Thread: This rifle's growing on me

Basic Member

This rifle's growing on me

My 170B 35 Remington, is proving to be quite a nice little rifle. I mounted a very nice Bausch &Lomb 1.5x6 scope, and accuracy is really quite something. My reloads are hugging an inch for 3 rounds at 100 yards. Not bad for a converted shotgun design!
    Once I got a few things worked out, her reliability has been 100%. Whew!
    Despite a light barrel, she doesn't vertically string when the barrel warms up. Hard to get a 35 Remington barrel hot. Copper fouling remains extremely light. Barely a trace in fact.
    Fired cases are in terrific shape. 13 firings and hasn't touched the trimmer yet.
    Her trigger is smoothing up a bit, but I may have some work done on it.
    Although I had some reservations about my Savage unicorn, I'm glad I got her. Hopefully , things will continue to improve. Just a matter of getting used to one another.

Basic Member
    hey muddly i have 2 savage 170's, one is a 170B like yours in 35 remington which is really a great rifle and i have an earlier 170 that was originally in 30-30 win. but when ihio allowed us to shoot rifles in certain calibers i had JES reboring change it to a 375 win. and it works great to. whats so cool is i can hunt wva with the 35 and hunt ohi with the 375 but its the same gun.
    SB

Basic Member
    I have a .35 of some flavor on my short list! Already have dies and ammo, just need to find the right one!

Basic Member
    The 375 Winchester is a fine round, but I think I would've gone with the 38-55 and cast bullets. Low recoil, pressures and great accuracy. Being a case with no real taper, like the 410, the 38-55 or 375 should have no feed issues. I think that's why the 35 Remingtons have few issues in the 170. Mine had a hiccup or 2 until I tightened up the shell stop screw. I thought I had it too tight, but it did the trick.
    I like the 35 Remington a lot. Low pressures, accurate, plenty of stomp and not enough difference between cast and jacketed performance to matter. In my experience, any 35 Remington is a god one. Have shot Remington 14's, 141's, 760's , Marlin 336's and now my 170B. All were fine, accurate rifles. Just a matter of taste.