Thread: What are the best upgrades for the money?

What are the best upgrades for the money?

I bought a FXP in .308 with an Accutrigger, right before I left on a trip to Afghanistan. The rifle shot OK, about 2" at 100M. When I get back I will have money and I intend to start ordering parts while I am here. Which brings me to my question. What are the best upgrades for the money? A new stock is a must and so is new glass. Are there any other major considerations?

Re: What are the best upgrades for the money?

Bedding, handloading, maybe a trigger if your not fond of the accutrigger.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Ray Gunter

In this order

Bedding
    Trigger
    Stock
    Better scope
    aftermarket barrel (a good one)

Buy quality glass first, then a stock and trigger if need be but good glass should be first
    More shooting, less typing.

Team Savage

range time

claysshotgunner

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gunter
    In this order

Bedding
    Trigger
    Stock
    Better scope
    aftermarket barrel (a good one)
    Just my thought, but I think I would put a new stock before bedding. Seems like a waste to bed and then buy a new stock.

Eric in NC

Will disagree with the others slightly - first thing you need with the package gun is RINGS. Everything on the gun is ok except for those (my opinion).

After that, new glass and a new stock (bedded) would be my choice. The factory stock is ok but is too flexible for max accuracy.

After that, trigger time and lots of ammo. Then you can get in to an aftermarket trigger and a fine barrel (the factory tube will probably shoot lights out though).

cking817

In this order;

Range time.
    Range time.
    Range time.
    Range time.
    Range time.
    Range time.
    and then reloading.

Just my .02

KMAY

Wouldn't you want to learn how to reload so you can have all the range time?

Basic Member

Rings and base
    Glass
    Stock
    Reloading
    Barrel
    Recoil lug
    112,223,choate uv,nikon 6-18<br />lrpv,204,hs stock,sightron S3 6-24x50<br />12 target,McGowen 6mmbr,SSS hbr,Sightron S3 8-32<br />Mark II,22lr,thumbhole,Tasco 6-24x40<br />11 youth,243,Simmons 2.5-10x50<br />116fcss 30-06<br />12fv,204,VX-3 4.5-14x50

82boy

I have a bit different suggestions that the other but I agree with some.

In my experience range time is the best investment, shooting improvement is not something you can throw money at and expect to became better. Small groups can be shot with a factory stock rifle right out of the box.

If I had to pick one piece of equipment that would have the most improvement on your shooting it would be reloading gear. You can NEVER expect to shoot any better groups with factory ammo, the ammo needs to be tailored and tuned to the gun.

Second thing is a good scope, noticed I did not say an expensive scope, but a good scope. You will never shoot small groups with a low end scope.

After that I would say building your self a set of wind-flags, getting a good rest, and rear bag. Don&#39;t worry about changing the gun it will preform. Once you get to the point where every 5 shoot 100 yard group you shoot will measure around .5 or under, then worry about changing the gun. Until then forget about modifying the gun.

Like I said before you can not trow money at this and expect great results, you will only end up frustrated, and you will give up. If I was to change anything about your gun, it would be the caliber. A 308 is not a beginner friendly caliber, and can cause some bad habits to appear.

The old saying still stands true how do you get to Carnegie hall, it is done by practice, practice, practice.

TexasThunder

Get home safe and well first. Our prayers are with you

82Boy is on the money with this one the more you shoot the better you get plain and simple.
    Decent glass good rest and bag and maybe a 223 to start,but I saw you are military so a 308 may be already in your favor so just shoot it,reload for it,find the load it likes and load,load,load then shoot,shoot,shoot.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Snowwolfe

2 MOA? First thing I would do is to sell the rifle and buy another one.

Golfbuddy45

What rifle "FXP" did you buy? There are two FXP models in the Savage Catalog - 11 FXP3 and 16 FXP3. There is also a 10FXP that was sold at big stores - maybe a distributor model - I believe Walmart sold them.

My 1st SIL got back from over there a few months ago. Take care of yourself and your buddies - take advantage of whatever training you can get - or stay in for a while. The job market is tough these days.

AVanGorder

Without a doubt. I&#39;d get a match grade barrel and a machined recoil lug.

Thank you all for the suggestions! I bought the dies to start reloading before I left, but didn&#39;t have time to start. Practice will come in the form of classes taught around NC, deer season, local competitions, and I have to be competent in my marksmanship abilities before most of that. The rifle is a .308 10FXP bought at Wal-Mart for $280 so, it was a deal I could not pass up.

I have little faith in some of the factory items. The scope that came on it for one, because it was a 1/4 MOA adjustable Bushnell that one click would equal nothing, 1/4 MOA, or an inch depending on the day. Sometimes 10 clicks equalled nothing. The recoil pad broke the second time I took it out to shoot. It took me almost 10 rounds to get on paper at 25M, when I first got the rifle. I contacted Savage about the recoil pad and the scope and they recommended to send the whole rifle to them, but time did not allow for that. The local Gunsmith and I thoroughly checked out the gun, and everything else seemed to be fine. I do have faith in my abilities as a Rifleman, reloader, and consumer of aftermarket parts.

DGD6MM

First thing- stay safe. If it was my rifle- base, rings, scope, rest or bi-pod, reload. When you go to the range and practice this will bring it all together for starters. These rifles will shoot, some are a little more tempermental then others. You got the rifle at a good price, later if you think you need a new stock or something else, go for it. I&#39;ve bedded factory stocks that shoot fine for what they are intended for. The possibilities with these rifles are almost endless. Take Care, and Thanks. :)

Team Savage

Ditch that scope setup first.
    You will drive yourself nuts with a scope like that.

Never seen a recoil pad break in half.

Really I like to do all this at the same time and just set the rifle up like I want, but....
    If I had to break it up I would do - in this order

On the factory stock make sure the tang is free floated and the factory recoil lug is in full contact
    IE make sure the action screws are not taking any recoil.
    If you have a recoil lug problem you can always bed just the lug which cost literally nothing.

1 pc Picatiiny EGW or Farrel base, Burris extreme rings, good scope - lots of $ here

Stock, bedding, machined recoil lug.

SSS trigger is a must have that I want ASAP.

Match Barrel or if you cant get the factory barrel to tighten up maybe run a set
    of Tubbs final finish bullets through the factory barrel. On a problem barrel that will usually cut the
    groups in half.

I also agree with 82boy above and learn to reload. For 100 yard plinking I prefer the 110 gr Vmax.
    Great bullet.

For long range I now prefer the 208 gr Amax over RL17. I am going to try the new power pro powders soon.

If you dont reload shoot Black Hills 308 match ammo. That said you will save a lot of $ reloading.

Oh yes. Watch your ass over there and stay safe.

Team Savage

Lots of good advice. Watch yourself while your over there. And not to change the subject, but. Is your handle in reference to the mc1-1b and mc1-1c modified t-10?
    Stu

Galveston22

Stock
    Reloading
    Glass
    Trigger

Just my $.02

Is your handle in reference to the mc1-1b and mc1-1c modified t-10?
    Yes my reference is to parachutes. Most of my jumps have been on Ste. Mere, and Luzon. Once agian thanks to all of you and I cannot wait to shoot my rifle again.