Thread: Where are our varmint hunters?

Where are our varmint hunters?

Did you guys all take up golf or what? We used to have a pretty good group of varmint hunters around here but lately not-so-much. Groundhog season is just getting started so I expect to start seeing some carnage here soon from you guys.

My favorite past time out my front door, coyote, prairie dogs, ground squirrels, 6br- best 300-500+, Magnum Research 22- ground squirrels out to 75yds or so, coyote usually use a 22-250 as its always loaded by the door. Just lucky I've shot the same pasture ,knowing about how many yards by sight.How about you.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

22-250 right at 325yds, right in the middle of cows/w calves, surprised 55 Nosler did so much damage must of hit a major bone.

4 coyote skulls intact now, shoot in the the middle of a Pdog village leave it for about 3-4 months Pdogs, dung Beatles clean it all natural. Most times I to lazy to skin a coyote sorry for high jacking the thread

No worries, just wish I had that kind of entertainment in my front yard. LOL

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    No worries, just wish I had that kind of entertainment in my front yard. LOL
    Life is all about choices.
    Yes I know, those type things could lead to a divorce.
    If you live to be 80, have some long talks with yourself. lol

Lol, fortunately 18 yrs ago my wife was right by my side, sadly at the time she was a better shot than I. Now she's thrilled when I'm reducing the PD and coyotes populations as the later group is very hard on Barn cats

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I went out in April to Eastern Oregon for some Sage Rat shooting, but the winter was so hard over there this year, that the fields I shoot, only had 4 or 5 mounds in the entire field and I might have fired 30 rounds....

Apparently, the fields flooded pretty bad this year and killed most of them. Will be making a call in the next week to see if anymore have shown up or they've had a batch of juveniles pop up yet...

Had to wait for the neighbor to get done with Turkey season. Didn't want to disturb him. Have a possum & woodchuck so far and it's not even warming up yet. Got the .17 tuned up and looking forward to it.

Basic Member
    Groundhog hunting in places like PA where I spent most of my life has been decimated by the coyote population.
    The ones that survive don't wander too far away from safety. Many serious groundhog hunters have given up hunting them.
    Back in the day however there were very serious hunters who would rather that than any other type hunting.
    Long range shooting, including hunting, would not have escalated to where it is today without varmit hunters paving the way.
    The (fact) is that the worlds first 1000 yd benchrest club was started by groundhog hunters, and that is well documented.
    Long range deer hunting in PA, or anywhere for that matter, is simply groundhog hunting a different species, while the technique and equiptment remain the same.
    Those attempting the extreme distance kills, knew decades ago that the smaller cartridges don't do very well on groundhogs either.
    The argument over which ones are best, is what started it all at Williamsport.

Today was a very very bad day for P-dogs on the high plains of Colorado, no wind , and easy zeroed dogs

It's bear season here. No time for dad gumned varmints.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Snows gone, so is the coyote hunting up here or down here, what ever it would be for you !!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    It's bear season here. No time for dad gumned varmints.
    Rewards come from never turning down a good opportunity.
    For some things the season is always right now.

Between the wind,rain,cold temps and turkey season I haven't made it out yet to work on the groundhog population. Hopefully soon!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nosler hog 1.jpg   Nosler hog 2.jpg  
    Last edited by 243LPR; 07-29-2017 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Add pix
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    Between the wind,rain,cold temps and turkey season I haven't made it out yet to work on the groundhog population. Hopefully soon!
    Ive got a few long range friends who live in your area, actually quite a few.
    Does the name Parmer ring any bells? Theres several different families of them and all are involved.
    Swimming pools, ready mix concrete, and construction.
    Is any shooting permitted on the Masonic home property?

Actually just saw one of their concrete trucks today. No shooting and very little hunting on masonic property,you have to be an employee or immediate family.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by tric3imagery View Post
    Today was a very very bad day for P-dogs on the high plains of Colorado, no wind , and easy zeroed dogs

Do you have a great place for PDogs? Looking for a place to take my son in late May/Early June of 2018 for a high school graduation trip. We have the guns, ammo, and saving for the trip. Just looking for a great place to go.

Basic Member
    No ground hogs here.........

been soooo **** hot here.....p/dogs are my game............

actually went yesterday and today......20 PT yesterday.....20-222 today.......

Today was G R E A T ......shooting arena was in 200-350 yds......shot 170 rds or so....

kilt about 140 dogs.....who counts.......clouds were wonderful.......

I shoot this field 1-2x a summer....today was good...honey hole to say........

these rodents do sooo much damage to a field....the Savage 20-222 takes care of that....

pic is of another day.....but the 20-222 is awesome with 40 V max.......

S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

Rescued my newly purchased LH 93R17 from the state mandated 10 day 'cooling off period' yesterday. Degreased/loctited/torqued the scope base screws, and mounted up the scope. Tomorrow I'll go to range and sight it in. In a week or two it'll go with me up to Southern Oregon to visit my good friend and make a significant dent in the ground squirrel population on the ranch that he maintains. Many .22LR's and .17HMR's will be fired, to the detriment of those burrowing rats....

I didn't get nearly as much groundhog hunting in this spring as I have the last few years. By the time late June/early July rolls around the beans are high enough for the pesky boogers to remain hidden. Nobody plants alfalfa around here anymore so I can't hunt those after they've been cut so that's pretty much the end of my season. I'll get to pop a few at the range through the remainder of the summer, but those are merely targets of opportunity rather than hunting.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain