Thread: Axis II scope rails faulty? Scope fell off.

wolfzr2

Angry Axis II scope rails faulty? Scope fell off.

Finally got a chance to shoot my new Axis II .243 this weekend. Ran about 15 rounds through it, trying to sight in the Weaver 3x9x40 scope that came with it. On the 16th shot, the scope just drops to the floor of the range.

Long story short, after I get home and have time to try and figure out what the heck happened, I see this:

The egde of the rail is flat, so the ring cannot fit under the lip like it should. I ordered a Weaver one piece rail, and that fits like a glove, and the rings are secure as they should be. Should Savage be held responsible for any damage to the scope from this? Glass looks fine, I just wonder about the ability to hold zero now.

Am I missing something, or are those bases just THAT bad that came on the rifle from the factory?

That is one funky looking rail and mounts.... I've never seen a mount that clamps onto the rail from the bottom. The usually clamp on from the top.

wolfzr2
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    That is one funky looking rail and mounts.... I've never seen a mount that clamps onto the rail from the bottom. The usually clamp on from the top.
    I was holding the scope upside down just to get the pic.

I agree with you that something is not right there.... Personally, I scrapped the mounts, rings, and scope off my 11/111 trophy hunter and put on all new hardware along with a "good" scope.

Basic Member
    I recall other reports where the mounts are too rounded, so the rings wouldn't grab.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I agree with you that something is not right there.... Personally, I scrapped the mounts, rings, and scope off my 11/111 trophy hunter and put on all new hardware along with a "good" scope.
    Like sagerat, I dont use the factory mounts too much. The mounts, rings, and scope are barely passable for serious shooting. They work for what most people buy them for, the occasional hunt and range plinking.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mount on the B22 FV is flat on the side as well. had a heck of a time spreading the leg on my Sig Zee rings wide enough to slide over it. Measured it and it's only 0.001" narrower than than the other Weaver basses I have here so it really creates a problem as most rings are machined for a point, not a flat. Seems to be holding ok on the B22 so far, but the bases definitely aren't right. Clearly Savage has changed their source for bases as these are totally different than the cheap aluminum ones that I'm used to seeing from the factory.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01263.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	3045

Basic Member
    Those look much rounder than they ones they put on my Axis when I sent it back to have one of the scope holes cleaned up. I have no idea why they even went through the expense to put them on since it didn't come with any from the factory.
    Anyway I took them off as I already had Talley one piece rings/bases for it. You can have them if you want.

My Axis in 30-06 came with the same factory mount and rings and a cheap Bushnell scope. I took it out to shoot and on the first shot the cross hairs dropped. Sent the scope back to Bushnell, they replaced it and gave me a 10% coupon. Bought a Tasco 3-9x40 but I couldn't adjust the eye relief enough with the factory rails, so I bought a Weaver one piece and fixed the problem. Bushnell replaced the scope and I put it on my grandsons Cricket.

Basic Member
    Talley 1 piece mounts for the win...I personally can't stand the whole hodgepodge of weaver parts.

Basic Member
    I just toss any mount that comes with a rifle out of the box. I prefer to select the type and quality of mount myself.

I'm not sure what people expect from a mount that is probably shipped to the factory, bulk, in a large cardboard drum.

The Pic looked like something I would have expected from NcStar.

Basic Member
    The problem is not the base.....it's the rings.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

wolfzr2
    Wow...I opened a support case with Savage. Told them about the issue, attached the same picture. I also told them I had already replaced the base with a one piece, but I was concerned about the scope after it had fallen on concrete due to their crappy bases/rings.

They offered to send me a new base only. When I replied that I had already swapped out the base but I was still concerned about the scope, they closed the ticket and replied to me with one word. "close".

Great customer service.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfzr2 View Post
    Wow...I opened a support case with Savage. Told them about the issue, attached the same picture. I also told them I had already replaced the base with a one piece, but I was concerned about the scope after it had fallen on concrete due to their crappy bases/rings.

They offered to send me a new base only. When I replied that I had already swapped out the base but I was still concerned about the scope, they closed the ticket and replied to me with one word. "close".

Great customer service.
    While their customer service eventually gets back with you it is not managed at all. In my dealing with them I found them to be untrained and it was painfully obvious the person I worked with did not follow through at all. At the very least there must be some standard procedures implemented over there.
    1. When they receive your rifle they should send you an email that it was received with an estimate of how long before it will be inspected.
    2. Once they actually look at it and make a decision you should get another email.
    3. When the worked is completed and the rifle shipped you should get another email and a tracking number.
    All of that is bare minimum of what should be expected. When I went online and initially completed out a service request I was not contacted so after a few days I had to call them to get the ball rolling. Then they sent me a UPS Label and a couple of days later I sent it to them. After 10 days of nothing I called them and was told they were waiting for a "replacement". So I thought they were going to put in a new receiver instead of re-taping the one bad hole. I sent an email a week later asking for an update. A few more days I send another one asking them to send me a tracking number when it does ship back to me. Three days later I get a tracking number showing it had shipped four days before and would be here the next day.
    When it did get here I opened it up to see what was done. Same receiver but now with bases on it, so they repaired the threads in the one hole and put on bases when it never had bases to begin with. I think they only have one person running the department as far as shipping and receiving goes and while that person may mean well there don't seem to be any procedures at all.
    Off Soapbox.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfzr2 View Post

Great customer service.
    Almost every manufacturer in the World has a phrase in their Warranty that goes like "not responsible for consequential damage". Does kind of suck that they won't take care of the piece they supplied and failed but since the scope hitting the ground fits in the "Consequential Damage" area, that's kind of how it works.

One lesson for others, whenever a manufacturer puts together a package like this, don't expect things to be assembled correctly or using "top shelf" items. At the very least one should take the scope off, check mount screws, fit of the rings, and torque on ring cap screws. In other words, re-assemble and not rely on the work of someone at the factory who's pushed the ear-buds of their MP-3 Player too far into their ears.

Basic Member
    You see this posted a lot on web sights, I think it is common when it comes to package deals !!!!

Basic Member
    Picked up a new Axis 2 xp this morning. Have the same rings. Gonna get some Warne steel rings.

Basic Member
    You should also consider getting a one piece rail, getting the correct eye relief can be a problem with the limitations of adjustment on the two piece stock rails.

Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk