Thread: 6.5 creedmoor Pet Load?

jr 1968

6.5 creedmoor Pet Load?

Does anyone have a pet load using 120.gr Sierras?

jr 1968.

Basic Member
    reloader 15

Basic Member
    Original 120 AMAX load was 44.5grns of H4350. They switched to a faster powder, Varget, around 40 grns to cut recoil and it dropped velocity some but they slightly faster powder works well with the lighter bullets.

Basic Member
    I'm getting real good accuracy with 37.4g of Reloaded 15 and the Nosler 123 CC. Last time out I finally got my one ragged hole. It took me approximately 75 rounds of load development.

Quote Originally Posted by jr 1968 View Post
    Does anyone have a pet load using 120.gr Sierras?

jr 1968.
    Yes sir! Really nice shooting too, thanks for asking. If you take the time to load for your rifle, see what it does or doesn't like, then you will have one too. Too many people ask for a singular answer as though it existed, or cry some story about "I don't want to spend the time or money to be outside shooting, which is why I bought the rifle supposedly in the first place". Gets annoying pretty quickly...
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    My first load work up with my new Savage model 16 LWH 20" barrel in 6.5 CM is 129gr SST with 41.3gn of IMR4350 with a .020 jump keep a .344 group @ 100yds. I have a box of 143gr ELD-X to work up next with the same powder.

I recently built a 6.5 with a Howa #6 contour barrel, The first bullets I bought to load were Hornaday HPBT Match 140gr.. I couldn't find ANY load info. anywhere so I contacted Hornaday and was told they were getting good results with 43 gr. of Superperformance. I tried that load with Hornaday brass and CCI LR primers loaded to 2.8 col. and was putting cloverleafs together at 250yd.s! I couldn't get my hands on any ELDX bullets for Hunting so now I'm working on a load for Berger Elite Hunter 140gr.. I like the heavier bullet for long distance shooting.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rustypipes12 View Post
    I recently built a 6.5 with a Howa #6 contour barrel, The first bullets I bought to load were Hornaday HPBT Match 140gr.. I couldn't find ANY load info. anywhere so I contacted Hornaday and was told they were getting good results with 43 gr. of Superperformance. I tried that load with Hornaday brass and CCI LR primers loaded to 2.8 col. and was putting cloverleafs together at 250yd.s! I couldn't get my hands on any ELDX bullets for Hunting so now I'm working on a load for Berger Elite Hunter 140gr.. I like the heavier bullet for long distance shooting.
    If you are ever looking again look at the Hodgdon Reloading site. Might not have the exact same bullet but the 140 AMAX data will work with the 140 BTHP.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Yes sir! Really nice shooting too, thanks for asking. If you take the time to load for your rifle, see what it does or doesn't like, then you will have one too. Too many people ask for a singular answer as though it existed, or cry some story about "I don't want to spend the time or money to be outside shooting, which is why I bought the rifle supposedly in the first place". Gets annoying pretty quickly...

LOL, You could just pass the post right on up their Buddy! Wait...no you can't!!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I'm getting to be like the old lady with a house full of cats. I have several "Pet Loads" for my 6.5 C/M. I realized that the most popular powder (H-4350) was disappearing from just about every source so I decided to look at other powders. I now have "Pet Loads" for several powders, some that have been overlooked for a while and some that are relatively new.

It's amazing how easy it becomes to find an excellent load when one follows simple procedures, first understanding what speed range your rifle performs best with using a given bullet weight. Then find a charge weight that puts the bullet in that speed "window", carefully adjusting first the powder, then seating depth.

Most of the fun in "shooting" is, wait for it, ------ Shooting. Some time at the range behind the rifle, pulling the trigger, and gathering data. One more outing on Tuesday to work up a load for the last powder I see potential in and I'm ready to shoot for the next couple years. I figure that I'll have one of the 5 powders available at least some of the time and won't have to rely on just one.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    I'm getting to be like the old lady with a house full of cats. I have several "Pet Loads" for my 6.5 C/M. I realized that the most popular powder (H-4350) was disappearing from just about every source so I decided to look at other powders. I now have "Pet Loads" for several powders, some that have been overlooked for a while and some that are relatively new.

It's amazing how easy it becomes to find an excellent load when one follows simple procedures, first understanding what speed range your rifle performs best with using a given bullet weight. Then find a charge weight that puts the bullet in that speed "window", carefully adjusting first the powder, then seating depth.

Most of the fun in "shooting" is, wait for it, ------ Shooting. Some time at the range behind the rifle, pulling the trigger, and gathering data. One more outing on Tuesday to work up a load for the last powder I see potential in and I'm ready to shoot for the next couple years. I figure that I'll have one of the 5 powders available at least some of the time and won't have to rely on just one.
    +1!
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.