Thread: The "One mile" journey.

Basic Member

The "One mile" journey.

Kind of a long story, but I just had to share it with those that can really appreciate it. Several years ago my grandson showed a strong interest in shooting. Since my chosen career had given me a skill set not really appreciated by very many here in ultra liberal Ca, I jumped at the chance to work with him. We started with the basics but as time went by and the calibers got greater, he always said, "someday I want to shoot a mile". I promised him if he worked hard and showed he was ready, I would give him that opertunity. Well that day came last Saturday and he proformed like a champ. We went to a dry lake near where we live and set 21" gong up at a GPS measured mile. I set him up with my .338 Lapua and gave him the dope card we had worked up. He adjusted the scope and within 5 shots was on target. After the barrel cooled, he put 3 additional hits on the target keeping all hits within 17". If he was a grown man I would have been very proud. Given the fact that he is 11 years old was just the icing on the cake. As we were picking up I was telling him what a great job he had done. His reply, "I think we should go for a mile and a half". Who says today's youth are lost.

Basic Member
    Well congratulations to both of you. So were talking about an 11 year old here.
    What does that say to those who preach (practice practice), and maybe some day?
    Kids can do it also, as can just about anybody else with good equiptment, and good basic knowledge.

Basic Member
    I thought I was doing well till I saw this the other day..... New Goals! He's shooting a 6.5x47 Lapua

Basic Member
    Thank you Yobuck! Don't get me wrong, this was the result of years of training not only shooting untold thousands of rounds, but in reloading and load development as well. I didn't just want him to to do it, I wanted him to understand how it happens and to develop skills he will be able to pass on to his kids. Kind of a family legacy to be able to shoot well. Both his dad and I have competed in and won several SWAT competition shoots here is So Cal and I'm confidant he is on the road to being even more capable.

Basic Member
    Well I'm not even attempting to say we are all created equal as for individual ability.
    Fact is though most of us reach a certain level, and pretty much remain there regardless of the number of rounds we shoot.
    Ive known people who started trap shooting, and within a short time had broken 100 straight targets with their hunting gun, while many others never did that with any gun.
    But that dosent mean that with more rounds, and years of practice they will ever break 200 straight either, even with a $25.000 gun.
    So that raises the question as to just how much practice or years of experience is necessary for one to shoot very well?
    I think an 11 year old kid shooting a 338 Lapua well at 1 mile can offer some insite to that question.
    Certainly not all kids or even adults could even handle a 338 Lapua, and certainly he couldn't have done it without an experienced coach.
    But fact is he was on the gun not the coach, and ive seen the same type thing happen with not just kids, but with inexperienced adults also.
    I can also tell you that can be very embarrassing to some people. There have been teenage kids who have won year end aggregate awards, meaning best group average for all the matches of the whole season at Williamsport, while competing against the big dogs.

Basic Member
    That's awesome. Kids don't have high BP that affects trying to shoot long range. My high BP messes with my aiming. Could you tell us the specs on the rifle and type of ammo? I picked up a 110 338 FCP with plans to shoot 1 mile. There's a milk jug challenge in Utah I plan on trying when I'm ready. Have developed the load using Hornady 285 ELD-M and H-1000. That young man may turn out to be a great sniper some day.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I thought I was doing well till I saw this the other day..... New Goals! He's shooting a 6.5x47 Lapua

Wow, impressive. Would like to know the details of the ammo including the chrono data.

Basic Member
    He either shooting the 140 RDF or 139Scenar with H4350 and cci450's at about 2815fps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Thanks guys. The load data we settled on is as follows, .338 Lapua brass loaded with 90 grains of H1000. CCI-250 magnum primers and Hornady ELD Match 285 gr. Seated to .028 off the lands. The crono showed 2797 fps and it shot .195" @ 100 yds.

One huge advantage kids and new shooters have over us "seasoned" shooters is that they don't overthink the shot. While we're sitting there contemplating the wind, elevation, angle, etc. they're simply aiming and squeezing off the shot with no distractions. Often times we shooters are our own Achilles Heal.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonB View Post
    Thanks guys. The load data we settled on is as follows, .338 Lapua brass loaded with 90 grains of H1000. CCI-250 magnum primers and Hornady ELD Match 285 gr. Seated to .028 off the lands. The crono showed 2797 fps and it shot .195" @ 100 yds.
    Could you list your rifle specs? I load 89.8 H-1000 @2760 fps out of my Savage 338 using 285 ELD-M. No issues with this load. Going any further and I start seeing case swipes.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    One huge advantage kids and new shooters have over us "seasoned" shooters is that they don't overthink the shot. While we're sitting there contemplating the wind, elevation, angle, etc. they're simply aiming and squeezing off the shot with no distractions. Often times we shooters are our own Achilles Heal.
    I think you might have touched on something, but I wouldn't agree totally with the kids vs (seasoned) part. lol
    Fact is it aint as hard as some try to make it out to be, and if it was, most of us including the kids couldn't do it.
    Realize that no 1000 yd group record holder has ever matched his own record or set a new one.
    I was present when a record holder with a then 10 shot world record of about 3 3/4" in laymans terms, shot one over 48" in a subsequent match.
    I know another former record holder who would have won his relay, had all 10 been on the paper.
    So much for wind reading, and any other special skills one might think a world record holder might have.
    Being lucky enough to draw an early relay before the wind picks up, trumps being an expert, even for the experts.
    Or being very good at having 10 in the air at the same time. lol

Basic Member
    Bearcatrp it is a Savage 112 target model. Been massaged a little, but nothing has been changed in the chamber. I have to agree with Yobuck on the wind. At extended distances there are just too many wind changes during the shot to make reading it very practical. (At least here in the desert) We have taken to going shooting at first light to combat the daily wind and mirage. It can be tough to see the target well in the early morning light as we are forced to shoot toward the sunrise. My son came up with using a mirror positioned to reflect the sunlight onto the target to help eleviate the problem. Anything to get a leg up on Mother Nature.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonB View Post
    Bearcatrp it is a Savage 112 target model. Been massaged a little, but nothing has been changed in the chamber. I have to agree with Yobuck on the wind. At extended distances there are just too many wind changes during the shot to make reading it very practical. (At least here in the desert) We have taken to going shooting at first light to combat the daily wind and mirage. It can be tough to see the target well in the early morning light as we are forced to shoot toward the sunrise. My son came up with using a mirror positioned to reflect the sunlight onto the target to help eleviate the problem. Anything to get a leg up on Mother Nature.
    Exactly, and if you were a long range hunter, you would have multible locations from which to hunt.
    That for a variety of reasons, including shorter distances at some for the reason being discussed, and most importantly sun angle.
    You always want the sun at your back or very close, and you pick locations to hunt during the times of day that happens. We refer to them as morning and afternoon spots, or in some cases a good all day spot due to multible directions you can glass. And of coarse on overcast days it makes no difference.
    But you wouldnt drive an hour to reach a location you cant hunt because of the sun angle or otherwise poor glassing conditions.
    So for those who have a place in mind to shoot, its best to make a dry run to check all that out first, otherwise it can be a long wait until the sun angle gets right.
    The really good snipers lived to be really good because of all those little details, and not just because they could shoot real well.
    Cheat when ever and how ever you can if the rules permit. lol