Hi guys, having some issues with my father in law's Savage Axis II in 22-250. Got the gun last fall and zeroed it at 100 yards with 45 gr Winchester ammo (sold in a box of 40). Killed probably 10 groundhogs with it longest being 160 yards. Around the time he got that I bought a Savage 12 FCV in 204. Right off the bat I noticed the trigger pull between the two was dramatically different. I'd have to say mine is around 2 pounds while his was around 4 or 5. I adjusted the accu-trigger in his to its lowest setting. I torqued both action screws to 35 in-lb during reassembly. As a side note, even at the lowest setting it still isn't as light as my model 12's which I found odd because they have the same trigger don't they?

This spring I decided to zero the rifle at 200 yards and here is where my frustration starts. Both times I've gone out my groups look more like shotgun patterns (4+ inch at 200 yards). The first time I went out it was moderately windy so I chalked it up to the wind. Then tonight I went out again, calm night and same thing happened. I have a few culprits in mind but wanted to get your opinions.

1. The barrel is not centered in the stock, the stock touches the barrel the last two inches on the right side. I'm thinking this could be why I'm seeing horizontal stringing. I plan on taking the stock off and sanding the right side so the barrel is free floating.

2. As I'm squeezing the trigger I notice that the gun's POA moves down an 1-1.5". Because of this I find myself having to adjust the gun as I'm squeezing so that the crosshairs are on the bullseye when the gun goes off. I kind of noticed this when shooting at 100 yards but it is a lot more noticeable now that I'm at 200 yards, obviously. Could this be caused by the flimsy [beeep] stock as well?

3. My action screws are torqued wrong, putting the action in a bind?

4. The gun just doesn't like this ammo?

I should mention I'm shooting from a bipod and using a protektor rear bag. I've also checked and double checked that mounts and rings are tight.

From what I've seen and read this gun should be capable of MOA accuracy. Maybe I'm just spoiled from my 204's 1/2-3/4 MOA accuracy.