Thread: Accustock recoil lug

Basic Member

Accustock recoil lug

Hi everyone,

So I am contemplating swapping out my accustock for a Choate. Doing some research I learned that the Savage 10 rifles in the accustock have a different recoil lug. When comparing the accustock lug with a regular Savage 10 lug I have to ask...

Which is better? I mean, is there an advantage to having a larger recoil lug? Thinking about it the larger lug also translated to more leverage... it also translates to a larger surface area to diffuse the force.

If I put the rifle into a non-accustock, should I swap out the recoil lug or simple bed the existing into the new stock?

what are your thoughts?

Cheers!

Mountain Man
    I ended up using epoxy in my choate with sizing wax on the stock lug to mold it in. Works pretty well (better than half MOA on good days-260R). I'm sure someone else's experience will say a heavier lug is better, and it may very well be, but I'm happy with 3/4" groups at 200yds.

You aren't from kootenai, Idaho are you?

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Originally from the other side of the border, East Kootenay's in British Columbia, but am now in NY. Miss it every day...

thanks for posting, I was starting to wonder if it was a crazy idea of doing that.

Which area are you in Mountain man? I'm in North central ida currently, but I'm originally from the Panhandle.

personally I think that the standard recoil lug is better. Although my accustocked
    savage sure does shoot.

Mountain Man
    Currently in Old Town right on the WA border, lived just north of Sandpoint for a few years before that.

It's probably a lot easier to find a long, clear, flat spot down there!

There are some places to stretch distances down this way. No dedicated ranges though.

The difference in the recoil lugs is the length - how far they go down into the stock. The AccuStock can get away with a shorter lug because it's butting up against an aluminum skeleton. The standard lug (in factory stocks) is butting up against softer wood or plastic so the additional surface area is needed to disperse the energy w/o damaging those substrates.

For what it's worth, I've seen a few of the longer standard factory lugs from mid-size magnums (.300 WSM, .300 WM, .338 WM) that were bent from recoil. I've also see one of the factory lugs from a .338 Lapua Mag that was bent from recoil. The way I see it, spending the $30 or so for a quality aftermarket lug is just cheap insurance if you're shooting high energy cartridges.

Mountain Man
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    The difference in the recoil lugs is the length - how far they go down into the stock. The AccuStock can get away with a shorter lug because it's butting up against an aluminum skeleton. The standard lug (in factory stocks) is butting up against softer wood or plastic so the additional surface area is needed to disperse the energy w/o damaging those substrates.

For what it's worth, I've seen a few of the longer standard factory lugs from mid-size magnums (.300 WSM, .300 WM, .338 WM) that were bent from recoil. I've also see one of the factory lugs from a .338 Lapua Mag that was bent from recoil. The way I see it, spending the $30 or so for a quality aftermarket lug is just cheap insurance if you're shooting high energy cartridges.
    I think he was referring to the aftermarket ones that are thicker than stock.

treeworkplus
    I'm changing an older "tupperware" stock to an Accustock and I'm in the market for a take-off Accustock recoil lug. If your interested in off-setting the cost of the new correct lug, please send me a PM. Thanks!

Which is better? I mean, is there an advantage to having a larger recoil lug? Thinking about it the larger lug also translated to more leverage... it also translates to a larger surface area to diffuse the force.

If I put the rifle into a non-accustock, should I swap out the recoil lug or simple bed the existing into the new stock?

what are your thoughts?
    The factory recoil lugs are stamped and are a week link in the assembly. A "prepped" action face and barrel nut with a surface ground aftermarket recoil lug is a no brainer. If you have the ability to do the install you really should make the change.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    The factory recoil lugs are stamped and are a week link in the assembly. A "prepped" action face and barrel nut with a surface ground aftermarket recoil lug is a no brainer. If you have the ability to do the install you really should make the change.
    It's my opinion that the surface ground feature is more important than just thicker, not to say a thick, surface ground lug wouldn't be an advantage.

In my rifles, any load that might bend the recoil lug is a load I don't want to shoot. My chassis systems hold the lug nice and square against the aluminum body so they'd more likely than not shear rather than bend. Wood stocks or stocks without metal action blocks are another issue altogether.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by treeworkplus View Post
    I'm changing an older "tupperware" stock to an Accustock and I'm in the market for a take-off Accustock recoil lug. If your interested in off-setting the cost of the new correct lug, please send me a PM. Thanks!
    PM sent