Thread: Rifle Basix Trigger

Basic Member

Rifle Basix Trigger

I was really disappointed with the factory trigger. Even though I managed a four shot group with factory 243 ammo right at an inch with a cheap Zeiss Terra scope I was looking for something better. After watching a few videos about replacing the factory spring I decided to order a new trigger. At just under $90 with shipping I placed an order on Saturday and it was home waiting for me yesterday. I spent about 20 minutes on the install and it went pretty smooth.
    I like the way the silver trigger looks on the all black rifle too. Although I don't have a trigger gauge I'll take a wild guess and estimate it is a hair under three pounds. I also wiped the barreled action down with Frog Lube while I had it apart and let it site over night before putting it back together this morning at 5:30 before I headed out for work. Looking forward to getting back to the range this weekend to shoot it some more.
    I might even take it out to 200 yards and see how it shoots. Doubt I'll do much of anything to the stock since it shoots just fine as it is.

Basic Member
    I like the Rifle Basix trigger on my Axis. I have mine set at 14oz, which is the advertised lowest setting. It passed all the safety tests. Adjusting lower, it did not pass. It is a nice trigger and worth the $90, IMO. I do have modified Accutriggers on two other rifles that are as light, with one lighter. But, I am not the biggest fan of the Accutrigger, other than they are safe due to the Accutrigger blade.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    I like the Rifle Basix trigger on my Axis. I have mine set at 14oz, which is the advertised lowest setting. It passed all the safety tests. Adjusting lower, it did not pass. It is a nice trigger and worth the $90, IMO. I do have modified Accutriggers on two other rifles that are as light, with one lighter. But, I am not the biggest fan of the Accutrigger, other than they are safe due to the Accutrigger blade.
    My Savage is one with the Bottom Bolt Release so I am totally restricted on the type of replacement trigger I can use. I decided that instead of changing I'd see what the OE Accutrigger could do. The action is a 10T that came on a rifle I bought from Cabela's. All I've done to the trigger is blow it clean and back the adjustment down as far as I could until the spring hit the trigger itself. Checking pull weight shows it breaks at a consistent 1.25 lbs. After I got used to it I am able to shoot sub .25 MOA with hand loads. The action is mounted in a Tac-21 chassis with Benchmark Barrel but the trigger itself is untouched. I just consider the "safety" to be the first stage of a two-stage trigger. Takes getting used to though.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    My Savage is one with the Bottom Bolt Release so I am totally restricted on the type of replacement trigger I can use. I decided that instead of changing I'd see what the OE Accutrigger could do. The action is a 10T that came on a rifle I bought from Cabela's. All I've done to the trigger is blow it clean and back the adjustment down as far as I could until the spring hit the trigger itself. Checking pull weight shows it breaks at a consistent 1.25 lbs. After I got used to it I am able to shoot sub .25 MOA with hand loads. The action is mounted in a Tac-21 chassis with Benchmark Barrel but the trigger itself is untouched. I just consider the "safety" to be the first stage of a two-stage trigger. Takes getting used to though.

Sounds you had a decent trigger/sear on yours. The most recent rifle I purchased, a 12FV from Cabela's tested about 3lbs, maybe less. That was with the spring adjusted to the lightest pull. I polished the trigger a little and used a ball point pen spring and a 10-24 screw with the head cut off screwed partially through the accutrigger spring hole, which holds the spring in place. I have it at around 1lb now. I can live with that, and as I have said, the accutrigger is a safer trigger due to the safety blade. I too treat it as a two-stage.

Basic Member
    Well I was able to shoot a decent sub-moa group with Federal 100gr Soft Point factory ammo. Not too shabby for $17 a box but I feel like I want a bit more pull on the trigger. It feels like it is too light for me and might be close to 2#'s so I will do some more tinkering with it and may buy a trigger gauge.
    I had never shot a 2 Stage trigger until I bought a Vanguard S2. I really dislike that trigger so that rifle will go bye-bye.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    I had never shot a 2 Stage trigger until I bought a Vanguard S2. I really dislike that trigger so that rifle will go bye-bye.
    Have you considered a replacement trigger?

https://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/...gers&model=498

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    Have you considered a replacement trigger?

https://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/...gers&model=498
    I had thought about it then I saw the Axis and decided to get it and sell the Weatherby. The Axis actually outshoots it. I also have an early 50's Model 70 Featherweight in the same caliber too but I don't hunt with it.

Rifle Basix makes a great trigger. I like their overtravel adjustment better than Timney's, giving it an overall tighter feel. When I do shim jobs on my Axis triggers, I always make sure to put in an overtravel adjustment screw.

Basic Member
    I bought a Wheeler trigger gauge and the trigger tested at 1 pound 3oz. I now need to adjust it up to about 3 pounds.

lwakefie
    Sir, is this the SAV-1 trigger by Rifle Basix?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lwakefie View Post
    Sir, is this the SAV-1 trigger by Rifle Basix?
    Yes. http://www.eabco.net/Rifle-Basix-Tri...s_p_13485.html