Thread: Where to buy an ejector retaining pin

Basic Member

Where to buy an ejector retaining pin

I am asking WTB (Where to buy) the retaining pin on the bolt head that holds in the ejector. I booger'd one up driving it out this evening and need a replacement. Thanks in advance.

Basic Member
    Gun Shack includes one in its "bolt head kit". They don't list it separately, but a call or email might turn one up for you. If not, Savage may be your next stop.

After my original post, I looked at Brownells and they have the pin and the other 3 parts in the Gun Shack kit.
    Last edited by cdhbrad; 04-30-2017 at 09:13 PM.

Basic Member
    Thanks a bunch.. I cut down an allen wrench to be able to drive those suckers out and its been working fine for me. I can't find a gunsmith punch kit with a punch that small, hence I don't have the proper tool for the job.

Basic Member
    Paper clip?

Basic Member
    I cut down a 1/16th drill bit and just use the smooth shaft. May need to clean up the cut with a file, but works for me.

Basic Member
    The paper clip just isn't strong enough to do the job. Funny thing is I ordered the bolt head parts kit from Gunshack and they sent me an email saying I was the 10,000th order and my order would be FREE of charge... LOL... I knew I should have stuck a new barrel and bolt handle on that order....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowtownup View Post
    Thanks a bunch.. I cut down an allen wrench to be able to drive those suckers out and its been working fine for me. I can't find a gunsmith punch kit with a punch that small, hence I don't have the proper tool for the job.
    I use a 1/16" punch worked down to .058" to both remove the retaining pin and as a slave to reinstall the ejector.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

What about a brad or finishing nail? Chuck it in a drill and turn it till it fits.

Basic Member
    Thanks...

Basic Member
    Pm sent.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Brownells is another place that carries them

Banned
    I think I did the drill bit tool though I cleaned it up.

I didn't have a punch small enough.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowtownup View Post
    Way back in my early career days I worked in a R&D shop where few tools existed for what we were working on. Wasn't uncommon to make punches from items like allen wrenches, etc. We'd make them look "Professional" by merely drilling a hole in he end of a piece of round stock and epoxy the cut down allen wrench piece in the hole (which we drilled so it was snug to begin with. It then got chucked in a drill and held to the side of a grinder wheel while spinning until it was the right diameter for the job.

Finishing nails and such are just too soft to make good punches although nails do make good alignment tools for some assembly tasks.

Starrett makes a nice little punch set with a 1/64th. Cant tap very hard though. They like to bend.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I use the Brownells cup punch. #1 (.057) to drive out the pin and as a drift to hold the ejector in place when I replace the pin. I use a #2 (.066) to drive it back in. Also buy my pins from Brownells. Never hurts to have some spares around.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...s-prod656.aspx

Basic Member
    This is what I have, https://store.snapon.com/Midget-Punc...h-P635000.aspx

Measures .060 and slide smoothly into head. Removes pin and re-installs very nicely, and as any Snap On user knows, VERY good steel.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.