Thread: Savage axis action

wicat3

Savage axis action

Hey everyone. I bought an axis with camo stock and weather coating a year or so. It's sat in my safe as I never had time to sight it in and shoot it. The big issue I have is the action is so hard to move. To open the bolt you have to brace the rifle in one hand and use a good deal of force to get it opened. I thought maybe it's new but playing with the bolt hasn't made it any easier. I feel at a cross roads because I have a good capable rifle that I can upgrade the optic and be a good deer rifle or I could sell it and get a mossberg patriot where the bolt action is smooth right out the box. I handled a few newer savages and the action was all the same. The clerk started to say it might ease up with some use but I explained the axis I had is the same way and why I was looking for another rifle to compare the actions. My question is there anything I can do about the bolt or is this a normal thing for the axis?

That doesn't sound right at all. My first thought would be the action screws. Maybe they are binding the bolt? Try loosening the action screws and see if the if the bolt moves more freely.

If other Axis's feel the same to you, maybe it just needs to be lubed?

wicat3
    I have lubed it figuring it is the issue and nothing changes. It is one stiff action. As I said I handled another axis in the store and the action was the same way, stiff. An American ruger was less stiff but still some pressure to open and the mossberg was like butter. I get out the box may need some wear to get it feeling better but to be that stiff seems unnecessary

Basic Member
    I have an axis 223rem heavy barrel i had the same issue with when new and it went from every single round to a few here and there. I also had issues with it not ejecting cases so i called savage and they emailed me a return shipping label on their dime and cleaned up the action and sent it back in less than 3 weeks and everything works great now. They replaced the bolt face and cleaned up the action. before you give up let savage make it right.

You don't want a super loose bolt as the bolt locking up tight and needing some force to lift i would imagine would help with accuracy. My rifle shoots 5 shots in one hole at 100yards. I couldn't be happier. to get rid of the gritty bolt slide get some m pro 7 and lube the rails the bolt slides on and rack the bolt opened and closed a few times.

wicat3
    I have the opertunity to trade the axis for a 110 which seems like a pretty good deal but its in 223 and I dont think that would be a good deer rifle compared to my 270. I contacted savage to see what they can do if anything.

Basic Member
    PT&G sells a Bolt Accessory Kit that replaces the screw holding the bolt together that's supposed to allow some adjustment that makes bolt lift easier as well as "timing".

Don't know how it would work on an Axis bolt but it's supposed to do the job on 10/110 bolts.

Assuming there is no unintended interference with action or scope base screws, this may just be Savage's legendarily heavy bolt lift. Is it hard to work the bolt when the striker is already cocked? That would be a giveaway that there's some sort of interference.

Axises will not benefit from 10/100 bolt lift kits. They will benefit from a TTT job from SSS if you can afford it and are willing to wait.

Another option is to modify the bolt body and handle. I will typically polish the surfaces of the cocking ramp on the boltbody, and an extended bolt handle helps as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    an extended bolt handle helps as well.
    Thunder,

By chance can you recommend a place where I can order a couple of those? I want to put one on my axis as well as the 11/111 I'm currently building in 260 Rem. I'm also curious if they still give you "primary extraction".

Thanks,

To my knowledge the only manufacturers of extended bolt handles for Axises are Glades Armory and SSS. I don't have any experience with either of their handles, but I believe both offer primary extraction on the Axis, unlike 10/110 handles.

I always cut and threaded my own Axis bolt handles and then made my own oversized knobs. I have videos on my YouTube channel outlining both projects if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    To my knowledge the only manufacturers of extended bolt handles for Axises are Glades Armory and SSS. I don't have any experience with either of their handles, but I believe both offer primary extraction on the Axis, unlike 10/110 handles.

I always cut and threaded my own Axis bolt handles and then made my own oversized knobs. I have videos on my YouTube channel outlining both projects if you're interested.

SSS doesn't offer Axis bolt handles. Fred's modified a couple for me on my builds, but it's not something they stock and sell as a regular item.

Ah, I stand corrected. I knew at least one of your custom rifles had a nice, sculpted bolt handle Fred had done.

Basic Member
    Dr Thunder, thank you for the videos.