Thread: New Boyds Stock

Central Kentucky - The Heart of the Bluegrass!

New Boyds Stock

Surprisingly enough, there is a model for the Axis.

http://atonegunstocks.com/
    NRA Life Member
    "get busy living, or get busy dying"

I'm looking into getting one if I can sell some crap I got laying around looks like the only stock you will ever need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Wow that is something !!!

Curious anyone have one and does it feel good ,to hold and wieghty enough for repetitive accuracy shooting

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I'm wondering if there is enough wood in the fore end to open it up to fit a varmint barrel.

Basic Member
    ^^^gotta be. Who else would want it but heavy barrel shooters?

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    I'm wondering if there is enough wood in the fore end to open it up to fit a varmint barrel.
    I would think so they offer a version for the heavy barrel axis

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmracer358 View Post
    I would think so they offer a version for the heavy barrel axis

They do NOT. I called Boyd's to try to order one for my varmint barrel Savage and they won't sell me one because there is not enough wood to accommodate the large diameter barrel. I ordered a Pro-Varmint with extra LOP and an adjustable comb in Coyote. I will have to open up the fore end for my heavy barrel but they say there is enough wood in that model. Now I wait.......

Basic Member
    ^^^THat's crazy stupid. I mean, I believe whatever you say about it, Idaho, but that's just BAD design/thinking.application. Why in the heck would they make them too thin for varmint barrels?!!!!!

Central Kentucky - The Heart of the Bluegrass!
    How much larger than the factory heavy barrel would you need to go? They offer the stock for the factory heavy.
    NRA Life Member
    "get busy living, or get busy dying"

Basic Member
    I sent them an email to ask about opening up the fore end to fit my varmint barrel and was told that it would work. When I called them on the phone to place the order the rep put me on hold to double check before taking the order and then came back with the news that the new stock would not work with a varmint barrel. Not enough wood in the fore end. I imagine that it may have something to do with the lamination process . There would only be 1/8 inch of wood on each side of the barrel. My varmint barrel is a McGowan and is almost 1 inch in diameter at the end of the stock.

Basic Member
    ^^^Probably because they it has that replaceable forearm piece. A normal stock might have enough meat there to support that kind of barrel channel, but considering they basically hollow out the out side of the stock to all you to swap the forearm grip area, there's just too little left to open the barrel channel as well.

Seems to me they need to redesign it to allow wider barrels.

Basic Member
    So no luck for a flcp-sr for this stock huh

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Seriously I would love a adjustable stock for my Model 16 with the factory barrel since savage says I can't use the accustock because mine wasn't one to begin with. I just want a more stable stock than the factory one.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Seriously I would love a adjustable stock for my Model 16 with the factory barrel since savage says I can't use the accustock because mine wasn't one to begin with. I just want a more stable stock than the factory one.
    You can put an Accustock on a Model 16 as long as it is a center feed action. I don't know what they are talking about. Of course, you would also need a recoil lug designed for the Accustock. Personally, I would just opt for a Boyds stock. It's an easier swap.

Banned
    Put this in the For What Its Worth.

My first build was a Savage 111 BTH. That's a Boyd's Thumb Hole Hunter (ie pencil barrel). lightweight smaller stock than the Varmint TH.

I opened it up to a Bull barrel. Took a bit of work, but its not like you would know it had been opened up. The edges are a bit thinner but still there. Bottom is fine.

Its not like its supporting anything (short of a LRH) From the link that shows a good front view, there is a lot of meat there, its a short fore end and the start is 1 inch anyway so the most taper takes place further out.
    This also looks like a heavy barrel or a bull barrel to me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Boyd...=1496694563458

I would take with a grain of wood it can't be done and there is an issue if you do.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    You can put an Accustock on a Model 16 as long as it is a center feed action. I don't know what they are talking about. Of course, you would also need a recoil lug designed for the Accustock. Personally, I would just opt for a Boyds stock. It's an easier swap.
    I read somewhere they said you can grind the recoil lug to fit the accustock like to find someone that has done this.

Basic Member
    ^^^You can. The Accustock's recoil lug is shorter and wider than the regular one. To fit the more shallow recess in the Accustock, a regular lug would have to be ground down a bit. It's obvious what needs to be done if you look at it. The question would be if the lug is then wide enough and strong enough to do its job of handling all the recoil given the fact you just removed maybe 20% of it's surface area and also reduced its strength. Depending upon the cartridge, I am sure it will hold up alright, but I would not do it or recommend it without someone who's opinion I trust (Fred fro SSS) and even then I would want a lot of experience behind the opinion. You are not gonna find that kind of real experience/testing because there aren't enough people who are even interested in doing what you are suggesting.

Please don't take me wrong. I am not saying you are foolish to try or to want to do it. It's just that the Accustock is not all it's cracked up to be. For most shooters who truly need a stock that is stiffer and better than a regular factory stock (someone shooting over 300 yards and likely with a bipod) it is not a good enough improvement over the regular stock. Those folks just don't choose it.

My suggestion is to either replace the recoil lug or choose a different stock.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    ^^^You can. The Accustock's recoil lug is shorter and wider than the regular one. To fit the more shallow recess in the Accustock, a regular lug would have to be ground down a bit. It's obvious what needs to be done if you look at it. The question would be if the lug is then wide enough and strong enough to do its job of handling all the recoil given the fact you just removed maybe 20% of it's surface area and also reduced its strength. Depending upon the cartridge, I am sure it will hold up alright, but I would not do it or recommend it without someone who's opinion I trust (Fred fro SSS) and even then I would want a lot of experience behind the opinion. You are not gonna find that kind of real experience/testing because there aren't enough people who are even interested in doing what you are suggesting.

Please don't take me wrong. I am not saying you are foolish to try or to want to do it. It's just that the Accustock is not all it's cracked up to be. For most shooters who truly need a stock that is stiffer and better than a regular factory stock (someone shooting over 300 yards and likely with a bipod) it is not a good enough improvement over the regular stock. Those folks just don't choose it.

My suggestion is to either replace the recoil lug or choose a different stock.
    Thanks for the input good food for thought

Basic Member
    They have an atone stock for a bull barrel now. I ordered one it's supposed to be delivered today or tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by zr600 View Post
    They have an atone stock for a bull barrel now. I ordered one it's supposed to be delivered today or tomorrow.

Disregard..
    Thnx

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zr600 View Post
    Hey zr600 you ever get that stock and how do you like it ?

Basic Member
    I did get it I like it so far but haven't shot it yet it's at the smiths getting bedded should have it back some time next week. I'll let you know how I like it when I get it back.

Basic Member
    So the factory channel will fit the bull barrel?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    They do NOT. I called Boyd's to try to order one for my varmint barrel Savage and they won't sell me one because there is not enough wood to accommodate the large diameter barrel. I ordered a Pro-Varmint with extra LOP and an adjustable comb in Coyote. I will have to open up the fore end for my heavy barrel but they say there is enough wood in that model. Now I wait.......
    They do make one for the heavy bbl Axis. The UPS guy gave me one yesterday. A full inch varmint barrel, NO.