Thread: For Remington Bolt Action owners, a question

Basic Member

For Remington Bolt Action owners, a question

How many Remington owners out there have had problems with the standard extractor "clip" that fits in the recess in the bolt nose (riveted or non-riveted)?

I found it to be a major pain in my two Rem Bolt actions, (.223 and 308). Seems like all kinds of crud builds up under it and it gets harder and harder to close the bolt with the extra resistance to the hook end being pressed out of the way by the extraction rim on the case. Some cases get some nasty nicks on them when this happens.

On my .308 I got so frustrated I changed the Bolt to a PT&G One-Piece that uses the M-16 style extractor. Not offered for my .223 bolt face. Just wondering if others have had this issue or it's a product of my high round count. I consider a "lite" range day when I only shoot 100 rounds per caliber and I shoot a minimum of twice per week. (Retired and a Widower so little else gets in my way of shooting time).

Any feedback on what others have experienced, modifications performed, or changes made, would be welcome.

I know this is a Savage based forum but I also know that there are those out there that own some Remingtons. I'd like to hear from them.

PS: I DO own a Savage and even though I see potential issues with the extractor, I prefer it to the Remington system.

I did a Remage conversion on my 700 and long story short I changed extractors. I went with the M16 style and love it. Kampfeld custom did mine. You can get ahold of him and he could maybe do it the job for you.
    Scooter

Basic Member
    Remember these are also production guns made primarily for hunters.
    I own about equal numbers of 700s and Savages and haven't had any issues with the factory extractor.
    I have had a few Saco type extractors installed in a couple over the years because it is a better system.
    But those were on guns being converted and it was just another thing on the list.

wingzero
    No issues with my Remington bolt and standard extractor, but I only shoot around 50-75 on 308 and around 100 on 223 per range trip. I also clean the bolt face with toothpick after each session.

I ordered a PTG bolt with my upcoming Remage project because I want a small firing pin. I chose the M16 extractor because it seems more popular, even though they say that it might compromise the ring of steel.

Pic of PTG bolt and Remington Bolt. Small vs Large firing pin. Currently using the PTG bolt on my Rem 308, while saving for a Remage barrel (6mm BR), but have to bump the shoulder to .01 inch to properly chamber the round.

Maybe make cleaning the bolt head part of your cleaning routine. I use a safety pin with the end bent into a L shape to reach in underneath the extractor. Works pretty well as you have the other clip end of the safety pin to hold onto.

Basic Member
    I guess it might be easy to start an argument over the ring of steel anyway wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    I guess it might be easy to start an argument over the ring of steel anyway wouldn't it?
    Glad I'm not the only one who saw through that line of marketing B.S.