Thread: Shot my new xcaliber...

Basic Member

Shot my new xcaliber...

This is a 6.5 Swedish 28" varmint contour on an axis action. My first build. I pillar bedded it into a Boyd's thumbhole varmint. Using pvu factory ammo it did under half inch at 150 yards. I am very happy. I was just trying to make me some brass!!

Banned
    Well done, Half inch at 150 is like 3/8 MOA and that's about as good as I can shoot!

I have an XC in 308 and am still trying to fine a really good load for it.

I got a 3/8 out of it a couple weeks ago and with the same load (and a bit above and below) just a standard 5/8.

Basic Member
    That's pretty darn good, Alltherage, at least in my experience. Oh, I get the occasional quarter minute or less, but it certainly is not the rule. A few months back I acquired two new X-Caliber barrels in 22-250 and 6mmBR, both 8 twist and 28 inch, and I'm finding that they shoot much better than I can.

I recently took the 6mmBR to the 1000 yard range where you have to qualify to earn the right to shoot on the long distance side. To pass, I had to put 3 on the steel at 750, 500, and 250. No misses allowed and no practice shots once you've doped the course, and the R.O was spotting me.

And after qualifying, I put 6 of 10 on the steel at 1000. Wind was pretty bad, and the 105 gr was pretty much out of steam at that range, but I was able to make it happen.

It was done with a gun I built entirely from parts bought on this forum and assembled by me. That was a two years in the making dream come true for me.

Ain't this sport a kick?!
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Bought a XC Creedmoor barrel here on the forum this last winter. After some load development shot one ragged hole this last weekend. It shoots better than I can.

Basic Member
    Edit

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    That's pretty darn good, Alltherage, at least in my experience. Oh, I get the occasional quarter minute or less, but it certainly is not the rule. A few months back I acquired two new X-Caliber barrels in 22-250 and 6mmBR, both 8 twist and 28 inch, and I'm finding that they shoot much better than I can.

I recently took the 6mmBR to the 1000 yard range where you have to qualify to earn the right to shoot on the long distance side. To pass, I had to put 3 on the steel at 750, 500, and 250. No misses allowed and no practice shots once you've doped the course, and the R.O was spotting me.

And after qualifying, I put 6 of 10 on the steel at 1000. Wind was pretty bad, and the 105 gr was pretty much out of steam at that range, but I was able to make it happen.

It was done with a gun I built entirely from parts bought on this forum and assembled by me. That was a two years in the making dream come true for me.

Ain't this sport a kick?!
    Texas10, I used to live in Temple, and took my son-in-law out to BOTW to qualify, like you wrote above. He was shooting a Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter in .30-'06, which I had bedded and diamond-lapped. I loaded some Berger 185's for him, and we also had a pretty challenging day with the wind. He pegged the 250, 500, and 750 as required, and the RSO gave him the OK, after which he got 2 of 5 at 1,000. Also, I don't know of any air races in the CenTex area, but I was an air taxi pilot and flight instructor in Killeen/Temple going back to about 1990. One of my friends there was Frank Price, who flew as the Red Baron in The Great Waldo Pepper movie. The baron's Fokker was actually a 2-holer Bücker Jungmeister with a Lycoming AIO-540 engine made to look like a radial, and a third wing which was fake. He took me up in it once before he did a demo at the Oke City airshow in the late '90s, and we did his aerobatic routine, including a few inverted flat spins. Lemmetellya, when he popped that plane into the flat spin, the top wing (now the bottom wing inverted) cut just above the horizon like a knife for the 3 turns we did. We did that sequence a few times, just for fun. Each was the same. Of course, Frank was one of the 4 original inductees into the International Aerobatic Hall of Fame. (The other three were José Aresti, Duane Cole, and Curtis Pitts.) At the time of his death, he had about a dozen aerobatic planes in a barn near Moody somewhere. BTW, Frank took me through the entire training process he did for inverted flat spins prior to the flight. He was always safety-conscious (not so much rule-bound - for him, rules were a corollary to safe flying, not a cause), which makes sense since he was the founder of the Flying Tigers airshow pilots group. During his film flying days, he was associated with Tallmantz Aviation. For a retired cropduster, Frank was a true philosopher and intellectual, who thought things through in the greatest possible detail. One of the handful of truly great people I have been blessed with knowing.