Thread: Is this common with all Scout Rifles? (Misaligned Barrel/Reciever or Mis-tapped Scope Mounts)

Desolationism

Is this common with all Scout Rifles? (Misaligned Barrel/Reciever or Mis-tapped Scope Mounts)

I purchased an OD Green .308 Scout 11 in February of '17. I was so excited to finally own a scout rifle as I had been hunting with my grandfather's WWII (not his issued rifle) 1903A3 Springfield 30-06 that weighs a ton! I went to the dealer, bought the gun and all of the trimmings, only to get it home to find out I can not shoot it. Here is where my nightmare began.

As I sight down the barrel of the gun this is what I see...... HOW DID I MISS THIS AT THE GUN SHOP!?

(After removing the rail, it appears as though the barrel was not seated properly in the reciever, misaligning the rail mounting holes and the front iron sight, it's hard to tell but the iron sight is rolled to the right as well.)

I proceed to return the gun to the dealer the next day, with a letter explaining my problem, so the dealer can send it back to Savage for me. I figure, this has to be a freak accident, they will make it right. To my surprise, I got the rifle back 1 week before they estimated; for a total of 3 weeks gone (1 week shipping there, 1 week in their possession and 1 week back). The gun dealer calls and says I need to fill out a new FFL form and pay the $10 fee again, because this is a whole new barrel and receiver assembly, therefore a whole different gun (except the OD stock which isn't manufactured anymore).

I get to the dealer, and really have no choice but to buy this second gun because all sales are final and guess what? SAME EXACT PROBLEM! Not as bad, but still there. The original rail was so bad that I couldn't even get it to zero on windage, this is better, but I am still at -5 MOA out of a total of -7 on my Vortex Scope. I can still see with my naked eye that the scope is angled in the same direction as the first rifle. For a company that harps on their ability to create a precision rifle, this is pretty piss poor.

How can their Quality Control be so negligent that a customer's replacement rifle is sent back with the exact same issue?

I am truly blown away, I will not be able to take my rifle on my spring trip because there is no way I can get it back in time(After purchasing it nearly 3 months in advance). I had heard great things about savage rifles and was ultimately drawn to their scout over the Ruger, but if this is any indicator, I might as well sell this thing and rid myself of the hassle.

Please, someone instill some faith in me. I have already called and spoken with CS at Savage and they have issued another call tag, this time I will ship it myself. If anyone has a contact that has some pull, a reference would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help

Just from what I am seeing it looks like a screwed up scope base. (pretty sure it's an EGW) It looks like the holes were not centered on the base with there being a lot more "meat" on the right side than the left giving the whole picture a cattywumpus look. Hard to tell from just the pic but it appears that the sights and the receiver holes line up just not the base.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Cyber
    I agree with jeep. That screw is centered on the barrel based on the pic but not centered on the mount.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Desolationism
    So, after getting it back in my hands, I was able to take a few more pictures to outline this issue. See the following images:

The Rail is Dead on Perfect

Its very hard to capture on camera, but the front hole is definitely off to the right.

Added some guide lines to kind of illustrate the issue

Looking down the peep you can see the iron sight isn't perpendicular to the rail.

Its either that the barrel was not mated correctly, or the holes were not drilled properly AND the front sight is off in the same direction(which is tinned on). Like I said, this is not the first rifle I received from them in this condition, this one is actually a little better than the last(the first rifle I purchased is the image in the original post).

This is a huge deal IMHO, this is way too obvious to be missed twice in QC, I feel like someone isn't doing their job.

Took two more photos, these really illustrate what I am seeing. The first has the two rear Bolt Holes Vertical (You can see how the third is off to the right and the Iron Sight is angled slightly as well). The second photo is with the iron sight and the third hole vertical, the two rear holes are off to the left.

I have stated before, and will again, I believe that there's not an actual QC department any longer. I think they let the customer tell them when things aren't up to snuff. Kinda hard to tell exactly in the pics, but yes it does appear to be somewhat canted. I sent a rifle back that had a bad receiver, the replacement I recieved the barrel isn't centered in the stock(accustock) bbl/ receiver appear to be aligned on my rifle but the stock is almost touching on one side. The rifle still shoots sub moa, and is an honest .5 inch shooter. Guess I just decided to live with it, although the perfectionist in me abhors the way it looks.

Ordered a .243 from savage for my daughter, it won't eject brass to save its life, the spring in the ejector is lethargic at best. I still need to call CS and get that lined out. This rifle shoots ok, although I haven't tried but a couple types of ammo.

I sent a 700 back to Remington not long ago, got it back today...I will say thank god it shoots straight now. Under .5 inch at 100. However it still has absolutely no primary extraction and the finish is marred up along the barrel. Not sure I want to send it back to be smacked around some more.

And I guess to answer your question, yes it is crap that twice in a row you got hosed, no it isn't common, and I believe that savage will get it right in the end. You might call CS and explain your dilemma, maybe they can expedite something for you, or reroute inventory. Let them know your hunt dates, maybe they can make something happen.

Cheers

Desolationism
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    And I guess to answer your question, yes it is crap that twice in a row you got hosed, no it isn't common, and I believe that savage will get it right in the end. You might call CS and explain your dilemma, maybe they can expedite something for you, or reroute inventory. Let them know your hunt dates, maybe they can make something happen.

Cheers

Thanks for the insights. I called and spoke with a CS rep today, and once I ship it I will call Savage again, hopefully I can lean on someone there and get it turned around faster. I highly doubt I will get it by the 12th of May when I leave though....... I was hoping maybe a CS rep just might​ be lingering around here, and would catch on to this.

There might be some? Not sure, I think all of my 'contacts' at savage are now mostly gone, at least anyone that had any real authority.

I would try try calling first thing Monday morning. Hope they get you taken care of, nothing like spending hard earned dollars and then getting a bum product...twice... let us know how things turn out and stick around the forum!

Basic Member
    Used to be they were cheap so one didn't expect perfection. Now they are basically the same price as everyone else.

Trying to gauge alignment and straightness from photo's is impossible as you've got a 1/million chance of the camera actually being perfectly in line with the thing you're trying to show in the photo.

Desolationism
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Trying to gauge alignment and straightness from photo's is impossible as you've got a 1/million chance of the camera actually being perfectly in line with the thing you're trying to show in the photo.
    I completely understand this. Working in a manufacturing setting, I've run into this exact problem. I know what I see though, I can see it's off.

Basic Member
    A couple of things to do before sending it back. I would throw a loop of fishing line over the front sight and stretch it back to the center of the rear most scope mount hole and take a good pic of the misalignment of the holes. Then I would mount the rifle in a gun vice and level it at the rear tang. Then put a level on the front sight and shoot another pic.

Include those pics with a complete write up of defects and PUT IT IN THE BOX so the gunsmith (if they still employ any) will know exactly how to go about repairing it.

You might also consider just shooting it as is, become familiar with it now, and take it on your trip. Then afterwards, return it for repairs. That's what I would do. Familiarity with the gun is most important. Even a bent barrel will shoot consistently and hit what your aiming for, as long as you adjust for it.

Good luck and let us know how you do!
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Desolationism View Post
    I completely understand this. Working in a manufacturing setting, I've run into this exact problem. I know what I see though, I can see it's off.
    I wasn't referring to what you were seeing, rather what these guys are seeing and commenting on. A lot of people don't look at a photo and take the camera position/perspective into consideration.

Desolationism
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    A couple of things to do before sending it back. I would throw a loop of fishing line over the front sight and stretch it back to the center of the rear most scope mount hole and take a good pic of the misalignment of the holes. Then I would mount the rifle in a gun vice and level it at the rear tang. Then put a level on the front sight and shoot another pic.

Include those pics with a complete write up of defects and PUT IT IN THE BOX so the gunsmith (if they still employ any) will know exactly how to go about repairing it.

You might also consider just shooting it as is, become familiar with it now, and take it on your trip. Then afterwards, return it for repairs. That's what I would do. Familiarity with the gun is most important. Even a bent barrel will shoot consistently and hit what your aiming for, as long as you adjust for it.

Good luck and let us know how you do!
    Great idea with the fishing line. That would be a perfect indicator. I like your idea of taking it out. I mean it will bore sight zero at 100 yards so I think I can at least get it on paper. I am just a perfectionist. I don't know a lot about gunsmithing, so the barrel being slightly out worries me. It's so far out that I have to adjust my sight and angle my head cockeyed to the gun to get a clear sight picture, I just don't want to get used to it only to have it change again....... Maybe I am being too critical. Any reason specifically to shoot it? I guess make sure its grouping well, but that could all change if I get yet another replacement..... What do you think?

Basic Member
    All I was saying is that you're under a time constraint what with your scheduled trip, and experience with the gun you're going to use is important. If you get your gun back two days before leaving, how confident will you be in your shot placement when you're about to pull the trigger on a game animal?

You've got a year to return it, so theres no rush.

Just saying...
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Desolationism
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    All I was saying is that you're under a time constraint what with your scheduled trip, and experience with the gun you're going to use is important. If you get your gun back two days before leaving, how confident will you be in your shot placement when you're about to pull the trigger on a game animal?

You've got a year to return it, so theres no rush.

Just saying...
    I hear ya, we're actually just camp9ng but g9ing to be putting a lot of rounds down range if I have it. I just want to get comfortable before fall. I don't have any hunts until August, but I have a super busy schedule and don't get much time to get out of town to shoot long range.

I see your point here. I think I'm just being impatient. I will just have to make time this summer to get to the range. I'd much rather just send it back and get it right. I will definitely take it back out of the box to do your recommended documentation though. And I will be sure to follow up with my experience with CS and the rifle!

I am happy to be a new part of the community, seems like you guys are pretty tight knit here. Thanks again for the help guys. I will update once I hear from Savage.

Basic Member
    If the barrel is straight, it looks like all they need to do is loosen the barrel nut, degree the barrel properly and tighten the the barrel nut up again... and check headspace, though it looks like they would be closing the barrel 1-2 degrees making the headspace tighter.

... but I agree, this looks so simple.... how did it get past QC!

Knowing how these guns are made and the order of operations, I would say the barreled action wasn't properly squared up in the fixture when they drilled the barrel for the sight and front rail screw. Those holes are drilled after the barrel has been installed to the action as that's the only way to ensure the holes would be properly indexed.

My guess is this was a Monday Morning or just before quitting time on Friday gun.