Thread: Savage 110 FCP/200 ELD-X!!!

Basic Member

Savage 110 FCP/200 ELD-X!!!

Below is a 300 Winchester Magnum I just put together for deer hunting. Did some testing last night to see if this thing can shoot. Very satisfying results.

I've seen some factory guns shoot good but never this consistent. Running Hornady 200 Grain ELD-X bullets and H4350. Half grain increments from 63.0-65.5 gr.

All 6 test loads shot 1/2" or less groups at 100 yards. Just thought I'd post this as I have seen rifles capable of this accuracy but never accross the board with each powder charge.

Savage 110 FCP HS Precision
    Sightron SIII 6-24X50

Hornady 200 Gr ELDX
    H4350 powder
    Cci 250 primer
    Nosler Brass
    .030" off the lands

Basic Member
    Sweet. I love that gun inn that caliber. How does the stock feel under recoil shooting prone?

Basic Member
    Feels great. I expected more recoil to be honest. I've shot several 300 WM/WSM configurations but all were lighter weight hunting rifles. The added weight here is just enough to control recoil but still light enough to use for my hunting needs

Basic Member
    Nice shooting. Have done load development with those bullets for my 308 10T with good results. Used RL-17.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Wow I'm impressed ! great shooting.

I would of thought H-4350 is a bit too fast for 200 grainers in the 300winmag but I stand corrected !

One negative observation if you don't mind... that's a hefty weighing deer rifle. 8 lbs is my max for carrying all day.

Those must be pretty big deer you're hunting (or they're very far away). I use 130gr ttsx at 3,550 fps (24"bbl) in one of my 300winmags, for Northern Ontario deer.

Basic Member
    Thanks guys.

Yes zero, it's hefty. But where I hunt I shoot crop damage in summer (Dnr issued tags for does on farm fields). All of that shooting is done from fields with no stalking, just laying and waiting. My deer season for bucks is hunting from a deer blind. So carry the rifle about 100 yards and sit. Lots of hunters here so we don't have the large fields to stalk in or the heavy brush for drives.

Most shooting is done 100-500 yards. Michigan Whitetail deer

Basic Member

That's the 63.0 grain group retested at 300 yards

I tested 63.0/64.5/65.5 at 300. All shot about 1/2 moa but I went with the lower one for now because I will be threading my tbac can on and want wiggle room for pressure.

Basic Member
    Nice shooting. I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't rebarrel to 300 WM but just love my 338. Could share bullets with my 308 if I rebarrel.

Basic Member
    I also have a 338. 338 LM. That thing is a class of its own compared to my other guns. I wanted one for a long time and refuse to give it up lol. That guns not only accurate but hits like a cement truck when it connects. This will be for the under 500 yard shots. The longer ones go to the LM.

Basic Member
    Your right about 338 LM in a class by itself. Maybe my next rifle will be 300 WM.

Basic Member
    I should note the 338 is its own class in my cabinet. There are many good options, 33-378 being another one, to the LM. I like my 260 for ringing steel but when it comes to stopping power for hunting the bigger rifles take the cake

Basic Member

Grouped 3 rounds at 800 yards while testing bullet drop

Basic Member
    Nice shooting . Where in michigan are you ? Im near traverse city.

Basic Member
    Thank you

Powers. In the upper peninsula

How's the deer herd up there these days? I remember reading an article from the MDNR a couple years back about how they were considering closing the deer season up there because the numbers had gotten so low. Seems the USFS's decision to restrict logging up there really put a hurting on the availability of quality habitat for deer up there. Also read where there were booting people off leases on state/federally owned ground and making them tear down any structures - people who had cabins there for several generations.

Basic Member
    You are correct on the cabin part. It was US forest Service land from what I undersatand. Previously people lease the land from logging companies I believe. Government took it over in 92. Gave 25 year leases to those owners. Leases expired this year. It is part of Ottawa National Forest. They believe the land should be open to anyone therefore they don't allow private land/structures on it. At least that is my understanding.

Depends where you go as far as the deer heard is concerned. Marquette County near Lake Superior saw a dramatic decline in deer. Although they didn't have the abundance we do in Menominee County to begin with. Our area was probably one of the least effected by the bad winters which is what caused the decline. The fact that the government put a hold on controlling the wolf population didn't help matters neither. I know people that saw more wolves than deer in the past couple years. As far as Menominee County is concerned tho we have a lot of deer. More deer this year than we have had in a long time. Lots of fawns this year and last.

The Dnr did limit the number of doe tags issued etc but our County was one of the exemptions (at least for private land). We shoot deer for farmers in the summer and have seen no change in kills as a result of the winter. Dnr kept giving us tags and stated the deer heard was higher for us and Dickenson County. There's several fields here you can drive by and see 50-100 deer in on most nights

I know the northern part of the lower peninsula was hit pretty hard to on their deer heard