Thread: Savage 10 staggered feed box mag

Savage 10 staggered feed box mag

Forgive the question because I'm sure this one has been asked 1,000 times. This rifle was formerly a .243 Win. and I have rebarreled it for 6.8SPC I need to tweak the feed lips inward to enable more reliable chambering.

My fabbed feed lip tool would work flawlessly if I could use it. The problem is I don't think I can remove the Box mag from the action. I have found through some internet searches that this is very common among shooters who try to do their own work. The way that the box is retained on the Savage 10 Action makes it pretty difficult to remove without deforming the box and would rather not mess it up. Instead I think I'm going to try a different approach and use some sort of plate placed on the lips and press them down and tweak them that way? any other ideas?

Basic Member
    A .243 box won't work. A .223 box will, by spreading the lips. To remove the box, you'll need a spreader tool that pushes the box away from the recoil lug as you lift it up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magboxtool.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	3052
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

A .243 Box won't work for my 6.8 application or do you mean the spreader tool won't work?

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    A .243 box won't work. A .223 box will, by spreading the lips. To remove the box, you'll need a spreader tool that pushes the box away from the recoil lug as you lift it up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magboxtool.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	3052

The .243 box won't work. You need to find a .223 box... that's what I get out of that.

Cheers,

The 243 box won't work and the home smith tool is a large flat blade screw driver and a semi hard slap back to front at the trigger side of box. Don't get super aggressive if it doesn't go try in other direction. Put new one in in reverse direction.
    P.S. upward angle.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Jiminy Cricket
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I was able to get the box out using a tool similar to the above and worked the feed lips enough to get it to feed the rounds. It's not as reliable as I would like but it's about 90%. I will probably end up getting a .223 mag box but I think I can make this work for now.