finally called upon, so I hand her the flag and she says why are you giving me this for what do you want me to do with it.
    I ask her if she could properly dispose of it, again why are you giving it to me she said, then turned to 3 or 4 of her coworkers and they had no clue either so I ask for some one higher up and they came out same thing no clue. I said go get me the postmaster which they did and I kid you not she or any of the other 10 to 12 workers that were there knew anything, then after I said shame on them they started getting rude so I left. as I was walking past a line of people that had grew pretty long most of them were shaking there heads in disbelief one guys eyes were watered up and uttered the words My God. The last person in line happen to be a funeral and crematorium
    owner and said that I could give it to him and he would take care of it. I was so worked up that I just sat in my truck so I could calm down, to tell you the truth I kinda was expecting the cops to show up they never did.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Welcome to Florida.

Next time find a local VFW. They (typically) have regular disposal services.

Welcome to city life in Florida. Now perhaps you have a better idea why I moved up here to farm country.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Traditions and respect for the flag are dying out as each new generation has to sacrifice less and less under it.

Even my local gun club just leaves it up 24/7 without lighting and only replaces it when it practically falls off the pole.

I mention it about three times a month and all I get from the Board Members is "we'll look into it".

The Boy Scouts of America would likely welcome old flags for proper disposal by ceremonial burning.

This gives the scouts an opportunity to learn more about our national traditions.

Basic Member
    I think this is a matter just dying for media attention. Might just accidentally edumacate some folks that are in desperate need of it.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Scope eye I just do it out in the back yard. I use an old 5 gal. metal container that I keep just for this purpose. The last two times the F.D. showed up, seeing as how I am retired Lt. from the F. D. the first time they just stood and watched ( I knew all of them). The last time all new guys, (young & dumb) none of them had any idea of the proper way of disposing of a flag, they wanted to put it out, I made the officer call his chief and have him respond, they all know the proper way to handle a flag now, including the chief.
    The younger generation hasn't a clue. Maybe the VFW's should publish a article on the proper ways to handle a flag in the paper every Memorial Day as a reminder or a history lesson to inform the uncaring, uneducated masses.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    Well it is a pretty big town, and not unlike big towns anywhere else.
    Rural areas would be different for the most part about anywhere you go on those type issues.
    At some point take a ride east across the state on rt 60, and you wont go far till your in cattle ranch country.

Can't say I'd ever heard of the Post Office taking in flags for disposal, and I'm in my early 40's. Around here it's always been the VFW, American Legion, or the Boy Scouts.

I don't think the Flag was an issue. I think they were baffled by your Blue Feet!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

There is an "old" mail drop box on the courthouse square in my town. I don't think the P O collects them very often tho as one time I passed by it I saw a portion of a flag outside of the box as it was apparently stuffed full.