Thread: New Ashbury 6.5 CM owner from Seattle - needs reloading info

New Ashbury 6.5 CM owner from Seattle - needs reloading info

Hi, I just picked up my new Savage 10 Ashbury rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, broke in the barrel with 50 rounds and with the last 5, shot a .460 group with Hornady 140 ELD Match ammo. I think I'm going to like this rifle.

I've been shooting .556 so far, working through load development to maximize accuracy on my own build, with indeterminate results so far. I'm delighted to have this new rifle and I can't wait to see what it can do.

Is there a consensus on the distance from the lands that shooters are finding most accurate in their rifles, and any starting load info? I have Berger 140 Hybrid Target bullets, H4350 powder and unfired Hornady brass, so I'm hoping someone may have tips for starting loads in the Savage 10 Ashbury, and especially what their rifles like in terms of setback from the lands. Thx,
    Jeff
    Last edited by jeffpatton00; 04-13-2017 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Mistakenly posted a reloading question in the "new guy" forum.

Basic Member
    Do a search (6.5 Creedmoor) under the Ammunition and Reloading section and you will find enough to get you started. Be patient and methodical and you will find what your rifle likes. Good luck.

Richard

Basic Member
    I have found match ammo shoots great close to the lands. I shoot all match ammo 0.020 off the lands. Hunting ammo works best at COAL, for me anyways. Tried putting hunting bullets close but turned out like a shot gun blast. As was posted above, read allot of the reloading posts. You will get an idea what most folks do. Good luck.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    I found my 6.5 cm model 16 lwh on hunting ammo 129gr SST I shot my best group at .050 off the lands a 5 shot group .698 that was with 42gr of IMR4350.

Thanks, guys, appreciate your advice.
    Jeff

Search all the powder/bullet mfr's,it's getting popular enough now there's good data out there for it.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Banned
    Berger has a method of moving bullets out .030 at a time to see what they like.

They have found some will go out .150 and like it. Others closer. I take a RCBS jr press to the range with me and play with that.

Its a nice caliber. My brother let me shoot what was a 6.5 McMillon something or the other (too many variations to keep track of). He has a Shilen bull on it (its a Lapua but I don't think there is spits worth difference between the two)

His bag setup (front and rear) was a bit shaky for me, never shot the rifle and the trigger while an acu is lighter than mine are.

I shot a 1/2 inch 5 round group with it. Recoil like a 223. Nice, just very very nice. Now granted he rolls very quality ammo.

Long term I am going to have to get a setup in 6.5 something. Might go 260 Remington as its got a bit more ability but the 6.5 Lapua /Creed is plenty for any ranges I will be at.

Basic Member
    smokinjoe I am with you all the way, it works for me !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffpatton00 View Post
    1) Is there a consensus on the distance from the lands that shooters are finding most accurate in their rifles,
    2) and any starting load info?
    3) I have Berger 140 Hybrid Target bullets, H4350 powder and unfired Hornady brass,
    4) so I'm hoping someone may have tips for starting loads in the Savage 10 Ashbury, and especially what their rifles like in terms of setback from the lands.
    Thx,
    Jeff
    Jeff, you need to not think in absolutes and things will be less confusing to you, and more apt to see what is and isn't good for your setup.
    1) If you can get the world to agree on a diety, you'll get them to agree on a jump. :)
    2) Use whatever manual makes you happy, there is no "right or wrong", more on this in a moment.
    3) Nice enough components, but that doesn't tell you what you need to know.
    4) Starting loads come from your manual, as far as your rifle, it is a mass produced thing with an allowable tollerance for components. Unless you can tell us the chamber specs, with bore and groove, we can't tell you what it likes.

So here some help to the nature of the question.
    Most folks like to rant about "lawyer loads", those people don't typically know what they are talking about. Notice how every bottle of powder on the planet has a printed caution saying something to the effect of "Drop loads by 10% when switching lots" ? Then also notice that NO ONE, in ANY manual since the now defunct A-Squared manual lists components lot numbers? Nor the date tested, or if it was pressure tested or just calculated? So grab whatever manual you like, and start at the starting load in there. Shoot several and compare YOUR velocity, to the manual. This will tell you how your specific lot of powder compares in burning rate, to what was tested in that manual. Don't expect things to line-up perfectly, and don't be surprised if they speed up as you build pressure. That simply shows how your powder is different that what was tested, and is getting cranky as the pressure builds. As far as jump, I always make a dummy round and find the OAL for every bullet, in every rifle. I personally like the Lee suggestion of 1/32", or 0.03125" jump to lands. I've never found a bullet that couldn't be made to shoot well with that amount. Honestly I think that while an important piece, far too much is made of the jump. Likewise, ignore anyone who tells you that you can "read pressure" by staring at your primers and brass. The only thing you can read is that the components reached their tensile strength and began to stretch.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.