Thread: weather warrior

weather warrior

thinking about buying a weather warrior rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. anybody have any opinions on the weather warrior, or recommend something else. it will be used mainly for hunting whitetail deer, occasional coyote or hog. I also like to target shoot out to 500 yds on occasion. im also a reloader. any input will be appreciated.

Hard to beat the Weather Warrior for an all-around hunting rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by robdon View Post
    thinking about buying a weather warrior rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. anybody have any opinions on the weather warrior, or recommend something else. it will be used mainly for hunting whitetail deer, occasional coyote or hog. I also like to target shoot out to 500 yds on occasion. im also a reloader. any input will be appreciated.
    I have one of the original weather warriors in .270 WSM and for the price it's an excellent shooter, and for those that like it, includes the accutrigger. Very light yet holds a fairly tight pattern. I am just about ready to buy dies for reloading for it and I think my groups will tighten up considerably. Probably can't go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Hard to beat the Weather Warrior for an all-around hunting rifle.
    Agreed.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    I don't think you can go wrong with the WW for hunting.

Target shooting? I don't think that's even a heavy hunting barrel.

I think I would be tempted to do a project rifle for that combo and put a stainless barrel on a blued receiver.

Either a heavy hunter or varmint barrel and length of 20-22 inches and or flute to get the weights down if that is important.

Light Weight Hunter is better price, you give up the acu stock.

I could be wrong but it seems to be there would be a market for a heavy hunter barrel for those that also like to target shoot and still don't want to get up into varmint profile. Could be wrong.

I have a couple and love them.
    Best group with my 116FLCSAK in 30-06 that I bought in the mid 90s was 10 shots into .446, That rifle amazes everyone who sees what it can do.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Banned
    Thinner barrel or is it the heavy hunter profile?

Still stunningly good.

It's a little thicker Than a standard sporter barrel and I'm not sure what they call the profile maybe a medium heavy. It doesn't seem to be quite as thick as my 300RUM which I'm pretty sure is a magnum contour, and it's not as thick as my model 12 varmint rifles or model 10 law enforcement rifles.
    It's the same diameter on the muzzle end as the adjustable brake, and doesn't have the taper of the lighter hunting barrels with the brake.

Here's a pic of my old flat back 116FLCSAK RC20 so you can see the contour Pretty much what was once the Savage "flagship" maxed out hunting rifle. If I remember right it was $425 out the door in 1995. Too bad they discontinued this model cause I'd love to have another with the latest technology but I have been unwilling to pay the special order premium to get it. I would love to see a maxed out "116 All Weather Deer Hunter" which I'm sure would have a bigger market than the "116 Bear" Hunter" lineup. In standard calibers instead of magnum

Not tapered like this one

With this being said I have several plain Jane model 11s and older 110s that shoot very well indeed and will absolutely stack bullet holes in bullet holes. Just my experiences but hand loading seems to be the key with any rifle, and not settling on 1" or 3/4" load performance but continuing to search until I find the components that make a bug hole load. That's one of the reasons I consolidated calibers, not cartridges, a while back so that I could share components. Lots of good cartridges using .223 .308 .257 components. I've seen guys spend tons of money hot rodding their rifles or buying custom rigs that don't even own a loading kit. I like to take the bench next to em and start stacking holes with a spray painted Savage hunting rifle and some great hand loads.

Robdon, I have been using a 116 in 30-06 as my primary whitetail rig for 20 years and can say without a doubt that it's a great choice. It's accurate, rugged, weather resistant, and dependable and mine has been through hell and high water including being accidentally dropped 24' out of a tree. It has been hunted pretty hard and passed every inadvertent accidental field test over the last couple of decades with flying colors. Even though I have the rifles I "need" bases covered, I currently have 2 of the older116 flatbacks and I'd buy another 116 in in a heartbeat if the right deal, or configuration came along.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I hunt with a 6.5x284 norma in the 116 WW, I don't know how you could go wrong with what ever caliber you chose !!!