Size:	327.7 KB 
ID:	2984

New pictures with targets;
    Criterion full bull 308 Win. 1: 13 twist
    McMillan Edge LV BR. stock
    using Sierra 125gr. SMK
    IMR 4895

All targets where 5 shot @ 100 yards

This rifle was totally redone after the last posting about it. It is a new replacement barrel from Criterion ( thanks Josh ) action was T & T with new trigger by SSS ( trigger 3 oz. ) stock made for it by McMillan ( 4.5 month wait). and then about 4 weeks of playing with loads and seating depth. Will probably only use for 200 yard BR score.
    Last edited by rjtfroggy; 04-19-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Nice looking rifle ya got there Froggy!

Thanks Jim, if you remember this has been a long time in finishing. It started with a 1:10 twist that could not hold a group with any bullet from 110 gr. - 150 gr. at 100 yards. Notified Criterion and they replaced with this 1:13 twist. While I was waiting I spun on a Douglas 1:10 and after 80 rounds decided to rebuild the whole thing. I sent the action to Fred, called and ordered the McMillan and then waited and waited.
    While waiting I took the VLP laminate thumbhole and reconfigured it to better fit the rest for short range BR, it helped but was still too heavy.
    I also bought a new Farley rest and that took a little time to get used to. New rest, new 3 oz. trigger and new barrel and as of now it is holding between 0.230 & 0.313 if with a few more rounds down range at 200 yards it still performs like this I will have accomplished what I set out to do.
    I could have done it cheaper buying a custom rifle (used ) but then I would not have been the builder just the shooter. I still believe a Savage action properly built can and will compete with all the others.
    FROGGY

No reason a Savage can't compete. Everyone has this crazy idea that you need a high dollar custom action to shoot benchrest. The action is nothing more than the ignition device - that's it. With a little work to the action as you have done (T&T and trigger) it won't give up anything to a BAT or Panda or any other custom action out there. All the important stuff in terms of accuracy (the barrel, a stock that rides the bags well, the rest & bags, the scope, etc) are pretty much the same for everyone up and down the line.

The key factor is the shooter and his/her confidence in their equipment. If you go into it thinking you can't compete with a Savage you're doomed from the get-go. And there's the rub - most guys go into it with that mentality because that's what everyone tells them, then they use it as an excuse as to why they aren't doing better and as an excuse to upgrade. Most never give their Savage a fair shake or stick with it long enough to work out any bugs or get proficient with it so they can do better. Like the government, they think they can fix their own deficiencies by just throwing more money at it.

Basic Member
    Although I have not done so, I would imagine that if I showed up at a National competition with a Savage action based rifle, all those guys with high dollar custom rifles will start sweating bullets afraid that they might be outdone by the cheap factory rifle.

And at that point you're already half way to the winners circle without even firing a shot!
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    No reason a Savage can't compete. Everyone has this crazy idea that you need a high dollar custom action to shoot benchrest. The action is nothing more than the ignition device - that's it. With a little work to the action as you have done (T&T and trigger) it won't give up anything to a BAT or Panda or any other custom action out there. All the important stuff in terms of accuracy (the barrel, a stock that rides the bags well, the rest & bags, the scope, etc) are pretty much the same for everyone up and down the line.

The key factor is the shooter and his/her confidence in their equipment. If you go into it thinking you can't compete with a Savage you're doomed from the get-go. And there's the rub - most guys go into it with that mentality because that's what everyone tells them, then they use it as an excuse as to why they aren't doing better and as an excuse to upgrade. Most never give their Savage a fair shake or stick with it long enough to work out any bugs or get proficient with it so they can do better. Like the government, they think they can fix their own deficiencies by just throwing more money at it.
    Obviously you have never shot a slicked up stolle panda

The bolt lift on the savage disturbs the rifle on the bags too much. Pretty much limits you to being a picker not a runner.

To be competitive in short range benchrest these days you pretty much have to shoot in the 1's

Now don't get me wrong. I love my savages. It is the do it yourself part.of it.i love. I know i can plunk down 3 grand and have a gun that shoots in the 1's but where is the challenge in that?

I have one target action that i built the stock for and one i sent to fred for the works. T&T, benchrest trigger, stock and bedding. Still waiting on that one.

Savages shoot great. You just have to accept.their limitations. Here is one guys take.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-...oormanshammer/

M12lrs, I have worked most all of the high end actions at matches and yes they are way more smoother than a Savage even a reworked one they also cost 3-4x more and when on a fixed income it makes a difference.
    I agree that running conditions is difficult with a Savage but it can be done. I'm not a runner though I find ten minute time limit is plenty of time to get through a relay.
    The part about shooting in the .1's helps but a consistent 0.250 gun will be competitive almost every where you will go to shoot.
    Now don't get me wrong I would love to have a custom built rifle and some day I might sell off 5-6 Of my other Savage rifles to finance a project ( wife is always bugging me to do it any way), but for now I'll just be happy with my DIY Savage projects after all being retired gives me lots of time to get frustrated and then work it out, and that is the enjoyable part.
    FROGGY