Thread: 300 RUM / 190gr Sierra Tipped MK's

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

300 RUM / 190gr Sierra Tipped MK's

300 RUM / 190gr Sierra Tipped MK's and / or 200gr SMK's...

What powder are y'all using on the above mentioned combination?

Barrel is 28" long and .850" at the hole.

Where's Deano when I need him. Dude, If you're reading this drop me a line OR give me a call. I'm changing out one of my 338 Edgie Wedgies into a 300 RUM.
    Need a start point after I burn it in.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

I used Reload 22 in my 300 Win Mag. With out looking it should work. I also use the SMK 200 grain in my mag.

Basic Member
    Yeah, RL-22 and 25 have been ok for my 300WM's.

Using the Dean "Pack 'Em Tight" Scope Eye method of reloading heavy magnums I find the slowest powder possible and run them hot has been giving me incredible results.

I'm thinking the 300RUM is similar to the 338 Edge but with the smaller diameter bullet I'm thinking the dynamics change a bit.
    I like to burn them in with that new IMR 7977 powder. Clean burning stuff.
    About 15 rounds loaded from Lyman's lowest charge to near max.

Deano got me started on loading heavy magnums with very slow powders and compressed charges. Shortly after I had to re-mortgage the house to afford more powder but hey, it's all in good fun....

edit- site finally let me correct my boo-boo...
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 05-04-2017 at 07:08 AM. Reason: funble fingers on keyboard.

Basic Member
    By the way, 2nd line on post above -

That's RUN, not FUN.

Site won't let me edit the post.

Basic Member
    Retumbo, RL25, 7828, H870, or WC872 in that order.
    Both bullets good choices.

Basic Member
    Yobuck,
    How you doing young fella?

I moved up here to the very northern part of Fla. So far north, the Georgia state line is 2 miles down the road. How's life in Vero or Penn., or where ever you are now?

As for powders, I'm finding excellent results with Retumbo & N570 from Vihta Vuori in the 338 Edge. The N570 is a little more money but a fine powder for loading 100+gr in the RUM cartridges.

I reckon I'll have to experiment a little. With any luck I'll find a decent combo before I burn the rifling out of the barrel.
    By the way, I have my very own 400yd test range on the east side of my place. It took a bit of work clearing out the trees but it provided a considerable amount of oak firewood for the winter. Now all I need is someone to split it for me.
    Might be a good time to invite my son-in-law up for a few days....

I think Deano is in the process of moving down South.....Florida if I recall. He's probaby still in the process. I'm sure he'll be on as soon as he gets a chance. I'll keep up with this thread, just picked up a 300 Rum barrel a few weeks ago.
    Scooter

Hi guys I am finally moved in, you will never know how good it feels to be out of that oppressive state. I know there are some members that still live there no disrespect, I just couldn't take it anymore, anyways it would have been just a matter of time before I was hauled off for being a threat to the commonwealth for what I had, even though it was legally obtained anyways enough of that. I have all but given up on conventional powders when loading RUMs 70 rounds per pound gets old and expensive. I have now moved on and now am using Ammonium Nitrate as a propellant it gets the job done and is very clean to use and comes in those handy 50 pound bags. And after a while you hardly even notice those black SUVs at they end of the street. PM me for some load data I don't really want to give my trade secrets away.

DeanO
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    It'll probably take a while to de-program Deano now that he's a resident of Florida.

You'd like it up here where I'm at. When I shoot in the backyard my neighbor (a mile down the road) will swing by to see what the earth rumbling noise is. As usual, he wants to try out whatever I'm shooting.

I'll try to give you a call later today. I'm still deciding if I want to continue with my house project or take a screw-off day. I need a day off badly. Getting old(er) sucks baloney skins.

Basic Member
    Hi Frank, is the neibor showing up to see what your shooting, or what you shot?
    Never tried any N570, but that should work also. Retumbo works well in pretty much everything big as does RL25.
    No need for you to be worrying about temp sensitive where you are.
    I'm still here chasing specks around the lakes with no water left.
    At least its easier to find them, but also easier finding those ****ed stumps. lol
    Getting old is a state of mind Frank, some guys are old their entire life.

Basic Member
    "Getting old is a state of mind Frank, some guys are old their entire life."

Remarkably profound, my friend.
    It's only been the last 2-3yrs. where I stopped doing chores / work like I'm still 25. The mind still thinks like a 25yr old but the body won't co-operate...

I'm still in shock that my wife made me apply for Social Security bennies last month!

Thanks for your input.
    Stay well.

Team Savage
    I use h1000 in my 338 edge and in my friends 300 rum with the 208 amax. I think it will be a tad slow with the 190s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Vihta Vuori shows upwards of 98gr max with N570.

Hodgdon shows around 96gr max for Retumbo.

Only one way to find out, I reckon...

Trying to keep the velocity over 3000fps so it looks like my chono will be getting a good workout.

As long as I don't shoot it.
    Again...