Thread: Help! Pro Varmint doesn't fit

Basic Member

Help! Pro Varmint doesn't fit

I have an older 110 staggered feed blind mag, so I ordered the Boyds Pro Varmint staggered feed blind mag stock. But, the stock doesn't fit as the magazine channel is too narrow to fit the hardware on the side of the magazine. I don't know during what time period Savage made the DBM (side release) and blind mag actions with the same hardware, but my 110 apparently dates from that era. The action screw spacing is correct. Boyds told me that I ordered the correct stock based on the measurements but that I'm SOL and need to take it to a gunsmith to see if they can make my action fit. I'm ... not happy with that response. Has anyone encountered this situation? Can I remove the hardware? Do I need a different stock? Any thoughts on my options? Thanks.

Just remove the out side hard ware and then take bottom of magazine off, a slap and a flat blade screw driver work well.
    Then put the mag assembly, minus the bottom into the stock, put action on making sure all line up and go shoot and enjoy.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

If this is the stock you ordered: http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Produc...-texture-paint then some light wood removal might be necessary. Notice the disclaimer at the bottom of the link stating that the stock is inletted to their house action, which may have different measurements than yours. If you still can't make it work, the frog has given you the best option to at least make it shootable.
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 04-26-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    If this is the stock you ordered: http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Produc...-texture-paint then some light wood removal might be necessary. Notice the disclaimer at the bottom of the link stating that the stock is inletted to their house action, which may have different measurements than yours. If you still can't make it work, the frog has given you the best option to at least make it shootable.
    That is not the one. My rifle has a blind mag despite the hardware, so I ordered this one: https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindA...on=06&Shape=1G

My concern is that it looks like quite a bit of material needs to be removed. It seems like a lot more than just some fitting.

To do it correctly, you need to find a standard stagger-feed magazine and it'll drop right in. The standard magazine fits into the slots in the action that your current magazine uses, and without the extra embellishments on the side of the box, you'll have plenty of clearance. The part you need is no longer available from Savage Customer Service, so it's eBay or the classifieds.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Notpu,

Did you already order the replacement "bottom metal" for the Laminate stock? If not, I would recommend ordering from savage, the pieces that WILL fit.

Notpu I'll stick with what I said REMOVE THE HARDWARE put action in gun go shoot.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    Just remove the out side hard ware and then take bottom of magazine off, a slap and a flat blade screw driver work well.
    Then put the mag assembly, minus the bottom into the stock, put action on making sure all line up and go shoot and enjoy.
    Correct Info

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    Notpu,

Did you already order the replacement "bottom metal" for the Laminate stock? If not, I would recommend ordering from savage, the pieces that WILL fit.
    Incorrect info - What bottom metal? There is no separate bottom metal for the old-style staggered feed DBM's that used the side push-button release.

Notpu I'll stick with what I said REMOVE THE HARDWARE put action in gun go shoot.
    Still correct.

What you have is old staggered feed DBM rifle that someone previously put into a blind magazine stock. The spring and release button hardware on the outside of the housing can be removed to thin it up, but you may still have to dremel out a little material to get the stock to fit in the Boyds stock. The other option would be to find a blind magazine housing (your follower should still work) to replace what you have, but depending on what cartridges you need it for they can sometimes be hard to find these days.

This FAQ article on the main page has some photo's and additional info.

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...gazine-Systems

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Correct Info
    Thanks for your help. There is no bottom of the magazine. My understanding was that blind mags and detachable mags used the same hardware, with blind mags having the metal plate attached to the outside of the stock via the action screws. There is a separate, smaller guide that keeps the spring centered. Since there is no bottom of the magazine, do I simply need to remove the hardware and then I can drop the action into the new stock? Is the removal of the hardware permanent? I'm just not sure the best way to remove the hardware. Will the magazine box stay connected to the action without the hardware, or will the action simply rest on the magazine box, with the stock on one side and the action on the other side holding everything together? I don't mind removing some material from the stock, but it would currently take removing a lot! Since the old stock cracked through this thin area, I'd rather not take away any more material than necessary.

I really appreciate everyone's help!

Edit: I obviously have no idea how to use the formatting on this forum; thanks for your patience and help.

What you are describing above was a fix for a failed hinged floorplate system Savage developed back in the 1960's. The latch for the floorplate would open and dump the contents of the magazine on the ground every time you fired a shot, so the few that actually made it out to customers were recalled. This left Savage with a whole bunch of stocks with holes in them for the hinged floorplate hardware, so they made up a flat metal bottom plate to cover the hole and a polymer spacer plate to keep the magazine follower spring centered so they could use those stocks on blind magazine models.

Later, for whatever reason, they ran out of standard blind magazine housings - likely due to a Q/C issue from an outside supplier, so they used the detachable box magazine housings in their place. When this was done, they basically removed the bottom plate for the detachable magazine and inserted it into the DBM housing to create the blind mag.

In other words, what you have is somewhat of a bastard.

You never stated what cartridge your rifle is chambered for. Chances are someone here on the site has a proper housing they'd be willing to sell you so you wouldn't have to open up the stock. Might also be able to find one at Numrich's Gun Parts.
    Last edited by J.Baker; 04-26-2017 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Apology for terrible quote formatting

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by notpu View Post
    Thanks for your help. There is no bottom of the magazine. My understanding was that blind mags and detachable mags used the same hardware, with blind mags having the metal plate attached to the outside of the stock via the action screws. There is a separate, smaller guide that keeps the spring centered. Since there is no bottom of the magazine, do I simply need to remove the hardware and then I can drop the action into the new stock? Is the removal of the hardware permanent? I'm just not sure the best way to remove the hardware. Will the magazine box stay connected to the action without the hardware, or will the action simply rest on the magazine box, with the stock on one side and the action on the other side holding everything together? I don't mind removing some material from the stock, but it would currently take removing a lot! Since the old stock cracked through this thin area, I'd rather not take away any more material than necessary.

I really appreciate everyone's help!

Edit: I obviously have no idea how to use the formatting on this forum; thanks for your patience and help.

What you are describing above was a fix for a failed hinged floorplate system Savage developed back in the 1960's. The latch for the floorplate would open and dump the contents of the magazine on the ground every time you fired a shot, so the few that actually made it out to customers were recalled. This left Savage with a whole bunch of stocks with holes in them for the hinged floorplate hardware, so they made up a flat metal bottom plate to cover the hole and a polymer spacer plate to keep the magazine follower spring centered so they could use those stocks on blind magazine models.

Later, for whatever reason, they ran out of standard blind magazine housings - likely due to a Q/C issue from an outside supplier, so they used the detachable box magazine housings in their place. When this was done, they basically removed the bottom plate for the detachable magazine and inserted it into the DBM housing to create the blind mag.

In other words, what you have is somewhat of a bastard.

You never stated what cartridge your rifle is chambered for. Chances are someone here on the site has a proper housing they'd be willing to sell you so you wouldn't have to open up the stock. Might also be able to find one at Numrich's Gun Parts.
    That's a really interesting history! It's chambered in .270 but I plan to rebarrel it (maybe to 6.5 x55?). I picked up the rifle as a cheap donor action and hunting rifle for the time being. The project has become more complicated than expected, and I really appreciate your help.

Hopefully a visual will help clear things up for you. Pay no attention to the Model number or series letter on the schematic, it doesn't matter in this case.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...674.htm?page=4

What you have currently is mostly what's in the box on the right side for the detachable mag setup, only your #79 doesn't have the bottom on it like a normal detachable magazine box would have.

What you need is #52 which basically replaces all those parts in that box to the right. You will reuse your existing spring and follower.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Hopefully a visual will help clear things up for you. Pay no attention to the Model number or series letter on the schematic, it doesn't matter in this case.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...674.htm?page=4

What you have currently is mostly what's in the box on the right side for the detachable mag setup, only your #79 doesn't have the bottom on it like a normal detachable magazine box would have.

What you need is #52 which basically replaces all those parts in that box to the right. You will reuse your existing spring and follower.
    Thanks! I ordered this last night. Hopefully the stock will fit after swapping out the magazine.