Thread: Athlon optics

Basic Member

Athlon optics

been thinking of a new scope, never owned an Athlon, question i have is i have 2 in mind, the Athlon Midas BTR in 4.5x27 and the new Helos 5x34x56 model, question i have is are these 2 models on par as far as glass quality. or is one a step above the other.

chet

Call Athlon, they will answer ALL of your questions.

I don't have any experience with the Helos or Midas, but I have been pleased with the Argos

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    I don't have any experience with the Helos or Midas, but I have been pleased with the Argos
    How's it track?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Got my hands on a Helos 8-34 X 56 last week. Optics are very comparable to my Vortex HS 6-24X50. Have not had a chance to measure tracking but it's on my list of to do's. It's an FFP
    Tomorrow I'll look at some targets at 300 yds with it and see how if it can resolve clear enough to spot bullet holes.

Incidentally, both Walmart and Optics Planet were advertising this scope for $389 a couple of days ago https://www.walmart.com/ip/Athlon-Op...L-Ret/50030562

I believe this might be a mistake, so act fast if you want one.

Edit with update: I went ahead and ordered one from Walmart. The ad copy says Helos, however the part number (referenced 214066) is indeed for the Argos and Mil reticle. Confusing ad for sure, and will be cancelling the order.

Optics planet has updated its ad and no longer advertises it for 389.00
    Last edited by Texas10; 06-21-2017 at 12:44 PM.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Something is wrong with it.
    That picture is an Argos, not a Helos. The expanded item specifics also refer to it as an Argos.

Quote Originally Posted by Danatkins8605 View Post
    How's it track?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Sorry, I thought I answered this soon after you posted. The tracking is good and consistent enough to reach out to 1000 yards on a 6.5 Creedmoor. I put it through the break-in procedure Dan Newberry taught me before shooting with it.
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 06-20-2017 at 02:58 PM.

Basic Member
    I have not messed with Athlon scopes personally yet, but reviews and experiences seem to be about 50/50. I've heard just as many people praising them as I have cursing them. Some are tracking well and holding it down and others have already been written off and will never buy the brand again.

So just be aware that experiences will vary and Athlon is still pretty new to the game!

I have mounted a couple of the Midas ones on some clients rifles and they seemed to hold up ok and track well. I found them to be a little on the large clunky side but other than that seemed to be a decent budget optics. I have also mounted a Cronus which is their top end optic. I found it to be very much to big and clunky and didn't find the glass overly impressive. I did however like the turret system.

Basic Member
    I shot the Helos this week on a new 6mmbr I built for a friend. Optics were not quite as sharp and my Vortex Viper HS, but adequate enough to spot bullet holes at 300 yds. However the reticle etch is so wide that the crosshairs pretty much cover up a one inch dot at 200 yds. under max magnification (34X). It's an FFP so reticle grows with increased magnification. I didn't have a chance to perform a tall target test, but will in the future to check tracking.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    I have mounted a couple of the Midas ones on some clients rifles and they seemed to hold up ok and track well. I found them to be a little on the large clunky side but other than that seemed to be a decent budget optics. I have also mounted a Cronus which is their top end optic. I found it to be very much to big and clunky and didn't find the glass overly impressive. I did however like the turret system.
    Large and Clunky? It seems you haven't messed with too many large magnification scopes. The Midas BTR is about the same size as any other high magnification 30mm tube scope,and the Cronus is right there with the 34-35mm scope tube scopes. I don't guess you've ever held a Nightforce,they are boat anchor class scopes. The glass in the Midas runs close to the Sightron SIII glass,which is pretty good glass,the Cronus will run with the Vortex Razor HD glass. The turrets on both scopes aren't as crisp as they should be,but they track pretty good.

I just ordered an IOR Valdada 4-28x50 Recon scope for my new custom build,it has a 40mm main tube,and weighs about 3 pounds. I guess you'd think it is huge. LOL

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Full_Creedmoor.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	3757

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    Large and Clunky? It seems you haven't messed with too many large magnification scopes. The Midas BTR is about the same size as any other high magnification 30mm tube scope,and the Cronus is right there with the 34-35mm scope tube scopes. I don't guess you've ever held a Nightforce,they are boat anchor class scopes. The glass in the Midas runs close to the Sightron SIII glass,which is pretty good glass,the Cronus will run with the Vortex Razor HD glass. The turrets on both scopes aren't as crisp as they should be,but they track pretty good.

I just ordered an IOR Valdada 4-28x50 Recon scope for my new custom build,it has a 40mm main tube,and weighs about 3 pounds. I guess you'd think it is huge. LOL
    Oh I have delt with plenty of high magnification large clunky optics including just about everything from the Nightforce line. I won't own a Nightforce because they are so large and heavy. I hate how they look on a nice well put together hunting rifle. Same feelings I have with the Cronus. I wont own a Vortex because you can't trust them to last more than a few range trips before you have to send them back for repair for tracking or other issues. I am a Leupold man and prefer the VX3i 6.5-20x50 for just about everything. I think they have much clearer glass than any of the brands mentioned, no extra tacticool features you don't need, they track reliably have just as good of warrantee as anyone else in the business and they weigh about half as much as a Nightforce. They also feature clean sleek lines and look just as good on a hunting rifle as they do on anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Full_Creedmoor.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	3757

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Wyominghunter
    I have the 6-24x50 Argos. I love the scope. My only issue was the turrets didnt have solid feeling clicks but I used some different grease underneath. Much better.