Thread: Savage Axis II accuracy issues

groundhogsniper

Savage Axis II accuracy issues

Hi guys, having some issues with my father in law's Savage Axis II in 22-250. Got the gun last fall and zeroed it at 100 yards with 45 gr Winchester ammo (sold in a box of 40). Killed probably 10 groundhogs with it longest being 160 yards. Around the time he got that I bought a Savage 12 FCV in 204. Right off the bat I noticed the trigger pull between the two was dramatically different. I'd have to say mine is around 2 pounds while his was around 4 or 5. I adjusted the accu-trigger in his to its lowest setting. I torqued both action screws to 35 in-lb during reassembly. As a side note, even at the lowest setting it still isn't as light as my model 12's which I found odd because they have the same trigger don't they?

This spring I decided to zero the rifle at 200 yards and here is where my frustration starts. Both times I've gone out my groups look more like shotgun patterns (4+ inch at 200 yards). The first time I went out it was moderately windy so I chalked it up to the wind. Then tonight I went out again, calm night and same thing happened. I have a few culprits in mind but wanted to get your opinions.

1. The barrel is not centered in the stock, the stock touches the barrel the last two inches on the right side. I'm thinking this could be why I'm seeing horizontal stringing. I plan on taking the stock off and sanding the right side so the barrel is free floating.

2. As I'm squeezing the trigger I notice that the gun's POA moves down an 1-1.5". Because of this I find myself having to adjust the gun as I'm squeezing so that the crosshairs are on the bullseye when the gun goes off. I kind of noticed this when shooting at 100 yards but it is a lot more noticeable now that I'm at 200 yards, obviously. Could this be caused by the flimsy [beeep] stock as well?

3. My action screws are torqued wrong, putting the action in a bind?

4. The gun just doesn't like this ammo?

I should mention I'm shooting from a bipod and using a protektor rear bag. I've also checked and double checked that mounts and rings are tight.

From what I've seen and read this gun should be capable of MOA accuracy. Maybe I'm just spoiled from my 204's 1/2-3/4 MOA accuracy.

Basic Member
    It is primarily the stock. Axis are great guns, except for the stock.

It flexes in the wrist area. It flexes in the forend. You can see how it moves just pulling the trigger, imagine the forces on it when it shoots.

Shooting it off a bipod makes the flimsy stock twist differently every time and jump. A bipod is so stiff that the forend moves severely under recoil. If the bipod is on a hard surface, try putting it on a pad, carpet, or cushion to shoot. That can affect point of impact.

When you touch off the shot, the stock needs to hold and cradle the action perfectly still until the bullet leaves the barrel. Most find that accuracy improves if you shoot it off bags, but move the bags just in front of the trigger.

The general answer is to put it in a Boyd's laminate stock and you could have sub-moa accuracy. It will likely settle into about MOA with a better stock, maybe even better.

Seriously, do a search for "axis" and "Boyd's" and you will see...

Also, there is a tutorial on stiffening the Axis stock, but from experience, it really isn't worth it...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The FV is twice the gun the Axis or Axis II is.... You're on the right track I'd say. Most likely is the POS stock (plastic injection mold). I always recommend getting rid of the original stock and going with a Boyd's Laminate at the very least. Especially if you're using a bipod.

The Bipod will cause the stock to flex, which brings in barrel contact. I use a front bag for mine, and before I put a new stock on it, I had to have the gun pushed all the way forward to the trigger guard pretty much, as the stock would touch the barrel if I didn't. The other thing is: action screws should be 60-65 inch pounds at the least.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    The FV is twice the gun the Axis or Axis II is.... You're on the right track I'd say. Most likely is the POS stock (plastic injection mold). I always recommend getting rid of the original stock and going with a Boyd's Laminate at the very least. Especially if you're using a bipod.

The Bipod will cause the stock to flex, which brings in barrel contact. I use a front bag for mine, and before I put a new stock on it, I had to have the gun pushed all the way forward to the trigger guard pretty much, as the stock would touch the barrel if I didn't. The other thing is: action screws should be 60-65 inch pounds at the least.
    Do a search of Sagerats posts, and you'll increase your knowledge of Axis to make an informed decision. he has been there and done that...

He is wrong on one point, I think your .204 is at least 3x better than the Axis... If it were me, I would save the money for a 12FV in .22 250 to shoot g-hogs, rather than do more to the Axis. Sell the Axis, and put the money with the stock money and buy a 12FV, especially on sale.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hereinaz View Post
    Do a search of Sagerats posts, and you'll increase your knowledge of Axis to make an informed decision. he has been there and done that...

He is wrong on one point, I think your .204 is at least 3x better than the Axis... If it were me, I would save the money for a 12FV in .22 250 to shoot g-hogs, rather than do more to the Axis. Sell the Axis, and put the money with the stock money and buy a 12FV, especially on sale.Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Amen brother!! I unfortunately had to stick with the axis as I am a lefty shooter. I was also so far into it ($ wise) that I HAD to keep going down the rabbit hole as I would have never gotten even 1/2 of my money back if I sold it. That also would have put me back in the "start over" boat, but would have to buy the 11/111 at an extra $300 starting base price. I would have gone with the FV if they would have made it in a LH bolt.

I did learn my lesson, and went with the 11/111 action for my 260 build... :)

The triggers are not the same, the model 12 has a varmint accutrigger and the axis 2 has a standard accutrigger, with the difference being the springs. varmint accutrigger springs are available.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

groundhogsniper
    Well I modified the stock so the barrel is free-floated, I also installed a varmint trigger spring. I will go out soon to test again with the 45 gr ammo. I bought 55 gr federal ammo as well, hopefully I can get this thing to shoot.

Another question, it was brought up that the action screw torque should be 60-65 inlb, is that for both screws?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by groundhogsniper View Post
    Another question, it was brought up that the action screw torque should be 60-65 inlb, is that for both screws?
    60-65 inch/lbs sounds a little high for a plastic stock like on the Axis. I just tighten the action screws on my Axis by feel. I do torque other action screws on other stocks that high, but not that one. I recently purchased a 12FV 22-250 and have not shot it yet. BUT, I paid virtually the same price as I did for my Axis .223. I was like, "Wow, this is so much nicer of a gun compared to my Axis." My Axis is threaded though, lighter and much handier as a carry-around gun, but the 12FV is just so much more bang for the buck. I even like the plastic stock it is in, and I thought I would not. Of course, it may shoot like crap. I have not shot it yet.

All that being said, my Axis shoots pretty darn good. I have added a Rifle Basix trigger to it and stiffened the stock.

According to the manufacturers website even the aluminum bedding block in the Accustock only takes a recommended 40 Inch/Lbs and standard synthetics go to 35.
    https://savagearms.zendesk.com/hc/en...action-screws-
    I'd save torque that high for aftermarket or factory aftermarket offerings where the manufacturer recommends it.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.