Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 308 full length sizing issue

Sound advice. It happened to me.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncwg2boatguy View Post
    Sound advice. It happened to me.
    Turned out to be me. Got lube on the neck. Redding advised me to only lube the neck and body. I also polished the expander area and that helped with the occasional stiff case. Due to their response (call, not an email), I'll be updating ALL my reloading equipment (minus the Dillon presses and Harrell powder throw) to Redding products. I also got lucky enough to get some once fired Nosler Custom brass from a guy that didn't know what it was. After depriming and SS wet tumble, they all weighed within .2 grains of each other. That's not bad for 24 pieces of brass.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenton91 View Post
    I've checked under the lock ring, no vent hole. And I'm not hating on PPU. The primer issue was in the pistol(38 & 357) cases. No issues with the 308 brass yet. And if it's built Ford tough, point me to the good Chevy brass. As to the dies, I've emailed Redding about it to see if it missed a step in the manufacturing process. I might even go ahead and put one in it anyways. I've got the tooling to do it.

I like 3 types of brass a lot.

Lapua of course is first class.

PPU as stated

I like RP a lot, its a bit softer and easier to work with but not FC soft.

I have a lot of RP, a middle amount of PPU and Lapua (only on sale though!)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    I like 3 types of brass a lot.

Lapua of course is first class.

PPU as stated

I like RP a lot, its a bit softer and easier to work with but not FC soft.

I have a lot of RP, a middle amount of PPU and Lapua (only on sale though!)
    Can't bring myself to buy Lapua. When my 6mmBR is finished.

Basic Member
    If you turned the die in an addtional 1/4 to 1/3 turn how much are you bumping the shoulder? I just put a new Redding die into service and I screwed it in to touch the shell holder then backed it out one full turn. Then I slowly screwed the die in until I got a measured .0015 to .002 shoulder bump measured with a RCBS precision mic. Thats pretty much what the instructions from Redding said. This is with a Redding Boss press, Redding shell holder, and Redding die. I cleaned the die well and I could feel the roughness for at least the first 150 rounds even with well waxed cases, then it disappeared and is smooth as silk.

Basic Member
    The directions weren't so clear, so I went to the fallback plan. Lee directions. Insert shellholder, raise ram, screw die in until it touches, lower ram, screw in additional 1/4 - 1/3 and raise ram to overcam. Screw down the locking ring, begin sizing. Redding said it's perfectly fine. It resizes the brass back to acceptable handloading specs per SAAMI.

Banned
    You will also get case separation in about 8 rounds.

Basic Member
    You will also get case separation in about 8 rounds.
    I'm on 12 and haven't had one separate yet. I've got 3 more loadings and 1 more annealing before I toss them. Mind you, this is not my competition brass. Bonus? I finally got the rifle to shoot well at 300 yards.

Banned
    First I am surprised at lack of separation and secondly if I was shooting that good regularly I would be dancing in the streets (very nice).

I am getting 4 shot groups of that class regularly but always a 5th in there someplace I get off and opens up to 1/2 or 5/8.

Progress but slow.

While I don't have a long enough term use on the PPU (rifle) for absolute, it is acting more and more like a poor mans Lapua and your results seem to confirm that.

Basic Member
    First I am surprised at lack of separation and secondly if I was shooting that good regularly I would be dancing in the streets (very nice).

I am getting 4 shot groups of that class regularly but always a 5th in there someplace I get off and opens up to 1/2 or 5/8.

Progress but slow.
    Dancing? I was singing. It took me over 5 boxes of 175 SMKs and almost a full box of the 185 OTM Bergers to get to this point. She loves the 185s over 44.6 (max) of Varget at 2.800". I had finally figured out the velocity/barrel harmonics change with our brake and found that with the scope sighted at 100 yards with the 175 SMKs, the 185s shot on the first drop on the Vortex BDC on 16x(max). Since I've added this brake, I've enjoyed the way the gun shoots. Not to stretch it to 500 and beyond.....and to figure out how to afford the Bergers....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12